X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mishkan
    • May 2002

"View New Posts" shows no results

Hi all ,

When I click on my "View New Posts" link, on the forum home page, I always get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I searched the vBulletin board for threads on this, and the one that came closest to my situation is this one...

Based on what seemed important in that thread, I'm including the following info.

For my admin account, I have these cookie settings...
    (1) Auto login = YES
    (2) Browse boards with cookies = YES

All other users have these cookie settings...
    (1) Auto login = NO
    (2) Browse boards with cookies = YES

So far, here is what I've done and what settings I've double-checked...
    (1) I emptied the search index and rebuilt it.
    (2) My cookie timeout is set to 30 minutes... that is 1800 seconds.
    (3) My "Time Zone Offset" in the admin CP is set to GMT+8, because my server is in Hong Kong.
    (4) My time zone in my user CP is set to GMT-4, for Eastern Daylight Savings Time, USA.

Now here's the interesting thing... right now, it is June 27, 2002, at about 9:52 PM, my local time... but here's what is recorded in my admin CP...
    (1) Last Visit = 2002-06-28 07:59:49
    (2) Last Activity = 2002-06-28 09:49:15

I recently submitted a support ticket which included a question about why "join dates" were off by 12 hours, when I added users through the admin CP, and tubedogg said... you listening, tubedoggy? ...

... your server is set to 12 hours ahead of EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) and the server's time is what is used if you leave the Join Date blank when adding a user. Since you have the timezone set correctly for your board, all other places show the time correctly, but adding a user does not take that setting into effect. I could make a fixed user.php if this really bothers you, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it...

The "join date" problem wasn't such a big deal, so I'm just living with that. But... do you think my "View New Posts" problem is connected to the user.php file?

Thanks for reading through this post... I know it's a tad long.

mishkan
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Is everybody having this problem, or just you?

Comment

• mishkan
      • May 2002

Hiya Cary ,

Good question! I just experimented with an old "test" username I had set up a long while ago.

(1) I logged in with that test username, and I clicked on the "View New Posts" link... and it worked.

(2) Then, I logged out.

(3) Then, I logged back in, with the same test username, and I clicked on the "View New Posts" link... and it did not work.

I think this supports the theory that the problem is connected to the user.php file. Anybody have more ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

mishkan

Comment

• Cary
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

Well... after you view the new posts, they aren't new anymore... so I don't think they should be listed again

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Cary
          Well... after you view the new posts, they aren't new anymore... so I don't think they should be listed again
          Correct. New posts (and the "lightbulbs" on index.php and the folder icons on forumdisplay.php being on) are determined based on your last visit time. Logging out will update your last visit time.

If there haven't been any posts since then, you won't see get any results.

Comment

• mishkan
            • May 2002

Originally posted by Cary
            That's a good thought, but I don't think that's how it works. The posts are still "new", even if I've already read them. Just to test this out, here's what you can do here, at the vBulletin board... I just did this to check it out ...

(1) Go to the forum home page, and click on the "View New Posts" link.

(2) You can even take a step further, and click on one of the threads to view it.

(3) Then, go back to the forum home page, and click on the "View New Posts" link. The thread you viewed will still be listed.

mishkan

Edit... Just saw your post, Ed, and so I logged out and logged back in and clicked the "View New Posts" link... and yup, there were no "new" posts!

Cary, please forgive me for doubting you?
            Last edited by mishkan; Thu 27 Jun '02, 7:41pm.

Comment

• Cary
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.6.x

I believe that the posts will stay new for 900 seconds (15 minutes) after you view them/view new posts, unless, you "Mark All Forums Read."

Comment

• mishkan
                • May 2002

Originally posted by mishkan
                Cary, please forgive me for doubting you?
                Last edited by mishkan; Thu 27 Jun '02, 7:40pm.

Comment

• mishkan
                  • May 2002

Okay, so now my question is going to shift from "troubleshooting" to "how do I"...

How do I create a link that people can click on to see a list of the latest posts? Say... a list of all threads with new messages posted within the last 3 days? And have that list show even if the user logs out and then logs back in, on the same day?

Thanks in advance!

mishkan

Comment

• Cary
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 3.6.x

Cary, please forgive me for doubting you? [/B]
                    lol, sure

Okay, so now my question is going to shift from "troubleshooting" to "how do I"...

How do I create a link that people can click on to see a list of the latest posts? Say... a list of all threads with new messages posted within the last 3 days? And have that list show even if the user logs out and then logs back in, on the same day?

Thanks in advance!

mishkan
                    For that you'll need a hack. http://vbulletin.org - If there isn't one already made, request one

Comment

• mishkan
                      • May 2002

Thanks again!

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                        • Apr 2000
                        • 3.6.x

search.php?action=getdaily&days=# . Should be basically self-explanatory. The days parameter defaults to 1 if you don't specify it.

Comment

• mishkan
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                          search.php?action=getdaily&days=# . Should be basically self-explanatory. The days parameter defaults to 1 if you don't specify it.
                          Should be basically self-explanatory. Now that's funny. Ed, didn't you get the memo explaining what a newbie I am?

(1) What is... search.php?action=getdaily&days=# ... ?

(2) And what do I do with it?

(3) And what will it do, once I do whatever I'm supposed to do with it?

Thanks in advance!

mishkan

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                            • Apr 2000
                            • 3.6.x

1. I suppose I should've quoted what I was referring to...

Simply link to search.php?action=getdaily&days=# where ever you want. Clicking the link will do a search that does what you want. (If you're doing this from a vB page, tack &s=$session[sessionhash] onto that.) Obviously, replace # with the number of days you want to go back to (ie, if days is set to 2, then all threads with new posts in the last 48 hours will show up.)

Try it here: days = 1 days = 3

Comment

• mishkan
                              • May 2002

Ahaaa... she says as the fog lifts and the sunlight comes streaming through... putting this all together, does this look about right?

http://www.mydomain.com/forum/search.php?action=getdaily&days=3&s=$session[sessionhash]

I'm absolutely going to put this on my board, on every page! My users will love this!

Thanks so much, Ed!

mishkan
                              Last edited by mishkan; Thu 27 Jun '02, 11:07pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...