Ack! I made a booboo (styles & replacement sets) and need heeeelp!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vBKat
    • Mar 2002

Ack! I made a booboo (styles & replacement sets) and need heeeelp!

Ok here is what happened...

I wanted a different title graphic for each of my forums, so I followed some instructions I saw and created a new style for each of my forums, renamed them all to the forum names, etc. This worked well! I went in and set the title graphic line for each and was happy.

Then a few days ago I decided to add a new replacement. I went into my replacements for the first time since I did the style thing, and I saw like 13 copies of my "UBB5" replacement set... well I didn't want to add it to 13 sets! I figured they probably got there when I created the new styles, and I figured "hey, my replacements are all the same, i don't need these extras" (can you see where this is going?) and so I deleted all but one. Then I made sure all my styles were set to use that replacement set.

About now is when I realized, to my dismay, that the title graphic is actually a replacement. So now when I change it for one forum, it changes it for allll of them.

So what do I do? I tried to create a new replacement set, but it was based on the "default" one and not my ubb one (which is almost entirely red and has lots of extra stuff I've added)...

So how do I get copies of my ubb replacement set? If I delete the default, will that mean that new copies will be made on the existing (ubb) one? I doubt it and I"m scared to try... heh....

so how do I do this?
    >^,,^<
    OpalCat
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

i think i understand your situation. you should be able to create new replacement variables in the one replacement set you have. just create new vars like {titleimageforum2}. then set the value of the vars to point to the appropriate images. then use the appropriate vars in each template set.

the other way would be to remove the {titleimage} var from each header template and manually enter the img srcs. actually, if it was me i would just remove the {titleimage} var and enter it manually in the template.

replacement vars are there for your convenience, but with your situation you will need to improvise.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

The easiest way to handle your problem is to name your title images something like logoXX.gif where XX equals the forumid of the respective forum.

Then in the header template you can reference the different images with

{imagesfolder}/logo$forumid.gif
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by wluke
        The easiest way to handle your problem is to name your title images something like logoXX.gif where XX equals the forumid of the respective forum.

images/logo$forumid.gif
        very good idea! that would have never occurred to me.

yeah, do what wluke said... much easier.

Comment

• vBKat
          • Mar 2002

Cool idea!!

The reason I don't want to recreate those replacement sets by hand for each of (13? 14 something) styles is attached below...
          >^,,^<
          OpalCat

Comment

• Susan
            • May 2000

Originally posted by wluke

images/logo$forumid.gif
            This would be your best bet. Yes, it would require that you go into each header template of your 13 stlyes and adjust that logo reference, but in the long run, it's the easiest way to do it. As you get more comfortable working with the styles and templates, it's not that big of a deal. It kind of becomes second nature.

Comment

• vBKat
              • Mar 2002

All of the styles use the same template set. I only have one of those.
              >^,,^<
              OpalCat

Comment

• Susan
                • May 2000

Okay...then follow the instructions that Wayne provided. Even easier. Only one header template to edit.

Comment

• indiCa
                  • Jan 2002

I am trying to take this step further...

as in, creating a folder in my vbb/ folder called "forumincludes"

and then having separate html files like forumXX.html with specific information for each individual forum.

However, if I include some PHP code in my forumsdisplay template, like:

Code:
                  <?php

include ("forumincludes/forum$forumid.html");

?>

it does not work. In fact, no PHP code within the PHP tags works at all. How can I implement this?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

You can only use PHP code in the phpinclude template. There is information in the FAQ forums on how to do this.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• GVJ
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

{imagesfolder}/logo$forumid.gif
                      Where do you make those updates/changes, as I wish to insert images which corresponse with the sub forum board; different from the main page header.

How does one add images to forum titles?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks
                      GVJ
                      G35 & 350Z

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...