X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lily59
    • Jul 2001

HELP! My Members Can't Upload Avatars

Is this a bug in Version 2.2.4?

Since I upgraded our forum to this newest version, several members have tried to upload/replace avatars. None of them were able to do that. They had to send them to me, and I was able to put them in place for them.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Lily59
    The Les Paul Forum
    Last edited by Lily59; Tue 19 Mar '02, 5:06am.
  • nuno
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.8.x

could it be a permissions folder problem?
    is it chmoded to 777?
    You're my Prince of Peace
    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• George L
      Former vBulletin Support
      • May 2000
      • 3.8.x

Re: HELP! My Members Can't Upload Avatars

Originally posted by Lily59
      Is this a bug in Version 2.2.4?

Since I upgraded our forum to this newest version, several members have tried to upload/replace avatars. None of them were able to do that. They had to send them to me, and I was able to put them in place for them.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
      Lily59
      The Les Paul Forum
      did you upgrade php recently?

create a file named phpinfo.php and place this code in it and post the url/link to it from your web site

<?
      phpinfo();
      ?>

i.e. yourdomain.com/phpinfo.php
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Kaelon
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.6.x

I'm getting the same error with vBulletin 2.2.4 -- I cannot seem to upload avatars via the message boards, but I can via the control panel. Here is my PHPinfo page:

Kaelon

Comment

• Kaelon
          • Jan 2002
          • 3.6.x

For added information, I did some testing, and here's what I found.

ON THE EDIT AVATAR USER FUNCTION
          It appears that just as you are clicking away from the radio-button for "Yes" (Custom Avatar), the radio button appears unselected. Furthermore, uploading an avatar returns a successful prompt, but it selects the first avatar instead. Entering a URL indicates that the image is not a valid JPG or GIF format, even though it is.

ON THE CONTROL PANEL
          Uploading an avatar DOES work via the control panel. However, entering a URL does not, and I receive the same invalid JPG or GIF format message.

Kaelon

Comment

• Kaelon
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.6.x

Furthermore, according to the manual:

Technical Note: All avatars that are uploaded to vBulletin by the administrator are stored directly on the web server hard disk drive. Custom avatars uploaded by users are stored in the MySQL database.
            I'm not sure if this would have anything to do with it, given the current status of the 2.2.4 security modifications.

Kaelon

Comment

• Legacy
              • Oct 2001
              • 3.0.0 Beta 7

Same Problem

help?

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.8.x

If you want to upload your own avatar- you have to click the yes again in the custom avatar box after you load the new avatar.
                For some reason ,in many cases it unclicks itself after you load the new avatar after browsing for it , and then it loads the default green bug avatar. be sure to check and make sure yes is selected after doing this.

i have noticed this in vB versions 2.2.3 +
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Legacy
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 3.0.0 Beta 7

That did Nothing.

VB...ANY FIX FOR THIS....

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Kaelon
                    I'm getting the same error with vBulletin 2.2.4 -- I cannot seem to upload avatars via the message boards, but I can via the control panel. Here is my PHPinfo page:

Kaelon
                    you're running php 4.01pl1 and you really need to upgrade to php 4.1.2 to one fix security bugs in php's file uploading functions
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Axel Foley
                      • May 2001
                      • 3.6.x

Same problem...

Can't upload avatars, even from the Admin CP. It seems like tue upload routine isn't called at all, I don't receive any error message. It's just like it is ignoring the action

PHP is version 4.1.2

Attachments work fine.

Last version that worked with avatars was 2.2.2.

I've upgraded to 2.2.4 a week ago and everything seemed to work fine.

What can I check? Don't think it is an upload problem since attachments work fine.
                      "Sometimes men stumble upon the truth and then hurry off as if nothing happened"
                      - Winston Churchill -

Comment

• ryansales
                        • May 2001

What if upgrading PHP isn't an option? I'm hosted with Interland...and have gotten no where with requests to upgrade.

There used to be a simple fix in the functions.php file that fixed my problem with 2.2.2, but that fix doesn't work anymore in 2.2.4.

???

Comment

• Axel Foley
                          • May 2001
                          • 3.6.x

Any one on this?

Up...please someone on this problem?
                          "Sometimes men stumble upon the truth and then hurry off as if nothing happened"
                          - Winston Churchill -

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

When you absolutely need support, your best bet is to fill out a support ticket.

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                              • Sep 2000

I just had two members report this same problem to me, which I've checked and confirmed.

1. Edit Profile (normally Options, but I changed it since Profile is the appropriate place for it)
                              2. Change Avatar
                              3. If you currently have an avatar, confirm that the Yes/No option is currently Yes
                              4. Click "Browse" and choose a file to upload as an avatar
                              5. Note that the Yes/No option has now suddenly changed to No
                              6. Change the Yes/No back to Yes again and THEN click Submit

Has this problem been introduced with 2.2.3/4? I've never had complaints about this before but am quite certain this quirk would cause a lot of confusion.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...