X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Franky
    • Jun 2001

Logging In and cookies

Hiya,

I have recently changed the URL of the board so it has a different domain name and path. I have updated the cookie path accordingly (had to do it via phpmyadmin) and everyone is still having problems logging in.

I cannot login to the control panel - I get the split screen but then login pages in each frame. The same happens on the main site, everyone can login and then the next page they go to they are logged out.

Help please!

Cheers
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Why did you update it in phpMyAdmin? You should have done this in the Admin CP.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Franky
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by smachol
      Why did you update it in phpMyAdmin? You should have done this in the Admin CP.
      Erm because you can't login. it's like you get to a page and then the cookie disappears. It just asks you to login again on the next page.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

So the login problem happened first? I didn't get that from your first message. Sorry.

Have you tried manually deleting your cokiies? You need to do this by hand rather than have the browser handle it.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mvigod
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by smachol
          So the login problem happened first? I didn't get that from your first message. Sorry.

Have you tried manually deleting your cokiies? You need to do this by hand rather than have the browser handle it.
          I asked in another thread too but is there a script that would delete the old cookies for users that we could put as a link from that error page so if they get this message over and over they can fix it themselves by clicking a link which will delete the old cookies (either php, perl or javascript?)
          Marc
          -------

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

No because cookies are stored on your local computer.

Comment

• mvigod
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by tubedogg
              No because cookies are stored on your local computer.
              Hi. What I meant was a scripts that would interface with the old cookies and delete them all for the user from our domain. It is the old cookie originally set by vbulletin that is causing the problem. Once I changed from the blank setting in the admin cp to ".rcuniverse.com" so it would cover my entire domain the problem started.

If there was a server side script or java script embedded in a page we could put up that would say "click here to delete your cookies from our domain" so they could click it and it would remove/expire the cookie so they could get the new correct one and no longer have login problems.
              Marc
              -------

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this what you want?

By the way, this method doesn't work very well if the cookies are corrupted.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mvigod
                  • Nov 2001

I guess that is what I'm looking for...

I just thought since the problem occured when I changed the "realm" for the cookie that logging out and posting with the new global realm was the cause of the problem as opposed to a corrupted cookie.

thanks.
                  Marc
                  -------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...