• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cynthia
    • Oct 2001

Getting Smilies to Work

Here's what I did:

I CHMOD 777'ed as necessary.
    I downloaded a smilie to my computer then ftp'ed it to my server in images/smilies. Then I added it in the -> CP ->Smilies->Add giving it the name "hippie" and the path images/smilie/hippie/gif and gave it ":hippie" for the "text to replace". All that seemed successful but when I checked my forums the hippie smilie is there but doesn't work. If I click on it to place it in a post text window it doesn't place anything!

~Cynthia
    Eat Your Veggies
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Re: Getting Smilies to Work

Originally posted by Cynthia
    Here's what I did:

I CHMOD 777'ed as necessary.
    I downloaded a smilie to my computer then ftp'ed it to my server in images/smilies. Then I added it in the -> CP ->Smilies->Add giving it the name "hippie" and the path images/smilie/hippie/gif and gave it ":hippie" for the "text to replace". All that seemed successful but when I checked my forums the hippie smilie is there but doesn't work. If I click on it to place it in a post text window it doesn't place anything!

~Cynthia
    I have done the same thing on my new vBB yesterday!

I first went to the admin control panel (acp) and logged in, went to the upload smiley section and tried to upload a smiley. But I had the error that I didn't had the right permissions. So I FTP-ed into my account and chmod the images/smilies directory to 777.
    Then I went back to the ACP and tried again.
    . browsed my Hard drive for the smiley
    . named it 'whatever'
    . gave it a replacement text ' :name: '
    . linked to ' images/smilies '
    Then everything uploaded 100%
    I made sure that all my smiley's would be displayed properly on the post or post reply pages (acp > options > smileys total: 25 (i have 25 total) and then went to the forum.
    Placed a test thread in my test area and put my :name: there and clicked the submit button.
    The smiley was there !

I only had one problem with the ' | ' smiley >> turned out as the '|' character with the ' ' smiley beside it - I fixed that by replacing ' | ' with another option.

Anyway!
    I hope my explanation gets you where you want to go!

Also: security issue!
    When you are done uploading and managing all your smilies, make sure not to forget to chmod the images/smilies directory back to 755
    Last edited by Floris; Tue 1 Jan '02, 11:35pm.

Comment

• Cynthia
      • Oct 2001

Well, I didn't have to do anything. It's working after all!

~C
      Eat Your Veggies

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

A great start to a new year eyh

Comment