under windows xp, whats the proper way to backup your database?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumbakaydo
    • Nov 2001

under windows xp, whats the proper way to backup your database?

can someone show me how to do this under windows, ive seen you guys show us how to do it under unix, but how about windows, i want to backup my existing vbulletin 2.2.0 db so i can prepare my upgrade to vbulletin 2.2.1

I heard i wont lose users or anything, even the templates will stay intact? So will i lose anything besides some mods/hacks during this upgrade? How about certain tables that have been added by certain hacks, will i lose these tables when i upgrade or will the tables still be there?
  • WizyWyg
    • Jul 2001

Try getting Mysql man (http://www.gossamer-threads.com ) or Phpmyadmin (or you can do it straight from your Admin Cp) I've never had problems and I back up my intranet forum on a linux machine, and my forums are on a windows machine on my host.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

If the Windows machine is sitting in front of you just pop open a DOS window and type

mysqldump -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD DATABASENAME > forumbackup.sql

replacing USERNAME PASSWORD and DATABASENAME with the appropriate info.

If not you can probably get in using Telnet or SSH...

Comment

• dumbakaydo
        • Nov 2001

can you show me how to backup the db using phpmyadmin please... since i have that installed.

Comment

• dumbakaydo
          • Nov 2001

tubedogg, wont the backup db option under the admin cp do the exact same thing? it backs all your tables to an .sql file just like what the mysqldump command does. Am i correct?

Comment

• WizyWyg
            • Jul 2001

Php My Admin example below
            There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Originally posted by dumbakaydo
              tubedogg, wont the backup db option under the admin cp do the exact same thing? it backs all your tables to an .sql file just like what the mysqldump command does. Am i correct?
              We do not recommend using the option in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin if you have access to the MySQL command line via telnet or otherwise. The reason is you can experience PHP timeout errors that you are not subject to when using mysqldump.

Comment

• WizyWyg
                • Jul 2001

If the db is too big, I do dumps of the tables in sections..I haven't had any problems with timeouts if I do it that way through phpmyadmin (my current db on the intranet i 40 megs)

Comment

• tubedogg
                  • Feb 2001

PHP timeouts not withstanding, there are other bugs with phpMyAdmin's backup routines. Good luck getting usable binary data out of it...

Comment

• WizyWyg
                    • Jul 2001

I haven't had any problems. tube, have you tried the new version of phpMyAdmin. My attachments and avatars haven't had any problems when I backed them up via phpMyAdmin (phpMyAdmin is hte only way I can backup or execute mysql queries).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...