X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blairwarlock
    • Nov 2001

Fatal Error: Timeout??

I kept receiving these errors trying to reply to a post:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\MBworld_Forums\forums\admin\functions.php on line 2162

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\MBworld_Forums\forums\admin\functions.php on line 2170

Any ideas or advice? It went away eventually.
  • Fusion
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

Increase the Timeout values for MySQL. See the MySQL documentation or the appropriate forum for details.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Blairwarlock please go to this page and enter your username to receive further support:

Comment

• Blairwarlock
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by tubedogg
        Blairwarlock please go to this page and enter your username to receive further support:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/members/forums.php
        Ok, I did. Now the problem is happening frequently. Please advise on what I need to do to mitigate this issue. Increasing the timeout is fine, but I'd like to mitigate why it's taking too long to write to the DB.

First off, how do I go about changing the timeout value if that will help? Thanks.

Comment

• Una Persson
          • May 2001

Originally posted by Blairwarlock

Ok, I did. Now the problem is happening frequently. Please advise on what I need to do to mitigate this issue. Increasing the timeout is fine, but I'd like to mitigate why it's taking too long to write to the DB.

First off, how do I go about changing the timeout value if that will help? Thanks.
          OK, my username and registration ID is entered as well. How exactly do I change the timeout value also? This error is starting to cause problems.

Is the root cause a slow CPU, or too many connections, or poor bandwidth? All of the above?

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

you can change this in your server's php.ini file

or you can place a .htaccess file in the root of your server with the following lines in the file

php_value max_execution_time 90
            php_value memory_limit 16M
            what's the average size of the threads that you reply to which receive this error ?
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Una Persson
              • May 2001

Originally posted by eva2000
              what's the average size of the threads that you reply to which receive this error ?
              Err...very small, actually. Maybe only 5-10 kb of text. It is only happening to a couple members, and most others can easily read and reply to ones that are 200kb+ with no problems.

Odd.

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Una Persson

Err...very small, actually. Maybe only 5-10 kb of text. It is only happening to a couple members, and most others can easily read and reply to ones that are 200kb+ with no problems.

Odd.
                whoops what i mean is how many replies did the thread have ?
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                  • Nov 2001

I increased my timpeou to 60, then 120 and also modified some values like max_connections = 250 and key_buffers, etc for mySQL and it still times out at 120s, but ONLY when replying to threads with 5 or more posts. Any idea why? I'm using vB 2.2.0 with latest version of php and mySQL on a Windows 2000 Server (dual 866MHz, 512mb RAM). This is getting very frustrating!

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Blairwarlock
                    I increased my timpeou to 60, then 120 and also modified some values like max_connections = 250 and key_buffers, etc for mySQL and it still times out at 120s, but ONLY when replying to threads with 5 or more posts. Any idea why? I'm using vB 2.2.0 with latest version of php and mySQL on a Windows 2000 Server (dual 866MHz, 512mb RAM). This is getting very frustrating!
                    max_connections and key buffers in my.cnf have nothing to do with it.. this timeout is a PHP time out problem

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                      • Nov 2001

ok, but isn't it having issues writing to the DB? I figure if you optimize the DB settings, it may help. Am I wrong here? I mean, some posts take 80-120s to actually post from the time you click submit. It's nice to be able to increase the timeout value, but you're really not fixing the problem which is why does it take so long for it to post in the first place.

Comment

• Una Persson
                        • May 2001

Originally posted by eva2000
                        whoops what i mean is how many replies did the thread have ?
                        Only 5 at the time for one, and 3 for the other. Which odd, since I have threads with more than a hundred posts that have no problems at all. In fact, my Members have *only* reported it when replying to very small threads.

I admit, that seems contrary to what one would expect.

BTW - thank you for the information on how to increase the timeout. I will attempt that later today and see what comes of it.

Comment

• George L
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • May 2000
                          • 3.8.x

both you check the thread with problems and see if email notification on reply is enabled on any of those posts in the threads

Comment

• Una Persson
                            • May 2001

No e-mail reply, although that was a good possibility. I don't have a mail server, so I have disabled all e-mail functions, and removed the checkboxes that would enable e-mail notification too.

Comment

• Blairwarlock
                              • Nov 2001

The thread is now 4 pages long and about half the posts have the e-mail reply enabled. I see where you're going with this, but is this a bug or is there a way to mitigate it? I'm applying the 2.2.1 patch tonight. Will that have any impact on this issue. Thanks for the help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...