X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marc Smith
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.6.x

Re-installing the 'Original' Templates

Without fully researching, I tried to 'upload' a style - Spanish - without Spanish Templates installed.

The whole styles and templates thing is just coming together in my 'understanding' of some of the software interactions. Most of my board is now in Spanish.

My question: How can I re-install the 'original' default template set?

Although when I 'imported' the style set I requested it to Create a New Style (not overwrite the Default) I found many (most? all?) of the templates have changed.
    Last edited by Marc Smith; Sun 14 Oct '01, 2:37pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Are you ssaying you no longer have a Default Style set?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Marc Smith
      • Aug 2001
      • 3.6.x

Nope - I have a default set and a UBB5 set of 'styles'. Part of the UBB5 (from the import back in early September) is used in the default I think.

I know the templates are in the database - I looked at them with mySQLAdmin. Is there any way to get a 'default set' or do I go through part of the installation process to replace all the default templates?

I saw this thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...374#post186214

and this is the thread with the set I used:

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If your installation was done right, you should be able to revert all the templates in the default set back to their originals.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Marc Smith
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.6.x

That's the strange part about it. When I expand the 'default' templates list, the templates I changed are in the blue - as the instructions say. But - the 'originals' are now all in Spanish. There is no 'revert' function. I'm thinking I can go through the install and at step 6 it says "Insert Templates". Think maybe if I went through the install to that point?

I guess I better back up the darn database first lest I loose all.

I was hoping there was a way to get a set of the original templates and import them somehow without going through the install. I really want to be sure of what I'm doing before I screw things up worse than they already are.

As I said, I looked at the database in MySQLAdmin and the default for templates is all the Spanish I wanted to bring in as a second 'style'. I didn't realize that without a Spanish Template set present that importing a new style would over write my original (default) templates.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

When you uploaded the Spanish style set you must have allowed it to overwrite your Default set. To fix this, just upload the vbulletin.style from the 2.0.3 zip file and overwrite the Default set again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Marc Smith
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.6.x

I'll try it and report the results. If it's this easy, I'll be in heaven.

Thanks for the fast help!

Comment

• Marc Smith
                • Aug 2001
                • 3.6.x

Tried that - even downloaded the current zip file when the first attempted bombed - I get this message:

-----snippo----------
                The version of the style file does not match your version of vBulletin. Please obtain an updated version of vBulletin and/or the style file.

Your template version: 2.0.3
                Style file template version: 2.0.2

To use this style regardless of version, select the correct option on the previous page.
                -----------snippo----------

Does this make sense to you? Is there a newer file? The file name (from the 'Admin' directory here at home - I'm on a 'virtual' server up east) I'm trying to upload is named "vbulletin.style".

EDIT Note: The header of the file reads: "2.0.2|||Master vBulletin Style" even though it is from the 2.0.3 zip file. If I change that number will it import OK?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Yes that sounds right. There's an error in the vbulletin.style file and it still shows 2.0.2. Just go ahead and upload. I did and everything worked fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Marc Smith
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.6.x

I changed the 'version' number in the "vbulletin.style" file header to 2.0.3 and it imported everything correctly as far as I can tell. I have to go look and see the details, but thanks!

If I spot any 'glitches' I'll report them here for continuity and for help for anyone else who does something stupid like I did...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Yep, that's the 'other' way to fix the problem. Glad it worked!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Marc Smith
                        • Aug 2001
                        • 3.6.x

I made the assumption that since it was in the 2.0.3 zip that someone had simply forgotten to change that version number in the header. I'm new to this software - early September - so I'm still learning one heck of a lot. I had UltimateBB and it was simple as html and perl. I'm new to php and MySQL. I'm not really a 'techie' so I'm half blind in not having read the big manual from front to back yet.

I now have a set of 'default' templates (back in English, thankfully) and I have a set of Spanish templates. If I want to create a 'style' which will use the Spanish templates (user selects this over the default 'style' during registration). What's the easiest way to do this?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Just create a new style that uses the Spanish template set.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Marc Smith
                            • Aug 2001
                            • 3.6.x

There's something weird going on. I did the reimport and everything was back to normal. But - when I looked closely at the 'Spanish' templates - they were in English. Luckily the 'default' templates were in English including - not Spanish like before.

--- In the Upload existing style set: (from your computer)

Style file: (upload from computer) --> espanol.style

Overwrite style existing style --> "No, Create a New Style"

Use style file even if it is for a different version of vBulletin is set to no (but the version header is OK so it works).

I'm getting something out of sequence here. I know how to 'fix' it so I guess I'll play with it for another hour or two and then call it a night. The main thing is I have (I think) everything back to the way it was. I exported the current style sheets so I shouldn't go over the edge. I just have to read and think and tinker some more.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back to let you know what happens. I'm not sure if the UBB5 style imported from the old system has anything to do with it or not or, if so, how.

My - this is FUN stuff!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

When you import the spanish.style and create a new style, what do you name this style? It should create a new set of templates to go along with this style. Check those templates. Thye should be in Spanish.

By the way I upgraded from UBB and didn't have any style problems so I don't think that's the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...