Should Certain forums be acessable only to liscensed vB users?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dalius
    • Sep 2001

Should Certain forums be acessable only to liscensed vB users?

My answer
    YES

Good idea how, is to create a new user group called Liscensed Customer or something to that matter, that is either moderated (must have profile checked to enter user group) or automatically by entering lisence.

Anyone agree?

If so, which forums should be shown only to paying members?
    No. Everyone should have access
    15.87%
    Yes. Unlicensed users should be restricted
    84.13%
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

[Edited - Wayne took care of it.]
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Wed 26 Sep '01, 8:34pm.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Poll edited to be a little more clear in its wording.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Skeptical
        • Oct 2000

I was gonna vote no, until I read the question again. As long as some are still open for visitors to view, it'll be cool. Letting them see parts of this forum can only help with sales.
        Well, there it is.
        - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
          • Apr 2001

Well the hack forum is really pointless to a person without a license

Comment

• amykhar
            • May 2001
            • 3.5.x

Non licensed users shouldn't even be able to read the messages in the hack forum.

I have grown VERY weary of the moderators having to nag people to enter the info into their profiles all over the place. Instead of getting the information we are looking for, we get threads full of sarcastic comments and arguments about entering in the information.

If Jelsoft would simply restrict the access of non-licensed users, the licensed members would not have to wade through all this, just to get the support they need.

Of course, some enterprising soul on the board will just create a new hacks board offsite and let everyone who wants to can come and get the hacks. Anything for a popular site right? Probably the same "compassionate" souls creating new boards "for the vicitims" of Sept. 11th. Gotta make a buck ya know. At least we won't have to deal with the "elite" non-licensed people here.

Sorry for the snippy tone. It is just that I am utterly sick of listening to moderators sniping at teenagers running pirated boards and would like to be able to discuss customization with fellow developers again and not just copy and paste artists who can't even get the copying and pasting right.

Amy
            http://www.eaforums.com

Comment

• Cyrus
              • Apr 2001

simply .... YES !

Comment

• orca
                • Mar 2001
                • 5.5.x

I guess the hack and customisation forum could be only for licensed users. May also the install forum..
                Ueli

Comment

• Dalius
                  • Sep 2001

Their should be 2 Support Forums Also
                  ---vB Lite Support
                  ---vB Support

Only Liscenses users can enter the vB Support, and anyone can enter vB Lite Support

Comment

• ethank
                    • Apr 2001

I voted "yes" so long as Jelsoft enables me to set in my profile other users who contribute development to my fully licensed boards. I have two programmers, one in Austria and one in Germany who help me out and need to use the support forums. I don't want to give them my license info, so I think Jelsoft should let me put their usernames into my profile as developers on my board.

Ethan

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

Before I buy something I want to know everything about it.

Lets say there were two very similiar php/mysql based forums. Most people would end up going with the one offering better support and customization (even if its through hacks).

Perhaps then the answer is not restricting who can access a certain forum, but instead limiting the ability to post there to registered members.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• klisis
                        • May 2000

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra

Perhaps then the answer is not restricting who can access a certain forum, but instead limiting the ability to post there to registered members.
                        Ye, good idea.

Comment

• Fred
                          • Jun 2000
                          • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

I went with, Yes.

Comment

• merk
                            • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                            The entire point of this 'vote' is to lock down these forums, so the people who dont hold a valid licence _cannot_ access any questions / hacks at all.

I for one dread the thought of non licenced vB users using the hacks i release. My work is done, for me, and if i wish, i will release it to the vB community, that is, the PAYING vB community.

I can understand there are people who dont wish to give out their licence information, i am one of them.

Solution: Do it for them. Your profile doesnt remember your password, only the licence number. So what harm is there?

Let them give you their password, you enter it, done. Thats what i did. What exactly can someone do with a number without its password?

Comment

• mjames
                              • Nov 2000
                              • 3.8.x

I voted yes. Certaintly, some forums should be open to all people, particularly those who are considering purchasing vB. But I think the Hacks forum should be member-only.
                              Marc James
                              Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                              Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...