X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kier
    Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
    • Sep 2000

Re-enable the Spell Check Facility

When vBulletin 2 was in beta, it included a spell-checking facility for posts, using spellchecker.net as the spelling engine. However, during the development of the product, we were informed that spellchecker.net was poised to drop support for the free spell-checking facility at any time, so we disabled its functionality in vBulletin for the final product release.

However, if you would like to add the system back into your board, it's not particularly difficult to do so.

The following text by wluke details the steps necessary to reenable the spell check system. If you look at the default templates, you will find that much of the alterations to the templates that are done below are already in the templates, but are commented-out using HTML <!-- xyz --> tags.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tested this but this is how Spellchecker.net was installed before.

1. Download all the spellchecker.net files and upload them to a directory called spellcheck under your forum directory.

2. Edit the spch.js file so that it looks for a form with the name of "vbform".

3. Edit the editpost, newthread, newreply, sendprivmsg, and calendar_enterevent to include the following.

In the Head section add:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="$bburl/spellcheck/spch.js"></script>
    With the submit buttons add:
    Code:
    <input type="button" class="bginput" value="Spell Check" onclick="var f=document.forms['vbform']; doSpell( '$spellchecklang', f.message, '$bburl/spellcheck/sproxy.php', true);">
    Make sure the form has a name attribute of "vbform" and the textarea input has a name of "message" but these should be set.

Unless Spellchecker.net has drastically altered their files in the last 2 months this should work. Sorry about the delay but I got sidetracked.
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

As a novice, I'd like to wait until someone else here actually
    installs this.

I am running 2.0.3 right now. Has anyone tried this?

David

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• rockergrrl
      • Jul 2000

I had it re-enabled last month - and then I ended up re-uploading my vb files after I accidently deleted them when I was working on another vB site at the same time... hehe

It works...
      Not sure how long spellchecker will continue their services... But I re-enabled them last month though... I'll get around to doing in again soon...

its not that hard... really its not...

Comment

• FWC
        • Jul 2001

Originally posted by David Copeland
        As a novice, I'd like to wait until someone else here actually
        installs this.

I am running 2.0.3 right now. Has anyone tried this?

David
        I've had it running for more than a month. It was really easy to do.
        FWC
        White Sox Interactive Forums

Comment

• SteveP
          • Sep 2001

I was looking for this thanks

Comment

• fury
            • Jun 2001

k... *puts on his dunce cap*

Where exactly in the file do I put "vbform"

The file they sent me is nearly completely devoid of spaces and returns, so is nearly impossible to read

Comment

• snyx
              • Aug 2000
              • 3.5.x

I just make a huge post on how to step-by-step add it. Sorry Kier, hope I didn't steal your thunder.

MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...