Clear All
  • della
    • Oct 2001

Memory problems?

Hi all,

...need some help.

vB starting acting funny over the weekend and is now not responding:

I kept getting error emails with text to the effect of:

Database error in vBulletin: Invalid SQL: SELECT forumid,canview,canpostnew FROM forumpermission WHERE usergroupid='1'
    mysql error: MySQL client run out of memory
    mysql error number: 2008
    Date: Monday 16th of September 2002 07:06:16 AM
    Script: /Forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=126
    Referer:

I contact my host to ask if there was a server problem (they recently updated their FreeBSD install to 4.6), or if they needed to reboot, etc. But, they told me that forum code is ineffecient and I should debug/optimize... Ya, that's a lot of help.

So, in part, that motivated me to update my vB install from v2.0.3 to v2.2.7. The update went fine (ie, I can access my MySQL server), but did not help with anything. I can't even access my admin page.

Here are the links to the various info pages:

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You won't like it but my advice is to find a new host. This one clearly does not know how to manage a server and would rather blame the software than learn how to optimize and manage mySQL.

Note that mysqlinfo shows '0' mysql processes running. Ask them to explain how this is a problem with vB.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• della
      • Oct 2001

can't move

...ya, I was none too happy with their response... But, it is not really an option to move at this stage...

I must admit that I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff... I am great at general db and php coding, but not the server side stuff...

Can you provide any more constructive feedback beyond moving host? That is, any info in general or from the above info links that I can go to them and say "look, you need to...".

Also, might a simple "reboot" help in this situation.

I can't imagine that gaining a few more users or posts over the weekend would have tipped us past the resource limits...

Thanks!

Jason

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

As I pointed out, mysqlinfo shows no processes running. This should be a clue to them that something is wrong. Ask them to restart MySQL and if you still have problems ask them to reboot the server.

I wish I could be more constructive but I do not have root access to this server and I have no magic words that will make your host behave responsibly.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• della
          • Oct 2001

thanks

...ok, cool. I'll point that out and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Jason

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

looks like they rather than optimise mysql have decided to set it to automatically flush tables every XX amount of time... not good especially during peak mysql usage times

how memory and cpu speed is on your server ?
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• della
              • Oct 2001

totally bust

...ya, I noticed the flush table thing, but that seems rather tweaky. At this point, the entire forum is bust and inaccessible...

Sadly, I have no clue what the server is. But, I did find this policy regarding resource usage:

(as an aside, I think I am way over the 20mb disk space limit...)

Jason

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

download and install phpsysinfo at http://phpsysinfo.sourceforge.net/ and post the url to the phpsysinfo page it will show what hardware you have
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• della
                  • Oct 2001

not too beefy...

...ok, found the page with configs. The MySQL db is sitting on db12 (Celeron 667 MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB disk) and the PHP scripts/etc are sitting on ynilo (Athlon 1400 MHz, 512MB DDR RAM, 25GB disk).

Not that tells us much. Up until yesterday, it seemed to be enough.

Jason

Comment

• della
                    • Oct 2001

db alive

...well, the db seems to be alive because I can access via phpMyAdmin, and I did these two small queries:

(select my record from the user table)

(running the same query on the forumpermission table mentioned in my first post above)

(select all usernames from user table)

These are very simple, of course, but nice to see the system/MySQL is alive...

Jason

Comment

• George L
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

Re: not too beefy...

Originally posted by della
                      ...ok, found the page with configs. The MySQL db is sitting on db12 (Celeron 667 MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB disk) and the PHP scripts/etc are sitting on ynilo (Athlon 1400 MHz, 512MB DDR RAM, 25GB disk).

Not that tells us much. Up until yesterday, it seemed to be enough.

Jason
                      there's you problem the database server is severely lacking in hardware... not enough memory, slow disk drives and celery is not really meant for servers

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Re: Re: not too beefy...

Originally posted by eva2000
                        ... and celery is not really meant for servers
                        I didn't know that! Would broccoli work better?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• della
                          • Oct 2001

working before

...fine, I agree that it is a puny system... But, why has it been working fine for the past year? Can it be that whatever new users/posts over the weekend just burst its seems???

Jason

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Re: Re: Re: not too beefy...

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            I didn't know that! Would broccoli work better?
                            pc lingo.. celery = celeron hehe

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Re: working before

Originally posted by della
                              ...fine, I agree that it is a puny system... But, why has it been working fine for the past year? Can it be that whatever new users/posts over the weekend just burst its seems???

Jason
                              hard to say could be increased mysql usage nowadays or just the configuration of mysql settings changed or are no longer adequate and need retuning or a server upgrade

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...