X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blazin
    • Jun 2002

Error 2013 but server up for 6 days

Hello,

Ive been running vBulletin without any incident for about 8 months now. I've recently switched ISP's and when I transferred over to the new server I started getting error emails, always error 2013. I have been switched over for about 1 week now, some days i get 15-20, others I have gotten 150-200. I have asked my ISP but they report no problems. As stated in the title, when I do a status on mysqladmin, I get the server has been up for 6 days.

I've read all the other posts that I could find about error 2013, but am unclear what my problem is specifically. I had no problems on the old ISP, and everything has been copied exactly over to the new server; none of the code has changed except the config.php files appropriately. I exported my database using mysql Front and had my ISP created a dump of the binary data tables. The database seems to be complete. Ive read there is a number of reasons this 2013 can occur, but if the server has been up what else could it be? I have tried switching the persistant connections switch in the config.php, no difference.

Here is a sample of what I'm getting.

Database error in vBulletin 2.2.5:

Invalid SQL: UPDATE session SET lastactivity=1024618554,location='/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9' WHERE sessionhash='12baeb1fb43de123b0cb00e783ece59d'
    mysql error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

mysql error number: 2013

Date: Thursday 20th of June 2002 08:17:28 PM
    Script: http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/forum....php?forumid=9
    Referer: http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/index.php?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike
  • andrewpfeifer
    • Oct 2000
    • 3.5.x

Have you tried running repair.php from the /extras/ directory?
    - Andrew Pfeifer

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

What that error usually means is the MySQL server timed out.

Are you getting that error constantly or just at certain times or...?

Comment

• blazin
        • Jun 2002

i havent tried repair.php - it seems like my database is ok, its something with mySQL server...i think

tubedogg - the errors happen around the clock. There is no pattern that I can see. It is not coming from a specific script either.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

Repair.php isn't going to solve this. It's a server problem. If it's happening frequently then contact your host and ask them why MySQL keeps going down.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• blazin
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by smachol
            Repair.php isn't going to solve this. It's a server problem. If it's happening frequently then contact your host and ask them why MySQL keeps going down.
            If MySQL was going down, wouldnt the uptime status reset? I have asked my ISP several times, they say everything is fine on their end and that its something in the coding. Im not computer savvy enough with Unix/mysql etc to argue and back my statements up.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Your host is wrong. The problem is in the server side. And no, this would not show in 'uptime'. Either MySQL is crashing frequently or they have a cron job that restarts it on a regular basis. Both instances are an indicatuion of a poorly managed server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• blazin
                • Jun 2002

thanks for the quick replies. Is there anything I can suggest to him to maybe solve this problem? is there anything i can post from the server (variables, etc...) that would give any valuable info?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Honestly if you need to tell him that the MySQL server is going down then he's not really doing his job as a host. Just copy him every time you get these messages.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• blazin
                    • Jun 2002

ive been trying to find a pattern: it seems most of the errors have something to do with attachments, although i just got one that wasnt attachment related....and when i get a batch of errors, they all have the same session id.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Perhaps PHP is timing out on a large attachment transfer. Although usually will will get a more specific error about that.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Updated explanation at http://vbtechsupport.com/433/

The most common reason for the MySQL server has gone away error

1. Is that the server timed out and closed the connection. By default, the server closes the connection after 8 hours or 28800 seconds if nothing has happened. You can change the time limit by setting the wait_timeout variable when you start mysqld via your server's /etc/my.cnf as well.

2. Another common reason to receive the MySQL server has gone away error is because you have issued a ``close'' on your MySQL connection and then tried to run a query on the closed connection. You can check that the MySQL hasn't died by executing mysqladmin version and examining the uptime.

i.e. to check mysql uptime, in shell as root user type:

mysqladmin -u root -p version

3. You can also get these errors if you send a query to the server that is incorrect or too large. If mysqld gets a packet that is too large or out of order, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. If you need big queries (for example, if you are working with big BLOB columns), you can increase the query limit by starting mysqld with the -O max_allowed_packet=# option (default 1M) or via max_allowed_packet variable in your /etc/my.cnf file and restarting mysql after you edited your /etc/my.cnf file. The extra memory is allocated on demand, so mysqld will use more memory only when you issue a big query or when mysqld must return a big result row

4. or simply your host restarted mysql.. i'd contact your web host
                        Last edited by George L; Sat 9 Apr '11, 4:20am.
                        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• blazin
                          • Jun 2002

I ran the mysqladmin command thru my shell access and this is what I get:

Server version 3.23.40-log
                          Protocol version 10
                          Connection ###.###.## via TCP/IP
                          TCP port 3306
                          Uptime: 8 days 3 hours 42 min 13 sec

Threads: 4 Questions: 14880474 Slow queries: 30 Opens: 848 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 355 Queries per second avg: 21.121

Also, my wait_timeout value is set at 90.

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by blazin
                            I ran the mysqladmin command thru my shell access and this is what I get:

Server version 3.23.40-log
                            Protocol version 10
                            Connection ###.###.## via TCP/IP
                            TCP port 3306
                            Uptime: 8 days 3 hours 42 min 13 sec

Threads: 4 Questions: 14880474 Slow queries: 30 Opens: 848 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 355 Queries per second avg: 21.121

Also, my wait_timeout value is set at 90.
                            wait_timeout = 90

set it back to 28800 or 14400 or 7200 at least but not 90 seconds
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• blazin
                              • Jun 2002

I had the ISP set the wait_timeout value to 28800... so far no errors!!! its been about 10 hours.... never went that long without getting them so this is a good sign.

Thanks guys for your help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...