Failure To Edit Location Field

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DVD Plaza
    • Sep 2000

Interesting - does this mean you know what caused it? Will John be editing his announcement that register_globals is the cause of these problems?

I'll give it a shot tonight, excellent work Freddie!

Would whatever you changed for this be similar to what is causing the problem with doing an admin edit of (specific) profiles?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by DVD Plaza
      Interesting - does this mean you know what caused it? Will John be editing his announcement that register_globals is the cause of these problems?

I'll give it a shot tonight, excellent work Freddie!

Would whatever you changed for this be similar to what is causing the problem with doing an admin edit of (specific) profiles?
      Well DVDtalk, give me an admin account to your forum and an ftp login if you want me to diagnose that one.

Comment

• DVD Plaza
        • Sep 2000

DVDtalk???

Why would you need FTP access? We specifically don't use FTP anyways.

What would you need admin access for?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
          • May 2000
          • 1.1.x

I meant you, sorry.

One needs admin access to modify users and one needs ftp access to modify the .php files.

I could duplicate the template problem but I have had no luck with this one. If anyone else has this problem and is able to duplicate it with specific users than give me the info I requested from dvdplaza. You may submit the information in a support ticket at www.vbulletin.com/members

Comment

• DVD Plaza
            • Sep 2000

Originally posted by freddie
            I could duplicate the template problem[/url]
            What did you change that enabled you to experience the template quirk? Just curious whether that setting/change may also be responsible for the other quirks.

one needs ftp access to modify the .php files.
            Ah, well that would rule us out anyway - even if we did use FTP there is no way in hell I could have anyone tampering with our live environment.

One needs admin access to modify users[/url]
            I'll reinstall PHP 4.2 tonight (it's Monday afternoon here at the moment) and see if I can find an account (I can't remember the accounts I had problems with before) that causes the mySQL failure when editing the profile - at the moment there would be nothing for you to see if you did log in

I'll let you know, unless someone else is able to help sooner.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
              • May 2000
              • 1.1.x

Well, I am not just 'anyone' and modifying admin/user.php won't disrupt anything going on in the forums. As I said, anyone who can reproduce this problem and can grant my requests, submit a support ticket.

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                • Sep 2000

Confirmed that the template issue is definitely resolved here too!

I cannot yet find an account to reproduce the mySQL fault I, and others, experienced before but I've left PHP 4.2 running now and will see what happens - touch wood!

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                  • Sep 2000

I thought I'd have good news to report, which I kind of do - the templates as I said are fine and we haven't (yet) had any mySQL errors. We've been running under PHP 4.2 for nearly two days now without issues, so I thought...

I have a handful of members (and growing) telling me they are getting a login prompt virtually every time they open a thread. Some are saying they must relogin each time this happens, others are saying they refresh.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce this, so I can't provide any more information than that? Sorry

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                    • Sep 2000

*BUMP* The number of complaints I'm receiving is getting out of hand, there's quite a few people now having login problems - some people doing the login and being immediately presented with ANOTHER request to login!

Reverted to PHP 4.1.x quickly and tested with a couple of users, no problem, upgraded back to PHP 4.2 and problem is back. Yet I, and I'm sure others, are having no such difficulties...?!?!?

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                      • May 2000
                      • 1.1.x

Ok try this admin/user.php to fix the SQL problem.

php 4.2.0 is returning different results for some queries than any other version of php returns. If you plug these queries into phpMyadmin you will get the expected result but 4.2.0 is doing something to make the SQL be more, strict, if you may.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                        • May 2000
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by DVD Plaza
                        *BUMP* The number of complaints I'm receiving is getting out of hand, there's quite a few people now having login problems - some people doing the login and being immediately presented with ANOTHER request to login!

Reverted to PHP 4.1.x quickly and tested with a couple of users, no problem, upgraded back to PHP 4.2 and problem is back. Yet I, and I'm sure others, are having no such difficulties...?!?!?
                        Are they only being prompted when viewing a thread, or is it happening with other forum actions also? I would say it is just another query that is returning different results under 4.2.0 than any other version of PHP but finding that query isn't so easy to do.

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                          • Sep 2000

Ok try this admin/user.php to fix the SQL problem. php 4.2.0 is returning different results for some queries than any other version of php returns. If you plug these queries into phpMyadmin you will get the expected result but 4.2.0 is doing something to make the SQL be more, strict, if you may.
                          I think you're dead right, sounds exactly like the stupid problem I've had with sh#tloads of intermittent PHP errors occurring (refer to this thread). For example:
                          $message.="mysql error: $this->errdesc\n\n";
                          Works 90% of the time, but the other 10%-15% PHP 4.2 goes ape about having an unexpected "\" so the following change fixes that:
                          $message.="mysql error: " . $this->errdesc . "\n\n";
                          In other words, as you say with the SQL, sounds like PHP 4.2 is being far more strict - though in this case it's being damned intermittent about it. This has been a pure nightmare for me since PHP 4.1 began introducing these stupid quirks, but after four months of tolerating sh#tloads of failures my changes last night have seen today produce bugger all problems (other than two more cases of $blah->blah within double quotes in a dotBanner script, causing intermittent problems - have now changed that too).

I'll upload your revised script tonight, though will try finding an account acting up first so that I know it worked.

Are they only being prompted when viewing a thread, or is it happening with other forum actions also? I would say it is just another query that is returning different results under 4.2.0 than any other version of PHP but finding that query isn't so easy to do.
                          I believe that is the case, but will double check.

Thanks for your help freddie

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                            • Sep 2000

Okay just waiting for a few to get back to me now, but I can tell you it's definitely READING THREADS and one member mentioned they got a login prompt when they tried POSTING a message as well!

Given all the other problems I've had with PHP 4.1+ I can understand this stupid situation - what I don't understand is why the devil is it only happening to some people?!?

Comment

• DVD Plaza
                              • Sep 2000

It would appear thread listings are not affected, however the main forum listing IS.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                                • May 2000
                                • 1.1.x

There have always been issues with putting $this->errdesc inside of quotes so you should generally always use class pointers with the dot operator. I thought we had done that with all of the pointers in db_mysql.php
                                Last edited by Freddie Bingham; Wed 1 May '02, 10:03pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...