X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thierry
    • Dec 2001

vBulletin countains Spy codes ?

I've found code in the index.php (from admin directory).

All the users can get my license # from some php files.

What about that ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry
    Last edited by tubedogg; Mon 21 Jan '02, 9:24am.
  • Fusion
    • Aug 2001
    • 3.8.x

It's part of Jelsoft's continuing work to battle software-piracy. That the license is in use is logged by vbulletin.com in an area where (I believe) only John can access it. Each license is also linked to a site-name and a registered email-address, so it's quite easy for Jelsoft to check the validity of the site that created the log-entry.

Use the Search-function to find other threads where this has been discussed at length in the past.
    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Thierry
      • Dec 2001

It's not a problem for me BUT I think this must be told to the customers. We all use a lot of security tools in order to secure our networks, it's not to allow some "non-documented" trojan ! My web server (which support vBulletin) is a server, not a web client! In fact, this feature does not allow to get upgrade easier. It's just a spy not documented. For this reason, I'll take measures to block this (rule in firewall is easy to create).

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Dec 2000

yeah but whats the point of a liscence number without the customer number and customer password, they can't do anything with it, unless they obtain a copy of vBulletin and change that liscence number to match yours which would incriminate you and people would think that you give out vBulletin to people

I started off this post thinking that it was ok, and i've just realised its not. People could incriminate you if they have your liscence number.
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Fusion
          • Aug 2001
          • 3.8.x

Heheheh, an excellent example of "thinking on his feet".
          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Dec 2000

I wonder what Jelsoft do if they find that your liscence number appears from multiple sites, ie its calling home with your liscence number and your using one liscence to run 2 or 3 boards.

Surely someone must have done this before, if so what happened to them?
            Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

This has been discussed many many times before. None of your users can access your license information (unless you allow them to access your Admin CP which would be rather silly) and the information is only used to ensure that each license is only powering one installation. Users who distribute their license and/or vBulletin will have their licenses cancelled and all available legal measures will be taken against such persons to protect Jelsoft's intellectual property.

This is covered in the license:
              From time to time, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited may inspect your registration integrity. This will be done without collecting any information whatsoever about yourself, your server or your users. The only information verified will be your license number and the domain on which the software is run. Should we discover discrepancies in the software usage, be aware that you may lose your license and may face legal actions for Software Piracy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...