Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catka
    • Apr 2001

Automated Backups

Does anyone have a tool or suggestion for scheduling an automated backup of the forums? Our Win2000 server runs nightly backups and it's so nice with our MS SQL databases as there is an included tool but there doesn't seem to be anything with MySQL for that.

Last night something corrupted our users db and so we wanted to copy over the backup however (I'm not techy so can only explain this roughly) apparently the files which are copied nightly are locked by MySQL so the backup is from a month ago even though it runs every night! Anyway the end result was lost users since the backup was useless.

Hoping for the day vb is ported to MS SQL 2000
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

simply go to http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...&threadid=4256

use the backup cron script to schedule a cronjob for backing up mysql

i use 2 copies of the script so to backup my mysql database every 12 hrs into 2 folders - 1 copy backs up in the morning to one backup folder and another copy backs up 12 hrs later from that one to a 2nd backup folder
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Catka
      • Apr 2001

I'm not the server manager but I thought cron was Unix.

This is a Win2000 server.

We tried just copying the files via a nightly scheduled backup but that doesn't work due to file locking by MySQL.

So we tried using the MySQL dump command to dump the data to a text file and that works fine but only from the command line. We need a way to schedule it so it will run as part of the nightly processes.

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Catka
        I'm not the server manager but I thought cron was Unix.

This is a Win2000 server.

We tried just copying the files via a nightly scheduled backup but that doesn't work due to file locking by MySQL.

So we tried using the MySQL dump command to dump the data to a text file and that works fine but only from the command line. We need a way to schedule it so it will run as part of the nightly processes.
        i'm unfamiliar with windows server scheduling

but check out sqlboss products i believe they have auto backup functions for windows http://www.SQLBoss.com
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...