Moving Servers and Telnet

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tucklis
    • Oct 2002

how do I telnet from my own desktop machine, what command do I type?

Comment

• tucklis
      • Oct 2002

Anyone know anything about dbtools? Can I use this instead of telnet??

Thanks for any help!

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

How to Telnet to a Host:
        http://www.sfsu.edu/~helpdesk/docs/internet/telnet.htm
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tucklis
          • Oct 2002

Thanks for the reply Steve, but I'm still in trouble (

Why is this so difficult! Arrrgh. Let me give a run down of the problems and hopefully someone can help me solve it!

I have tried the 'official steps' for moving servers with a freeware telnet / ssh program called "puTTy". But I get stuck on step 2:

Then type
          ftp MACHINE2
          Replace MACHINE2 with the host name (eg. www.example.com ) or IP address (eg. 192.168.0.0 ) of your new server. This should open a connection and ask for your username/password, then it should say ftp>

When I try to ftp from my old host to my new mySQL host (fasthosts.co.uk). It gives me the error message "connection refused". I rang up tech support and they said they don't allow ftp access. Does this mean I can't use telnet with the ftp command??

I've managed to do an sql dump from my old host to my webspace and then from my webspace to my desktop.

So as another method I tried downloading dbtools (dbtools.com.br) and using "load dump" with the GUI they have onto my new database, but it came up with lots of errors such as:

You have an error in your SQL syntax near '---- Dumping data for table 'access'--LOCK TABLES access WRITE' at line 1
          You have an error in your SQL syntax near '---- Table structure for table 'adminlog'--DROP TABLE IF EXISTS adminlog' at line 1

What am I to do? Tech support doesn't really seem that sure either - they said I could do it with dbtools and that I could do it with telnet but I can't use FTP. I'm confused

Please help!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Just use ftp on your home machine. Download the backup file to your home machine then upload it to the new server.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tucklis
              • Oct 2002

I can't ftp into my new server. It's a shared databse server and they don't allow this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

I've never heard of a web host that doesn't allow FTP!

Then how did you upload your vB files? Whatever method you used for that you can also use for the backup file.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tucklis
                  • Oct 2002

I am able to login to the database with dbtools but not with telnet

The database is on a seperate server - I can access my main webspace via ftp but can't login to my database server

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

I'm not sure what this means. What does this have to do with uploading the backup file to the new server?

It would help if you tell us exactly what you are doing and what happens when you do it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tucklis
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      I'm not sure what this means. What does this have to do with uploading the backup file to the new server?

It would help if you tell us exactly what you are doing and what happens when you do it.
                      Thanks for your ongoing help Steve.

OK.

I am trying to follow the instructions to move a vBulletin database from one server to another.

Here is a transcript of what I type in my SSH client:

login as: joebloggs
                      Sent username "joebloggs"
                      [email protected]'s password:
                      Last login: Thu Jan 30 18:01:09 2003 from pc-00-30-100-162-hw.blueyonder.co.uk
                      Linux 2.4.18.
                      venus:~$ cd www/backup (my old host dir where dump.sql is located)
                      venus:~/www/backup$ ftp 256.023.193.145 (the ip of my database for new host)
                      ftp: connect: Connection refused
                      ftp>

This is what happens.

Comment

• tucklis
                        • Oct 2002

I think I may have solved it with the help of tech support, I'll keep you posted...

Comment

• tucklis
                          • Oct 2002

Apparently there were lots of extra comments added to my .sql file when I dumped it to my webspace. Tech support helped clean these up and I uploaded successfully via dbtools except for a few errors:

Loading Server mysql01 (MySQL): Connected.
                          You have an error in your SQL syntax near '---- Dumping data for table 'search'--LOCK TABLES search WRITE' at line 1
                          You have an error in your SQL syntax near '---- Table structure for table 'searchindex'--DROP TABLE IF EXISTS searchindex' at line 1
                          You have an error in your SQL syntax near '---- Dumping data for table 'searchindex'--LOCK TABLES searchindex WRITE' at line 1
                          File C:\dump3.sql Loaded Successfully.

Will this mess up / crash my forum?

Cheers,

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

It shouldn't but you might want to check out your search function just to be sure. You can also empty and rebuild the searchindex if there are problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• tucklis
                              • Oct 2002

It seems to be working ok now. Thanks for all your help smachol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...