Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rapdis
    • Oct 2002

Moving Server

I need help with moving server, i know its in the manual, but i have no idea what SSH is and all that.

I have the sql file backed up on my local pc and need to restore it on the new server... please give me step by step idiot proof guide on how to do this.
  • JasonP
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by rapdis
    I need help with moving server, i know its in the manual, but i have no idea what SSH is and all that.

I have the sql file backed up on my local pc and need to restore it on the new server... please give me step by step idiot proof guide on how to do this.

Go to the members section from the main VB site (vbulletin.com) and there you will see a step by step install to the new server.

Comment

• Bungie
      • Jun 2002

First you must have SSH access to your host server. If you aren't sure you do, ask them.

Putty SSH Client Download Link

Download Putty (an external SSH client) and install it. Open it up and then fill in the information about your server:

HostName: ???
      Port: Usually 23
      Protocol: SSH

Now click "Open"

It will then prompt you for your username and password via the dialog box, enter your account username and password and you will be logged in.

From there, enter the below commands, substituting the variables for your own.

To backup your database, type this command:

mysqldump -u username -ppassword dbname > /path/to/backupfile.sql

(eg. /home/username/filename.sql, or just /backupfile.sql)

To restore your database from a file, type this command:

mysqldump -u username -ppassword dbname < /path/to/backupfile.sql

The only difference you'll notice in those two commands is the switch of the > to <.

Hope this helps in some way.
      Last edited by Bungie; Sat 4 Jan '03, 7:03pm.

Comment

• rapdis
        • Oct 2002

OK i did all off that and it went through successful but we have a problem

Please click http://207.44.172.101/~admin15/ to see it

Comment

• JasonP
          • Jul 2002

either that address is wrong or you're missing something, because I get nothing.

Comment

• JasonP
            • Jul 2002

Never mind I got it,

Were you running an older version of vb, then installed a newer version with an older database?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

OK i did all off that and it went through successful but we have a problem

Please click http://207.44.172.101/~admin15/ to see it
              The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. You can try turning persistent connections off in your config.php:

PHP Code:
              // use persistant connections to the database
              // 0 = don't use
              // 1 = use
              $usepconnect 0
              But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise
              the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on that error:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rapdis
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by JasonP
                Never mind I got it,

Were you running an older version of vb, then installed a newer version with an older database?
                I was running an older version yes... let me try increasing the connections...

Comment

• rapdis
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. You can try turning persistent connections off in your config.php:

PHP Code:
                  // use persistant connections to the database
                  // 0 = don't use
                  // 1 = use
                  $usepconnect 0
                  But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise
                  the maximum number of connections they allow.

Here is more info on that error:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/o/Too_many_connections.html
                  on that site, it says...

"If you need more connections than the default (100), then you should restart mysqld with a bigger value for the max_connections variable."

If the default is 100... then it shouldn't max out coz im the only one trying to access it, only i know that address, i havn't done the DNS change from my old server yet, so i definatly know, im the only one trying to access it.

any more suggestions.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

You're not getting the same error now. This time the error is:

<!-- Database error in vBulletin 2.2.4:

Invalid SQL: INSERT INTO session (sessionhash,userid,host,useragent,lastactivity,althash,location) VALUES ('bbd4e38de3c2c643bd1195bc49c5b70e',0,'68.98.227.155','','1042312409','','/~admin15/')
                    mysql error: Unknown column 'althash' in 'field list'

mysql error number: 1054

Date: Saturday 11th of January 2003 01:13:29 PM
                    Script: http://www.rapdis.com/forum/~admin15/
                    Referer:
                    This one means that you are running a database from an older version than the vB files you have uploaded. What version is the database and what version are your vB files? You will need to run the appropriate upgrade scripts to upgrade your database.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• rapdis
                      • Oct 2002

You're not getting the same error now. This time the error is:

This one means that you are running a database from an older version than the vB files you have uploaded. What version is the database and what version are your vB files? You will need to run the appropriate upgrade scripts to upgrade your database.
                      i had 2.2.4 and now have 2.2.9 and restored the o;d database of 2.2.4, where are the scripts, the only one i can find upgrades you to 2.2.5

Im following http://www.vbulletin.com/members/upgrade.html

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

All the upgrade scripts you need to upgrade from 2.2.4 to 2.2.9 are in the admin folder of the 2.2.9 zip file:

upgrade18.php
                        upgrade19.php
                        upgrade20.php
                        upgrade21.php
                        upgrade22.php

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• rapdis
                          • Oct 2002

All the upgrade scripts you need to upgrade from 2.2.4 to 2.2.9 are in the admin folder of the 2.2.9 zip file:

upgrade18.php
                          upgrade19.php
                          upgrade20.php
                          upgrade21.php
                          upgrade22.php
                          you know what, im glad to be involved with such a supportive team, customer service is always the key, thank you, it works now, where can i find free skins for 2.2.9, i love the tech style but thats for 2.2.5, any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

There are a few sites out there that offer style sets. The only one that comes to mind right now is http://www.vbulletintemplates.com

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...