How do I install VB again without deleting my users' info?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mli
    • Jul 2002

How do I install VB again without deleting my users' info?

I want to do a clean install of Vbulletin(reset the database and everything) because things are getting really messy and a few things are no longer working. I REALLY need to keep my user's info intact though. I would like everything in the users' profiles to remain intact. Their posts, names, locations, blah, blah, blah.

I have access to PHPMyAdmin btw.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

There is no vB to vB importer. You can't do a "clean" install and save some data. Instead you should just delete whatever posts, forums, and other information you don't want anymore. You can do this in the Admin CP.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mli
      I want to do a clean install of Vbulletin(reset the database and everything) because things are getting really messy and a few things are no longer working. I REALLY need to keep my user's info intact though. I would like everything in the users' profiles to remain intact. Their posts, names, locations, blah, blah, blah.

I have access to PHPMyAdmin btw.
      Do a Datadump of your User and Userfield tables.

Do your new install and then import the user and userfield tables.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mli
        • Jul 2002

Lol, two very expierenced people are disagreeing. Would what Wayne Luke said work?

If so how would I "import" the two tables?
        Last edited by mli; Sun 15 Dec '02, 5:51pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

If you are starting with a clean database it will work.

Download the content of each table to a file, maybe CSV in phpMyAdmin or something and then use your favorite front-end's import facility. Refer to the documentation for that program.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mli
            • Jul 2002

Ok, you completely lost me, lol

This is what I did:
            1. I went to my 'user' table in PHPMyAdmin
            2. I clicked on 'Export'
            3. I clicked on the radio button 'CSV Data'
            4. Checked the box 'Save as File'
            5. Pressed go and downloaded a file called user.csv

Now how do I upload this csv file to a new database? What's a front end?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

Wayne's method will work, but it's unnecessary and goes beyond the vBulletin software. You can just delete your forums, custom user fields, custom smilies, etc from your Admin CP. In the end you will be left with just your users.

Comment

• mli
                • Jul 2002

Well, you see, I installed several hacks that needed queries to be run. I ran those queries and some hacks added Tables and other stuff to the database. I want to reset the database so I can get rid of all those messy hacks. That's why I want to reset it. If I delete the forums and stuff that won't get rid of the database messines.

So Wayne if you could please further assist me in your method of doing it.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                  • Dec 2000
                  • 3.6.x

We don't support hacks. You should contact the hack authors for instructions on how to remove their hacks.

Comment

• mli
                    • Jul 2002

No, I don't want to remove the hacks. I want to remove EVERYTHING. If I wanted to remove the hacks I would have done it by now. Besides, how am I supposed to know all the hacks I've installed.

It was a simple question. I just need to install VB again while keeping the user tables intact. I've already downloaded the tables, now how do I upload them back up to another database?

Comment

• WizyWyg
                      • Jul 2001

Originally posted by mli
                      No, I don't want to remove the hacks. I want to remove EVERYTHING. If I wanted to remove the hacks I would have done it by now. Besides, how am I supposed to know all the hacks I've installed.

It was a simple question. I just need to install VB again while keeping the user tables intact. I've already downloaded the tables, now how do I upload them back up to another database?

Make it simpler.

Go into phpMyAdmin (dont know what version you are running)
                      Select User and userfields
                      Export (Tables and Data - include DUMP data)
                      Save to file ( this will create and SQL for you, you dont need a CSV file).
                      Save to your computer

I also suggesting do a dump of your entire DB as well, JIC.

Reinstall your db/forums/vbulletin.
                      Go into Phpmyadmin and import our sql for user and userfields. THis should populate your new db with the old user informatio.
                      There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...