Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thurian
    • Dec 2000

vbulletin changing hosted servers with cpanel3

I am changing hosted servers and need to move my vbulletin with mysql database to the new server. I don't have access to the shell or telnet to follow the instruction listed on http://vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html. I will also be using the same domain name on the new hosted server (I will be using venturesonline - I hope it is a good host) as I did on the old one. Both old and new hosted servers use Cpanel3 and are Unix accounts. May someone please help me find a way to backup and move my database and forums to the new server without loosing all my posts and other relevent information. Thank you so very much in advance.
    The Thoughtful Forums
    Welcome to Transformica - Where to Think is to Flourish
  • orca
    • Mar 2001
    • 5.5.x

Don't have the time to tell all details. Anyway, with VO you have shell access (I'm also on VO). Either get a SSH Client or in the CPanel, there's a Java SSH Client.
    Ueli

Comment

• Thurian
      • Dec 2000

Help - I am lost in my own ignorance!

Thank you so much for the help. I have now telnet into SSH. I have the following message SSH Server/Alias 54.64.391.432 (numbers changed for security reasons). I typed in mysqldump -uGUSS_GO (everything in parenthesis was not added - as GUSS_GO is my hypothetical mysql database username) -pCUP (as CUP is my hypothetical dbase password) cat_dog (as cat_dog is my hypothetical dbase name) > http://www.tranformica/dump.sql (as transformica is my real website name)

I just got a bunch of errors so I am probably doing many things wrong. May someone please correct my newbie ignorance? Thank you very much in advance for this valuable help - this is the biggest challenge in changing my servers.
      Last edited by Thurian; Thu 13 Sep '01, 12:45pm.
      The Thoughtful Forums

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Apr 2000
        • 3.6.x

Define "a bunch of errors" please.

Comment

• Kier
          Former Lead Developer, vBulletin
          • Sep 2000

Code:
          mysqldump -uGUSS_GO -pCUP cat_dog > [i]http://www.tranformica/dump.sql[/i]
          I'm pretty sure that attempting to write the dump file to an http:// address is going to fail pretty spectacularly. In addition, you should never include your mysql password in the command line like that.

Instead, try this:
          Code:
          mysqldump -uGUSS_GO -p cat_dog > /path/to/dump.sql
          The system will then prompt you for a password, making it far more difficult for anyone else logged into the system to see your password in the task list.

/path/to/dump.sql represents the local filepath to where you want your dump file written to.

Comment

• x-tech
            • Sep 2001

full backup from old server database. successful import after executing "mysql -uUSERNAME -pPASSWORD databasename < /path/to/dump.sql"

i get these errors.

Database error in vBulletin: Invalid SQL: SELECT *
            FROM profilefield
            WHERE editable = 1
            ORDER BY displayorder
            mysql error: Unknown column 'editable' in 'where clause'
            mysql error number: 1054
            Date: Friday 14th of September 2001 01:08:21 PM
            Script: /forum/member.php?action=editprofile

trying to edit user details.

thats just one. i get another one when i try to login to the control panel. something to do with accesslog....and more.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
              • Apr 2000
              • 3.6.x

You're using 2.0.3 files with a non-2.0.3 database -- you need to run the required upgrade scripts to make your database 2.0.3 compatible.

Comment

• x-tech
                • Sep 2001

would you be able to kindly tell me how i could do that?

thank you.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 3.6.x

It should be explained in the announcement for 2.0.3/the discussion thread for 2.0.3. I don't know what you're upgrading from, but if you have any more questions, feel free.

Comment

• x-tech
                    • Sep 2001

okay thanx m8. ill have a look. hope i find the answer. i hate bugging ppl with questions.

Comment

• Thurian
                      • Dec 2000

Thank you Ed and Kier. I followed your instructions Kier but I received the error: /path/to/dump.sql: No such file or directory

Do I change /path/to/dump.sql lto something else? Thanks again - I feel I am almost there.
                      The Thoughtful Forums

Comment

• x-tech
                        • Sep 2001

that info should have been given to you by your webhosting.

the path is something like "/home/username/<whereever>/"

Comment

• x-tech
                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                          It should be explained in the announcement for 2.0.3/the discussion thread for 2.0.3. I don't know what you're upgrading from, but if you have any more questions, feel free.
                          Thanks allot m8. Import worked I'm very happy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...