X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbc
    • Oct 2001

3 sites 1 forum is that possible?

Hi...

I just wanted to check if it was possible to have 3 sites using the same forum, so when U regged through site1, You would automaticly only be able to see certain predefined forums and not the forums for site 2 & 3?

Cheers,

Dan
  • Mirical Bernd
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

There was once a hack, where you were able to use one user-table for three forum-databases on www.vbulletin.org - which would suite your needs I guess. Afaik this hack hasn't been re-released for vB 3 until now.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mirical Bernd
      There was once a hack, where you were able to use one user-table for three forum-databases on www.vbulletin.org - which would suite your needs I guess. Afaik this hack hasn't been re-released for vB 3 until now.
      This hack would require a vBulletin License for each forum.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.6.x

Sure... running vB on 3 sites also requires it. But if Danbc wants it that way...

Comment

• Danbc
          • Oct 2001

Ehh nope, actually I don´t want it that way

Since it´s for my gaming clan, and we don´t have a lot of money to use on licenses and stuff, we thought it might be a solution for 3 sites to use the same forum installation, but if that is not allowed according to the license, I think we´ll just use PHPBB or PHPNUKE for the other sites

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
            • Mar 2002
            • 3.6.x

Why not make categories with subforums for every part in their respective style? Like we make it here:

It's one forum but with some special styles

Comment

• Symen_4ab
              • Jun 2002
              • 3.0.0 Gamma

You could do something like that, but not really automaticly.
              You could make 3 usegroups, with specific "can view forum" permissions, and then moderate all registration, and put every user in an usergroup.
              Syntax errors in my post ? Well, I'm a french-speaking Swiss user..

Comment

• Mirical Bernd
                • Mar 2002
                • 3.6.x

@Symen: You could do that - but it isn't really efficient. I wouldn't

Comment

• Danbc
                  • Oct 2001

Well, actually we wanted the 3 sites forum access to be somewhat "seperate" or "divided", so people who logged in from site 1, couldn´t see contens from site 2 and 3.

Dunno if that´s at all possible?

Your way f doing that with different styles was what we wanted to do too, but just finding some way of restricting access for site1 users forums to site 2 and 3 users.

Make sense or jibberish?

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                    • Jan 2002

It is possible, but once you effectively seperate the installation in three seperate boards, you are breaking the license.

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

You can point for example three domains to one forum, this would require 1 license - for it is one forum.

You can have for example three domains to point to a forum set of files and database, but they appear as three different forums, so they require 3 licenes - for their show as three different forums.

Comment

• Danbc
                        • Oct 2001

So if I point 3 domains to the exact same forum, but seperate the forums for the domains by utilizing grouprights differences and styles, so domain1 can´t see contens for domain2 I´m breaking the license agreement?

Comment

• LeeCHeSSS
                          • Jan 2002

Yes, just use 3 categories. Each with a different child-style.

Comment

• Floris
                            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Danbc
                            So if I point 3 domains to the exact same forum, but seperate the forums for the domains by utilizing grouprights differences and styles, so domain1 can´t see contens for domain2 I´m breaking the license agreement?
                            Each forum would appear as if it is a seperate forum, with seperate content.

Comment

• Danbc
                              • Oct 2001

Now I´m lost.

I have 1 installation but point 3 domains to that single installation. That is okay according to license agreements, but if I make the individual domains "seperate" by utilizing 3 different style setups aswell as specific "can view forum" permissions on the same single installation I AM breaking the license agreement?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...