How do I Turn OFF the Signature CHECK as a DEFAULT?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

How do I Turn OFF the Signature CHECK as a DEFAULT?

How does a Member Turn OFF their Signature as a DEFAULT?

We have thousands of members who do not wish to have their Signature in the ON position as their Default. They preferred to have a text and image signature remain in their Signature Box, but they want to have their DEFAULT set to the UNCHECK position rather than the CHECKED position.

I also rarely use my signature on this forum too, and I am always having to UNCHECK my signature more often than leaving it checked.

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

For the quick reply

AdminCP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Click on << >> > Find the showthread_quickreply

Find

HTML Code:
    <label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="5" checked="checked" />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label>
    change to

HTML Code:
    <label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="5" />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label>
    Edit the Newreply template and find

HTML Code:
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo['signature'] != ''"><div><label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="1" $checked[signature] />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label></div></if>
    change too

HTML Code:
    <if condition="$bbuserinfo['signature'] != ''"><div><label for="cb_signature"><input type="checkbox" name="signature" value="1" id="cb_signature" tabindex="1" />$vbphrase[show_your_signature]</label></div></if>
    Repeate for newthread template

Comment

• David Copeland
      • May 2000

Thanks so much! This feature alone will save us a lot of bandwidth costs, as members will have to think twice whether or not they want to have their signature showing in all comments.

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• snake-boy
        • Jul 2004

Hi,

I just implemented these changes to my v3.0.3, and although it does appear to be working, on thread posting, it is not having an effect on the PM screen.

When composing (or replying to) a PM, the signature box is still ticked by default.

Is there any way to make this change as well to NOT ticked by default?

-snake

Comment

• Dennis Olson
          • Oct 2002

I created a "custom field" in the USER OPTIONS. It's a radio-button pair that allows the check box ENABLED or DISABLED by default, depending on a user's selection.

So if it's "disabled", the check box is UNchecked, even though they have SIG text. If they "enable" it, vB works exactly as it currently does. Nice and neat, and no code hacks required. My thanks to vB for their assistance in this matter.

Comment

• snake-boy
            • Jul 2004

This sounds great. Having never added any such fields, I would greatly appreciate some idiot-proof directions for this.

(would I need to undo the above code changes I made in order to do this?)

-snake

Comment

• Dennis Olson
              • Oct 2002

Here's the thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109699

You would create the custom field (you'll need to note the actual "field name" (mine is "field6") in order to use the code spcified in the thread. The text of each option (when you create the radio buttions) is the actual value tested for in the code. One of my button's value is "DISABLE it", which is the value tested in the examples provided.

Nice & clean, and lets the users select how THEY want to employ signatures.

Comment

• David Copeland
                • May 2000

Originally posted by Dennis Olson
                I created a "custom field" in the USER OPTIONS. It's a radio-button pair that allows the check box ENABLED or DISABLED by default, depending on a user's selection.

So if it's "disabled", the check box is UNchecked, even though they have SIG text. If they "enable" it, vB works exactly as it currently does. Nice and neat, and no code hacks required. My thanks to vB for their assistance in this matter.
                You mean User Options, as in what the member will see in their personal User CP (User Control Panel)?

If I do this, then they will be able to override the system wide default that I used to have all sigs OFF unless they manually check sigs ON.

If so, then a member will be able to defeat what our intentions are. That is, to save bandwidth by forcing the member to think twice about having their sig show in every single post within a long thread.

As it is, our posted policy for the use of sigs is as follows:

Members who have been approved by Legal Affairs to include their company name, general contact information, and license (if any) in their Signature File are prohibited from circumventing the intended purpose of the approved Signature File. Legal Affairs will instruct Technical Support on the approved formatting of the Signature.
                For all other signatures and posting of images (including QUOTES) the following rules apply:
                1. Appropriate and conservative posting of images in topics and replies is welcomed. However, we encourage our members not to over do the posting of images that do not relate to the topic at hand. Each time an image is posted, it costs the forum bandwidth.
                2. If a member is using the QUOTE feature of another member's comment, please delete the image from your QUOTE and any other off-topic sentences that do not relate to your answer to the quote.
                3. For text signatures: 2 lines normal size, or 4 lines small size and up to 90 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed.
                4. For images in signatures (with no other text): 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size
                5. For images and text in signatures: 1 image up to 100 pixels wide, 40 pixels tall and 7k in size, unless preapproved by Technical Support .
                6. Associates and agents may not advertise or use web referral links to advertise for their respective e-commerce sites unless approved by Legal Affairs. We ask all of our members to refrain from using any non-approved referrals or web links in their signatures.
                7. Please us your Signature conservatively. When posting in a topic that contains multiple pages, we ask that only one post in each page has the signature turned "on". If you see that you have several posts on the same page with your signature turned on, then please click on the EDIT button of each post to manually turn OFF the signatures (except for one).

Administrators, Moderators, and Forum Guides are to abide by the same policy in casual (unofficial) posts and comments.

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• Dennis Olson
                  • Oct 2002

You are correct. I've given the users the option of checking to box by default (or not). The example I use demonstrates (in general) how you could hard-code it. Just leave out all the field-specific info and have the box marked UNCHECKED in the template. That should do it.

Comment

• trulylowcarb
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 3.8.x

It apppears that to disable the default everywhere, including in PMs and Gallery posts, you can then search in templates for the following and remove it wherever found: $checked[signature]
                    Karen

Comment

• trulylowcarb
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Except that the go advanced button in the gallery quick reply now produces an error. The regular reply button still works fine, and the go advanced button works fine on the forum with this change.... strange!
                      Karen

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        Former Customer Support Manager
                        • Jul 2000

vB doesn't have a gallery, so this must be from a hack you've installed. I suggest asking for help in the appropriate forum for that hack.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• trulylowcarb
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 3.8.x

Ooops! [blush] Musta forgot exactly where I was posting at the time! Sorry, but the PM removal note may be helpful to some people so I guess I don't feel TOOOO bad. (and will take no offense if you want to remove the references to the Gallery completely.)
                          Karen

Comment

• sub_ubi
                            • Dec 2004

This is still my favorite way for limiting obnoxious signatures. The people who usually have them are too lazy to click the checkbox

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...