X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmottle
    • Apr 2003
    • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

MS SQL for VB

To continue upon this thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...351#post520351 without getting off topic there I've started a new thread.

Scott, how much would need to be changed to make VB usable with MSSQL and how would that affect upgrades and new releases patches?

Also, what sort of limitations would I expect to see becuase I was not taking advantage of the optimized mySQL features? Would this translate to the maximum users I could have, posts, load times?

Lastly if I were to purchase VB, who would I contact to have the changes done?

Thanks Jeff
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

the only thing that jumps to mind is the use of Multiple Inserts with one query.

INSERT INTO table (column1) VALUES ('test'), ('test2'), ('test3')

this is mysql specific.

The changes to vB2 would be extremely large though vB3 is a bit more refined and we've made an attempt to use ANSI SQL standards as much as possible.

To be honest I'd need to obtain a copy of MSSQL and do some testing.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• jmottle
      • Apr 2003
      • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

Thanks Scott.

If you want to do testing download a eval from MS. The demo is 120 days and if you want to test in an closed environment you can download a copy of VMware. (Some damn cool software IMHO) They have a 30 day eval.

Transform your business with a unified data platform. SQL Server 2019 comes with Apache Spark and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) for intelligence over all your data.

I am very interested in pursuing this even if I had to pay for it, but am not sure if this is even a route that I can explore. I know you guys are still trying to get vb3 out, so is testing and getting someone to do a conversion even an option in the next few months?

Jeff

Comment

• ManagerJosh
        • Jun 2002

Stick with MySQL is my recommendation Jeff. Imagine how much codehacking would have to be done everytime the Jelsoft team releases a version of vBulletin and you'd have to go and convert all the queries to MSSQL.

Though I have no doubt in the near future a MSSQL version would be out, it is just a matter of time.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...