Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agip33
    • Jul 2003

vbulletin vs. Invision (IPB)

Just out of curiousity, how does IPB compare with vB2 and vB3?

I'm at a point in choosing between the two. From what I understand (from reading many threads),

- vB has REALLY good support
    - vB costs $160USD

- IPB has comparable features as vB
    - IPB is free

I'm not sure what features IPB has over vB and what features vB has over IPB (that warrants a price tag of $160USD).

I read that IPB software has holes and forum sites get hacked due to it. And that these hacked sites would have to pay to get support to get help to bring their site back.

Anyway, I hope the members here can provide me with some insight on the two forum softwares (specifically what features vB2x or vB3 has over IPB). I posted a similar thread at invision's site and I'll let you know what kind of responses I get.

Thanks a lot for your time.
  • ManagerJosh
    • Jun 2002

I have yet to see an invision power board withstand 1,000+ users online at the same time with 1,000,000+ posts...

vBulletin has a repuitation of being able to handle 1,000+ users line and 1,000,000+ posts, so rest assure that you are buying something that will last
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• unlocking4u
      • May 2003

well you only get what you pay for in life

i have used ipb and when i changed to vb i never looked back
      vb supplies excellent support and i find it more stable than ipb also more easy to customise and add hacks to
      just my opinion

rob

Comment

• agip33
        • Jul 2003

Just an update, invision is closing the thread saying they do not do comparisons between software.
        I don't think they like the name "vbulletin" mentioned.

I think I'm almost sold to vB...

Just alittle more reading to do about vB ... hope I could get some more feedback about vB features over other forum softwares (like IPB, which I think is next best to vB).

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Why guess what features there are when you can mess with the real thing?

Username: admin
          Password: admin

Have fun I know I did
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• John Round
            • Jan 2002
            • 3.0.0 Beta 5

Don't forget you had to pay $60 a year extra to Invision for their support - Add another $50 if you want the subscription feature for Invision Board

Comment

• jmottle
              • Apr 2003
              • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4

For what it's worth I've been looking at the two very carefully and was/am leaning to IB only becuase they have just released a new MSSQL driver, but do you think I can get anyone to email me back. I emailed the info email and their President!! 2 and a half days later the only reply I have recieved was on their support forums from a guy who used to program their convertors. No one at the actual company has bother to get back to me yet.....

Also it's worth noting that while the IB is free, they are charging for support. You can view the details of that here http://www.invisionboard.com/download.cgi They have similar options to VB now for pricing. Whether you pay for support and get a free board or pay for the board and get free support, it's all the same. But if you actually get the support that is the difference.

I am going to have to agree so far that VB pre-sales support has been very good. I emailed them the same questions I emailed IB and had a reply back in less than 5 minutes! (This was at 8pm at night too) My request was ticketed and is being escalated to the head developer, so thus far I have to agree that VB support is WAY better.

Jeff

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Dec 2000

Well we have various support staff who's timezone range from GMT - PST.

If we were to work 9-6 in each timezones we basically cover
                9am GMT - 2am GMT and you'll find that most of the support staff do an hour or so at night.

At the moment the support reply time is 15 minutes.

MSSQL support would be possible in vB3 with a few changes, but it was optimized for MySQL and makes best use of the performance features available.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• jmottle
                  • Apr 2003

Thanks Scott. I have a few questions about what you said, but started a new thread so as not to get OT.

Cheers,
                  Jeff

Comment

• iDavid
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by John Round
                    Don't forget you had to pay $60 a year extra to Invision for their support - Add another $50 if you want the subscription feature for Invision Board
                    If you register for support, the subscription module is actually free.

Comment

• PET
                      • Mar 2002

Even if IBF 1.2 brings manny new good things, i still go for vBulletin. Especialy vB 3, witch i see that he hase greate things. I hope the price will be goon, when it will be finished.

Abut support. I can tell you about IBF. NONE ! If you try to put a question to ibfplanet...if i ever see a help post...

So, vBulletin my option. I'm looking for a buy !
                      GamerPET.com - Honest Game Reviews

REMEMBER : Life is better with animals.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                        • Jun 2002

Now let's not get into bashing Invision Board for their support. They have a competitive product against vBulletin and their support is probably very good since they rather get it right the first time and send it to the right person rather than be wrong.

Comment

• jmottle
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                          They have a competitive product against vBulletin and their support is probably very good..
                          I'm not yet a Vbulletin customer nor an IB customer, but I'd love to know what about 3 days, 2 emails, 4 posts and not a single reply from IB so that I can actually pay for custom support and services implies very good support. There is another guy over there who is on day 5 and 4 emails and many more posts and still no one is getting in touch with people. I'm not trying to put one forum above the other, I'm just relaying my experience thus far with IB. And so far it implies they have no support or thet have all taken a vacation at once. Either way this is of no use to a commercial site looking for an enterprise level product and support. Anyway...I am much more impressed with VB to date. Things just seem more professional over here.

Jeff

Comment

• 0ptima
                            • Jan 2002

In the long run, VB will be cheaper than IPB if you pay for IPB support and you can sell your 'used' vb for at least $100.00. VB support is top-notch and requests have often been answered in minutes!

IPB
                            Year 1 60
                            Year 2 60
                            Year 3 60
                            Year 4 60
                            4 Year Cost 240

VB
                            Year 1 160
                            Year 2 30
                            Year 3 30
                            Year 4 30
                            4 Year Cost 250
                            Sell VB -100
                            Total Cost 150
                            Last edited by 0ptima; Thu 28 Aug '03, 11:29pm.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Hi Jeff

I'm pleased to hear you are having an excellent vBulletin experience.

I don't know how the support over at Invision Power is since I've never used it or ever used an Invision Product (administratively) however I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that their service is excellent.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...