Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wjpeck
    • Nov 2012

Why is there no Forum Module?

I'm completely confused at this point. Why is there no forum module? I see a blog module and a subscription module on their respective pages, but I see only a latest activity module on the forum page. I just want a list of forums/threads that my users can click on to add posts, just like your site right here. Can that be done in vB5, or should I downgrade to vB4? This is beyond frustrating.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The Activity Stream has the "Forum" tab... Edit the module, make it primary. Hide the other tabs if you wish or not...

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• wjpeck
      • Nov 2012

Ok thanks, that's much better, but it still doesn't seem as functional as the interface on your vB page right here. For instance, when I arrived on your forums home page, each forum category lists what it is to be used for, the number of threads and posts, how many people are using it, the latest post, etc. My forum home page isn't allowing for any of that and it is much less appealing. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You've set most of your forums up as categories, rather than forums.

You can change this either in the site builder, or in the channel manager in the admincp.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• wjpeck
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by wjpeck
          For instance, when I arrived on your forums home page, each forum category lists what it is to be used for, the number of threads and posts, how many people are using it, the latest post, etc.
          I don't think that changing my categories back to forums addresses these shortcomings, and doing so would allow my users to add forum threads under my categories when what I want them to do is add threads under the sub-forums.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Actually, if you look at our forum listing, Categories are blue bars and only list the name of the category. They really show no information. vBulletin 5 shows things the same way on the Forum Tab if you have them set up as Categories level 1 and Forums level 2.

The forums have a lot of information, descriptions etc... These are "Level 2" forums or subforums of their Categories. To enter descriptions for your forums, you need to go into the Admin CP. Then go to Channel Management -> Forum Manager. Edit the forums and add descriptions. To have last post information in the forums, you need to add content and posts. The more content you add, the more your forum listing will fill out.
            Last edited by Wayne Luke; Wed 21 Nov '12, 9:36am.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
              • Oct 2012

This is helpful to me as well. I have been dealing with the same issue. My question would be how do you make a "category" instead of a channel. In admincp under forum manager, you add a new forum which I assume turns into a channel but how do you make that channel a "category"? There is a bubble
              Act as Channel(Will act as category if no)
              Yes No
              I have this checked but it did not create the desired result you explain.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Reklaw
                This is helpful to me as well. I have been dealing with the same issue. My question would be how do you make a "category" instead of a channel. In admincp under forum manager, you add a new forum which I assume turns into a channel but how do you make that channel a "category"? There is a bubble
                Yes No
                I'd have to ask what you expect a category to be then?

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Yes No
                  I'd have to ask what you expect a category to be then?

In vBulletin, a forum category is simply a forum that holds one or more sub-forums and doesn't allow posts to be created within it.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Feb 2004
                    • 6.0.X

You need to add a channel that is to be a category, under the "Forum" channel that already exists. Set this new channel to "Act as channel: No" as above. Then, add your forum channels below that.

Your structure will look something like this. In this example, "News Forums" is a category.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	3690800

And the result of that is this:

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	3690801
                    MARK.B
                    vBulletin Support
                    ------------
                    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Reklaw
                      • Oct 2012

Well if they are the same thing, I was looking for the specification. I actually figured out how to make this work just now, but do appreciate the prompt response.

As a follow up, in editing my home page and blog page i keep running into a similar issue. When I attempt to edit layout, add module and select a template, every time I hit save I get an error message. When I select 70/30 and hit save it says "you must specify a screen layout" I select it again and get the same error message. When I select full screen layout I get the message "You cannot remove a system module from the page template"

Any ideas on why the save issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mark.B
                      You need to add a channel that is to be a category, under the "Forum" channel that already exists. Set this new channel to "Act as channel: No" as above. Then, add your forum channels below that.

Your structure will look something like this. In this example, "News Forums" is a category.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63178[/ATTACH]

And the result of that is this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63179[/ATTACH]
                      Mark---> Thank You!!! That was a great explanation. As a follow up, how did you reduce the container size of "News Forums" to what appears to be about 20px high?

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	3690802
                      Mine seem to be about twice that... notice the difference?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        • Aug 2000

In your picture, the forum Rules, Regulations and Registration is a sibling of Loan Forum, Mortgages and Everything Related. To make it look like Mark's News Forum, it needs to be set to "Act As Channel" = No and then you would create new sub-forums under it. (Add Child) in the dropdown in the Channel Manager.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
                          • Oct 2012

Well if they are the same thing, I was looking for the specification. I actually figured out how to make this work just now, but do appreciate the prompt response.

As a follow up, in editing my home page and blog page i keep running into a similar issue. When I attempt to edit layout, add module and select a template, every time I hit save I get an error message. When I select 70/30 and hit save it says "you must specify a screen layout" I select it again and get the same error message. When I select full screen layout I get the message "You cannot remove a system module from the page template"

As well, why is there no custom template or blank template? I need to add a page of content and another page with a custom HTML module and nothing else. What do you recommend?

- - - Updated - - -

Wayne - BTW your last post really helped! Thank you much!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            • Aug 2000

As well, why is there no custom template or blank template? I need to add a page of content and another page with a custom HTML module and nothing else. What do you recommend?
                            To add a new page, enter Site Builder and Click "New Page". Choose the 100% layout and then add a Static HTML box into the middle set of dotted lines. Edit your module, save the page. When you save it will ask for a name for the page and the template.

See:

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Reklaw
                              • Oct 2012

Thanks! That really helps! I do still have this question though that is an issue I keep running into.

Originally Posted by Reklaw

In reference to your last post, I figured out how to add a new page easily as I wanted. In trying to edit the URL though, it will not overwrite as it says the page already exists. I added a page but the modules are wrong... I try to change modules and the template/layout etc. but I keep getting error messages. So I just made a new page to replace the old one but now I am not able to use that URL?! Puzzled.... :/

Comment