• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Well anyone that does this would have to abide by the normal transfer rules. And I have checked their account and there is no record of any requests from them to transfer licenses. It is possible they are purchasing licenses under someone else's name, but they would be paying full price and it would be impossible for them to control what that person does with their hosting account and site once they own the license. Frankly it doesn't make any sense at all and I have forwarded this for further investigation.
    My feelings exactly.

Originally posted by MRGTB
    You beat me to it Wayne, was eating my tea. I was going to say that you previously was quoted as saying "they have transferred nothing in the past" to Mark. Yet, Mark says they been going for a while now. So that doesn't add-up at all one bit - if it's not a new venture just put online. They should be showing a few licences transferred by now.
    Well certainly there was a familiar ring to this site when I saw it, could be a different company but I definitely recall a thread on exactly this promotion some time ago.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I *knew* it'd been covered before:

Back in 2007
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------

Comment

• MRGTB
        • May 2005

Edited: I got the name wrong, oh dear!

Nice find though, which does prove they've been around a while. It said in that thread they only give you a vBulletin licensed board with hosting, if you take-up their 5 star rating service, which you have to pay 12 months up-front for.

PS: Thanks for that smiley Mark, I'm adding that to my own board. Love it for links!
        Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 4 Jun '10, 11:06am.

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

PS: Thanks for that smiley Mark, I'm adding that to my own board. Love it for links!
          I use it in custom bbcode, [link] tags surrounding a link will create the same effect as above automatically.

I've been meaning to make a button for the editor bar but can't think of a suitable small graphic to use for it that describes what it does.
          Last edited by Mark.B; Fri 4 Jun '10, 12:52pm.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

Without wanting to stray off-topic, I just added it to my site. I can just add the smiley as a (smiley), they click the image and attach a URL to it.

Anyway, back on topic before we get our hands smacked.....

Comment

• myusername
              • Jan 2005

Greetings.

Let me try to clear up some of the speculation and rumors. While it might not make sense to most or any of you, it does make sense for us.

We do not transfer, resell, or give out licenses for vBulletin from our site directly. It is clearly against the rules of the vBulletin license.

A) The licenses come from the source, vbulletin.com

B) We buy them for our customers, at full price, directly from vbulletin.com

C) The customer then obtains support either from GlowHost, since we offer support for vBulletin, or they can get support directly from vBulletin directly since they own the license, the account, and their vBulletin logins.

That is all there is to it.

The customer gets a real software license (brand new) and real support from vBulletin. They also receive quality hosting from us. We believe that if we provide quality hosting, they would have no reason to change hosts. Sure there are always cheaters out there, but the majority of the people using our service are not scammers, and end up staying with us.

It is win-win for everyone involved. The only party that stands to loose anything is GlowHost so it is a great incentive for us to provide a quality service. If we gave out vBulletin licenses and poor service, we would have been out of business a long time ago.

We belive in our product and that is why we think of this offer as an acceptable risk for GlowHost.

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

Well that would explain why Wayne Luke cannot see any license transferred from you to other people. If that's how your doing it.

Comment

• myusername
                  • Jan 2005

Yes, it does explain it very well

Personally, though, I think it's a viloation of customer privacy for vBulletin to give out information on our account whether it be 1 license or 1000 licenses. It is our account, and that account isn't there for the free world to know anything about.

It's a business relationship and I can't imagine what would happen if we started throwing around private details of our customers on our public forums.

Sigh.

Comment

• mdelcour
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.7.x

That depends, what if they are buying cheap vB Licences sold by people for next to nothing (even expired) that gives them access to download and use vBulletin 3.8.5 (not vbulletin 4). And they install instances of vBulletin 3.

There is no license renewal yearly cost fees involved then, they could make money doing that. But I can't see how if they are offering vB4 installs, due to increased license cost. But in saying that, you don't pay yearly anymore to download vBulletin 4 latest version anymore.
                    That is true you, don't....my point was that I've been paying for the leased license for 2 years, will be 3 coming up shortly, and I could have had this with Domain, Hosting and Vbulletin for cheaper. I did wonder if it was legal of course, but when you do the math for all that I've paid in the past plus what I'm gonna have to pay to renew this last time, plus domain and hosting....yeah it would may have been a cheaper route....oh well...lol
                    Last edited by mdelcour; Fri 4 Jun '10, 12:57pm.

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by myusername
                      Personally, though, I think it's a viloation of customer privacy for vBulletin to give out information on our account whether it be 1 license or 1000 licenses. It is our account, and that account isn't there for the free world to know anything about.

It's a business relationship and I can't imagine what would happen if we started throwing around private details of our customers on our public forums.
                      Unless you actually have a 'business relationship' with vBS, it's a 'violation' of the Agreement you sign each time you purchase and provide licenses, for you to 'distribute' licenses like this.

Originally posted by License Agreement
                      This Software License Agreement (this "Agreement") is between you (either an individual or an entity, referred to hereinafter as "you" or "your") and vBulletin Solutions, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Internet Brands, Inc., and its affiliates ("vBulletin Solutions", "we", "our" or "us") for the vBulletin 4.0 software that accompanies this Agreement, as may be updated or replaced by feature enhancements, software updates or maintenance releases (the "Software") and any services that may be provided by vBulletin Solutions under this Agreement ("Services").
                      So, you purchase it, it's for you, not someone else. Purchasing for a third party is not mentioned as allowable.
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by feldon23
                        Can we get some further clarification?

Is it legal for them to do this?

Is it a scam?
                        There is no hosting reseller program for vBulletin. However there are hosts that purchase vBulletin for their clients for a fee. So is it possible? Yes. Is it sanctioned? No.

The only place you can buy vBulletin and be absolutely sure it isn't a scam is www.vbulletin.com.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

However there are hosts that purchase vBulletin for their clients for a fee
                          Are you saying there that vBulletin charge an (extra fee), on-top of the license fee. Must say I'm a little confused over all this.

If the answer is yes, why are they even paying that extra fee? When the license is theoretically being purchased by the person who owns it. I just don't get it?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Are you saying there that vBulletin charge an (extra fee), on-top of the license fee. Must say I'm a little confused over all this.

No, I am saying the hosting provider charges a fee.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

Ah Right!

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                                vBulletin Support
                                • Aug 2002
                                • 5.7.X

Originally posted by myusername
                                Yes, it does explain it very well

Sigh.
                                Where has confidential information been given out?
                                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...