X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gamorreaner
    • May 2008
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
    I respect your personal feelings about this but you are clearly in the minority of people who feel vb4 is a solid product. A vast vast vast majority of others feel that vb4 is, and I'll be polite here, less than stellar.
    What is the majority of people?

I doubt that you can answer that question in the way I want you to, but I'll tell you: If 1 human makes something wrong, does that mean, that if more than 50 % of the people do the same, it becomes right?

Have your own oppinion on things and stop hiding behind majoritys. As Friedrich Schiller said, the majority is nonsense..... most of complainers here have never seen a gold release before and most of the others are just offended because the communication with IB is the opposite of perferct.

IB biggest bug is the communication with their customers. This should have the highest priority in the bug tracker.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Gamorreaner
      What is the majority of people?
      That would be
      • The majority of the sentiments I've read here on the vbulletin.com forums (you can look up the names yourself)
      • The majority of people who have contributed to the bug tracker
      • Well respected members of the vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org community (The Geek just switched to IPB but you can read the others comments for yourself).
      • The individual big board admins I keep in touch with who decide to stay with vb3 until 4.1 or 4.2 (note, 4.2, not 4.0.2).
      • The individual big board admins that I know who are contemplating a switch to IPB because of the cluster F- this has turned out to be
      • The hundreds of people who have posted over at IPB saying they just switched because vb4 sucks

I may not have answered in the way you want, but it is an answer backed by relevant and personal experience. Sorry if I wont go through the trouble of creating a list of names but if you would like to make a list of people who love vb4, I'll clearly match it with a list of those who don't.

If 1 human makes something wrong, does that mean, that if more than 50 % of the people do the same, it becomes right?
      If 1 person has an issue, is it a one off or is a sign of larger issues that need to be addressed?

If 50% of your customers are having an issue and saying the same things, do you ignore them or do you make changes to the business to correct the problems (real or perceived)?

Have your own oppinion on things and stop hiding behind majoritys. As Friedrich Schiller said, the majority is nonsense..... most of complainers here have never seen a gold release before and most of the others are just offended because the communication with IB is the opposite of perferct.
      LMAO, that may apply to others but my opinion is completely my own. I've always called like I see it. If I like something, I'll be sure to say it and if I see real issues -- I'll stand up and say so too.

IB biggest bug is the communication with their customers. This should have the highest priority in the bug tracker
      Yes, I think it is -- it would go a long way towards resolving their issues and its a first step towards fixing their image.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• JonnyThunder
        • May 2003

Like I said before though, people are quick to post when something is wrong - but very unlikely to post if something is right. So there may be a lot of posts on here with people moaning about this or that... the point remains that the million other customers who have upgraded and are willing to tolerate any remaining bugs, they won't bother to post because they have no need to.

This is a ridiculous situation with adults behaving like children. Like Joe said (again)... there is NO SUCH THING as a bug free gold release of anything. Unless your program looks something like this...

Code:
        10 PRINT "Hello world"
        20 GOTO 10
        And again as I said before, how many applications or games can you list which haven't been patched within a month of release? Better still, how many applications or games can you list which haven't been patched at all?

Here's the facts....
        • Gold release was premature and riddled with bugs. Accepted.
        • Release 4.01 fixed a huge amount of the bugs which made the whole thing usable again.
        • Release 4.02 will continue to fix bugs, as will all subsequent releases.
        • The team are clearly working hard to push through all these changes, whilst simultaneously firefighting numpties submitting support requests (who are too impatient to wait for the next release)

Just accept it and move on. Welcome to the wonderful world of development. Put a smile on that face...

EDIT: Damn... missed my semi colons in my code.... BUG FIX REQUIRED!!! lol....

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by JonnyThunder
          Like I said before though, people are quick to post when something is wrong - but very unlikely to post if something is right.
          You're kidding right? Do you know how many vocal supporters vbulletin used to have? Were you around on this site or other admin sites where we (yes I was one of them) would reap endless praise on vbulletin whenever a discussion about which forum software to use came up? I think it was Feldon who said that vbulletin had fans on par with Apple and Google. While the volume of fans might not be the comparable, the frevor of the fan base is.
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Kusadasi-Guy
            • May 2004

Actually yes I do.

I've been a developer in PHP for quite a number of years and now write software for iPod / iPhone.
            I can see your iphone apps and their bugs and their furious users

nway, keep applaud it mate
            we need peeps like you too
            Support Disaster Relief in Haiti

Comment

• JonnyThunder
              • May 2003

Originally posted by Kusadasi-Guy
              I can see your iphone apps and their bugs and their furious users
              I've been lucky so far, but when the games start rolling into the App Store... that'll be another story!

Comment

• JonnyThunder
                • May 2003

If 50% of your customers are having an issue and saying the same things, do you ignore them or do you make changes to the business to correct the problems (real or perceived)?
                But the thing is, it's already done. Until it was released, they didn't really know it would inspire loads of people to go bananas about the whole thing. And are they ignoring you now? Or are they fixing the bugs?

I agree with the guy who mentioned communication though - that's spot on. They could do with posting some kind of an apology for hurrying version 4 out of the door - but apart from that, I think they are doing a fine job of trying to get things back on track. Short of shoving a broom up their asses so they can clean the floor while they code, I'm not sure what else you people are expecting! You can only work for as many hours as a day provides. And who was it suggested hiring in external workforce? Come on... it'd take longer to train newbies than it would to just knuckle down and fix it.

Has the world gone completely mad?????

Comment

• AlexanderT
                  • Mar 2003

But the thing is, it's already done. Until it was released, they didn't really know it would inspire loads of people to go bananas about the whole thing.
                  Why do you say that? Have you looked at the significant amount of bug reports, suggestions and pleas while vB 4 was still in alpha/beta testing? If that didn't open their eyes (and ears), I don't know what could.

Comment

• aussiefooty
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6.0.X

scwab -- you do realize that you are one of only two people who are happy with vb4 at the moment, right?
                    I am happy with it.... Yes very happy with it.
                    To those who aren't happy with it why are you posting on here? All I am reading is negative comments coming from people who decide to attack the company here.
                    Go and find a forum that you like to use and stop ya whinging.
                    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• aussiefooty
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by ipzone2
                      schwab2clarkson I just tried to look at your homepage to see how you had dealt with some of the issues I am having but your website appears to be down ?
                      I don't have mine up yet. I don't think I will have anything different happen to what you guys are experiencing.
                      Maybe you should stop your whinging on a public forum and write up a support ticket and find out directly why there are so many problems with your forum.
                      That's what I do. I don't bother with whinging on a public forum about the problems that I experience.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson
                        To those who aren't happy with it why are you posting on here?
                        Go and find a forum that you like to use and stop ya whinging.
                        Because I want IB to fix the issues.
                        Because I PAID for LICENSES.

I will make you a deal right now, you reimburse me and you can have my licenses. I will shut up and you will never hear from me again. Fair?
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Mike Anime
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 3.7.x

while 4.0.1 fixed some bugs it created other bugs.

i was happy with my purchase till i saw how it acted on big sites. i have been with vB for quite some time so i know its history. my join date does NOT reflect the fact i have been following vB for two years before i bought it. i made the ikonboard and IPB mistakes then switched to JELSOFT vB based on its history of honesty and its gold versions.

IB ruined jelsofts rep and it only took one "gold" to do it.

Comment

• Abomination
                            • Jul 2008

The team are clearly working hard...
                            I agree, they must be working very hard.

Just accept it and move on.
                            Many are.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

Originally Posted by JonnyThunder
                              Just accept it and move on.

many have.

they moved on to IPB SMF and PHPbb

Comment

• beishe8
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                                IB ruined jelsofts rep and it only took one "gold" to do it.
                                The new licensing system did it.
                                People would be still happily using 3.8,downloading the improved 3.9 with the old renewal system, while playing with 4 Alpha.
                                One step back from the management and presently bitter people would become supporter again.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...