• tony adams
    • Sep 2004

nope - new info - did not even know it existed but sadly it did not help

thanks though - its going to be something daft like that i think

Comment

• Mannen
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.5.x

This is a IE problem. There is nothing wrong whit anyones db. MS will soon come out whit a "security fix", and all of a sudden this will be solved. Just relax guys, dont do anything hasty now. I have a very hard time beliving that any changes to the db should cause an rendering error in IE. Why arent any of the other browsers affected? Let the people out there realise for themselves that this is a faulty product.

There is just no way im gonna make an extreme database makeover just to get IE to work.
      Last edited by Mannen; Mon 23 Mar '09, 4:26pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

I have no doubt that this is an IE8 problem, but since it does not happen with the default vB installations it does appear that IE8 is not compatible with some add-ons.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          I have no doubt that this is an IE8 problem, but since it does not happen with the default vB installations it does appear that IE8 is not compatible with some add-ons.
          IE8 has a lot of problems.
          I cannot login to my CMS' ACP with it.Clean,new install.
          No addons in IE8.
          No problem with FF or Opera.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• RobFerrari
            • Feb 2003

Are you storing images in the database or file system? The ones I have tested this and where it's working are storing these in the file system.
            we store our images in file system.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Send Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Header

Other than that my conclusion is that either a modification is causing this or an extension on IE8.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RobFerrari
                • Feb 2003

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> Send Internet Explorer 7 Compatibility Header

Other than that my conclusion is that either a modification is causing this or an extension on IE8.
                that is set to Yes for me and has been.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Then I'm afraid my last sentence applies. I cannot duplicate this problem on an unmodified vB with IE8 and no extensions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• RobFerrari
                    • Feb 2003

Then I'm afraid my last sentence applies. I cannot duplicate this problem on an unmodified vB with IE8 and no extensions.
                    yes, afraid so. have you spent any time though going to a forum with the problem and seeing if you find a quick fix? I would be happy to give you another test account.

anything with Microsoft will take a long time or never happen, although mostly MS fault, it is a negative impact to vB admins and users.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Yes, I have gone to several forums and could not duplicate this problem. I've actually down quite of lot of investigation regarding this issue.

Can you duplicate it on these forums? If so provide the exact link and I'll check it out.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• RobFerrari
                        • Feb 2003

gif and png images are showing fine, appears to be only jpg images not showing in IE8. Is this consistent with others having the problem?

Here was an idea thrown out by one of our users...

"I have absolutely no experience with PHP, so please forgive me, could it be a wrong MIME-type/Content declaration in the attachment.php script for the different image formats(if that's even something that would be necessary)?"

Comment

• tony adams
                          • Sep 2004

seems not to matter what the image format is - i think we have most image types and non show

i have tried moving them from the database to the file system and back again - that did not help

i have disabled all mods and then removed them - that did not help either

some of the people from here have been to the board and can see the images fine - that only confuses the issue

BUT as i have posted elsewhere

install a new board - add all the styles and mods that are used on my main board - and add some attachments and all is fine

what the difference is i have no idea as effectively nothing is different

for the moment i have given up - i have one member who insists in continuing with ie8 - thats up to him

the answer at the moment is simple - dump ie8

Comment

• tony adams
                            • Sep 2004

a solution for my board

but first full credit to one of my members [john] who pointed me in a direction that gave me the answer

most of our images are jpg by default and jpg if the board software compresses them - it was johns idea to try other formats - gifs. jpeg's etc - these he found to display perfectly in ie8

so a look at the settings

i found this

Content-type: unknown/unknown
                            in - Attachment type/jpg/mime type and headers

i can say with certainty i have not set that - did ie8 - i have no idea

alter it to

Content-type: image/jpeg
                            which i think is default and jpg's show - as do all other images

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

The above post points to a security option in IE8... Tools -> Internet Options -> Security. Select Internet and Click Custom.

See if "Open files based on Content, not file extension" is set to enable or disable. If set to disable, then enable it and check your images again. This does lower security but makes IE8 behave more like previous versions. Didn't recall it because I changed the setting months ago for some reason or another.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tony adams
                                • Sep 2004

hi wayne - it was set to enable - i changed it to disable and images still showed fine

i had not been running with ie8 and had to install it to test the above so assume all settings are default

have changed the setting you suggested back to enable [default?]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...