New Dutch Translation in the works

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legar
    • Mar 2006

Hmm why is everything called "discussie"?
    A post isnt a discussion per se ;(
    my users are so used to "berichten" and "onderwerpen" for topics and posts ;(

Thanks for the hard work though! its greatly appreciated! ive installed it and its truly awesome (i overwrite my current "nederlandse"translation cause i had so many plugins translated myself, but i gave no problems at all
    Last edited by legar; Tue 12 Sep '06, 11:09pm.

Comment

• Grover
      • May 2001
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by legar
      Hmm why is everything called "discussie"?
      A post isnt a discussion per se ;(
      my users are so used to "berichten" and "onderwerpen" for topics and posts ;(

Thanks for the hard work though! its greatly appreciated! ive installed it and its truly awesome (i overwrite my current "nederlandse"translation cause i had so many plugins translated myself, but i gave no problems at all
      What do you mean? When you want to start a new thread (called 'discussie' in dutch), the new dutch translation provides the button [Nieuw Onderwerp] instead of the button [New Thread]. So, even if it is not a 1-on-1 translation (because [New Thread] should be called [Nieuwe Discussie] on a 1-on-1 translation), this is even better. Exactly because of the point you are making.... 'cause a new post doesn't have to evolve into a discussion....

So in the end I think the new Dutch professional translation is even an improvement over the original english stock language on this matter. vBulletin should really diss the button [New Thread] in it's stock release. I have never understood why this wasn't called [New Topic], which is far more logical as you have pointed out indeed.
      How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• renep
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Grover
        When you want to start a new thread (called 'discussie' in dutch), the new dutch translation provides the button [Nieuw Onderwerp] instead of the button [New Thread].
        Well no... it doesn't provide buttons and the title text (tooltip) of the button is "Nieuwe discussie starten".

But of course everyone is free to choose or design his own buttons.
        "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
        - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Shoto
          • Jul 2003

Well you can always go into the language part of your admin section and change it. for parts you dont like.

And one little error:
          select_a_file_to_attach has a spelling error in it.
          instead of "als" is says "asl"

Again people can change this themselves if they can't wait for a translation.
          Last edited by Shoto; Wed 13 Sep '06, 3:24am.

Comment

• renep
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Shoto
            instead of "als" it says "asl"
            Thanks, we'll fix that.
            "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
            - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Collectors
              • Dec 2004
              • 3.8.x

Great work! Will this translation work with 3.6.1?

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                • Apr 2003
                • 3.6.x

I guess.. There are no new phrases.

When you are installing it, just ignore the version.
                http://www.nucia.nl/forum/
                The best way to kill malware; is to kill it together.

Comment

• Grover
                  • May 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Originally posted by renep
                  Well no... it doesn't provide buttons and the title text (tooltip) of the button is "Nieuwe discussie starten".

But of course everyone is free to choose or design his own buttons.
                  Ah yes, you are right. I was just browsing your site and didn't realise that indeed those dutch buttons are not provided with this release.

In this posting I wrote:

- De tooltip van de button [Nieuw Onderwerp] luidt : 'Nieuw discussie starten'.
                  Als je dit wilt behouden ipv bijv 'Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen' (wat wellicht logischer is), dan moet het dus zijn : 'Nieuwe discussie starten'.
                  As you are using the button [Nieuw Onderwerp] yourself, maybe it's better to change the tooltip from 'Nieuwe discussie starten' to 'Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen'?

Comment

• renep
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

As you are using the button [Nieuw Onderwerp] yourself, maybe it's better to change the tooltip from 'Nieuwe discussie starten' to 'Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen'?
                    Actually I'm moving in the other direction: on my todo list is: ask designer to change button texts to new translation
                    - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Grover
                      • May 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Actually I'm moving in the other direction: on my todo list is: ask designer to change button texts to new translation
                      Aha. Although I do think that legar has a good point that not every new thread is going to evolve into a discussion (more then 1 post) and therefor [New Thread] should be called [New Topic] instead.

But I understand you don't agree with that? Well... if it stays 'Discussie' instead of 'Onderwerp' in your translation I can live with it perfectly.

Everything is better then having to stick with the stock english translation and the term 'Thread'..... (I guess you are following the stock translation as much as possible and therefor choose to stick with 'Discussie' instead of 'Onderwerp'? Fair enough, but I am one of those people who think that the stock term 'Thread' is wrong to begin with, but I have pointed that out already).

Comment

• renep
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.8.x

I do think that legar has a good point that not every new thread is going to evolve into a discussion (more then 1 post) and therefor [New Thread] should be called [New Topic] instead.

But I understand you don't agree with that?
                        I think the choice is rather arbitrary. There's something to be said for 'onderwerp' (topic), as indeed not every thread is a discussion.

OTOH, an 'onderwerp' is not an object, it's the property of an object. A discussion can have a topic, a conversation can have a topic, a book can have a topic, but you can't win, post in or read a topic, says my 'taalgevoel'. Try it. Say a friend returns from a meeting. So you ask: "Heb je nog wat gezegd in dat onderwerp?" It sounds silly.

Perhaps 'conversatie', or less formal: 'gesprek' woult strictly speaking be better than 'discussie', but it sounds rather 'kunstmatig' and 'ongebruikelijk'.

Also 'discussie' is closer to vB's English original.

Anyway, it's too late now. Choices were made, texts have been translated, tears have been shed, invoices have been sent, bytes burnt to cd-rom. Topic closed, discussions will go on for ever
                        - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• renep
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.8.x

There's a new 1.2 release of our translation for vBulletin 3.6.x. It contains the minor improvements discussed in this thread ('reprimande' -> 'berisping', English phrases after 'discussies verplaatsen', typo, a system message).

Google for: Nederlandse vertaling vBulletin Applinet.
                          - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                            • Apr 2003
                            • 3.6.x

There's a new 1.2 release of our translation for vBulletin 3.6.x. It contains the minor improvements discussed in this thread ('reprimande' -> 'berisping', English phrases after 'discussies verplaatsen', typo, a system message).

Google for: Nederlandse vertaling vBulletin Applinet.
                            Can't you upload it to the forums?

Comment

• renep
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Eagle Creek
                              Can't you upload it to the forums?
                              Yes, I think it's stable now, so I'll submit a release to the vBulletin Downloads forum later this evening.
                              - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

• Eagle Creek
                                • Apr 2003
                                • 3.6.x

Roger!

I hope they have processed my buttons then..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...