vbulletin or ubb threads? vb or threads...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LD1
    • Feb 2002

vbulletin or ubb threads? vb or threads...

i'm stuck and i want to get a forum up by monday night.

can someone run through the quick pros and cons here?

i'm a lifetime UBBer, and i was all set to make my purchase until i came over here.

now, i dunno.

my forum will have 30 users right off the bat and will grow into the thousands within a year.

forgive me, but is the hack community there like it is with ubb? i've had it drilled into my head that vbulleting was the devil's creation, but it's not that different from threads in apperance.

i'm worried about the annual cost though. wiht threads, i buy it and its mine.

what are the big vB complaints?

can i get up and running by monday night?

are all the features running now on this board standard?

somebody, please help a suddenly confused consumer...
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

Uhm, personally I had the same option, UBB or vB.. I took vB

I purchased online, got an E-mail with access to the members area, downloaded the source and uploaded it.
    Run the install php file and there it was .. the vB forum.
    I went to the admin control panel (the back-end of the forum) and I set up my previous 150 users manually (was done in 10 mins) and then set up my boards. All done. I thought this was really easy and simple to do.

The costs: I purchased an owned license, which was $160 and this gives me lifetime support and one year of free upgrades/updates. No other anual fees were required. You buy it, and it is yours forever.

The big complaints are: erhm.. actually .. I do not know!
    (it doesn't come with a free computer?)

There is a big hack community out there for vB too!
    vBulletin.com is the official site, where template-hacks can be found/ and posted (see my signature, I also made a few) and on vBulletin.org there is the hack-database with users who would love to help and support (none official vBulletin support).

There will always be users: UBB > ubb is better then vB. vB > vB is better then ubb! Maybe its just a matter of taste ..

vBulletin has a lite version which is free for download, so you can test it on your system. It doesn't have the full features, but if you can install it, then you can be 99,9% sure that the full purchased version will run as smoothly.
    If you wish to try out that back-end I talked about, vBulletin also has an online demo of the admin.. (with full features I think: just not for download) so you can try things out and see how 'cool' it is. I am not sure if something like this is possible with ubb (ghe ghe, and i dont care!)

Oh, I almost forgot. What you see is what you get! You are staring at vBulletin 2.2.2 .. if you install it on your system, you get the same build up/ style/ colours/ features. And through the admin control panel, you can enable/disable features, update icons/images and tweak and configure the forums to your liking. By altering template's (very easy, through the same admin control panel) you can change even a lot more. So yeah, when you install vB on your web server, it will look just like here. If you'd to check out my site, you can see how easy it is to alter the default style etc, into a new look. I only have template hacks applied and no code-hacking. (which makes it really easy to upgrade to future versions)

So,
    hope this helped you awnser a few questions, and if you wish to purchase vBulletin and get it up by monday, click on the link in my sig (so I get a little bit of commission!) and purchase it! For me, it was worth its money, even if I am just a little hobby guy, trying to stay off of the streets
    Last edited by Floris; Sat 2 Feb '02, 6:58am.

Comment

• LD1
      • Feb 2002

good answers. thanks.

any thoughts from anyone as to a minimum server host requirements for my load?

i'm starting to get worried about the bandwidth issue after reading back through the past two pages on this forum.

should i be?

does VO have the gzip already in the PHP?

what are the top 3 questions i should ask a potential server host?

i'm looking at:

VO
      futerquest
      interserver
      akashik
      weinbar
      hostrocket
      hostproof

(though one of those host* ones had major complaints against it by someone here...)

thanks, all, in advance.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

VenturesOnline does support gzipping your pages. Even with a thousand users unless they get *really* active you won't use more than probably a GB or two of bandwidth per month for the forum (that's assuming you haven't gzipped - if you do it will be probably 50% or less of that).

Are you looking for a dedicated server? Unless you know you can afford it I would start with shared hosting and move to a dedicated when you need it.

HostRocket has had some major complaints against it by forum members here; you may want to check the Hosting forum.

There is a complete hacking/customization community at http://www.vbulletin.org/ which is basically like UBBDev.com except vbulletin.org is an 'official' sister site of this one and you'll find most of the same moderators over there; one of the administrators is a developer of vBulletin.

Comment

• LD1
          • Feb 2002

thanks.

i'm just getting freaked out a bit -- this is my first time over here to the dark side and i'm seeing a lot of talk about bandwidth issues.

i'm definately going the shared route. i'm looking for little out-of-pocket expense starting this up. it'll be more of a hobby, like ubb was a few years back.

good, lord. i never knew there were so many boards out there. honestly. i was blown away by the active users on at avs.

if my boards ever get that active, i just hope they come with paying customers...

the ubbthreads was only going to be $75 for me (unsing my old ubb license), so i've got to get my mind around parting with $160 up front dollars for threads. wish i could pay the $85 now and $75 at the end of the year.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by LD1
            good answers. thanks.

any thoughts from anyone as to a minimum server host requirements for my load?

i'm starting to get worried about the bandwidth issue after reading back through the past two pages on this forum.

should i be?

does VO have the gzip already in the PHP?

what are the top 3 questions i should ask a potential server host?

i'm looking at:

VO
            futerquest
            interserver
            akashik
            weinbar
            hostrocket
            hostproof

(though one of those host* ones had major complaints against it by someone here...)

thanks, all, in advance.

You are starting with about 30 users .. I had about 45 active users in January (out of the 200) .. And I posted a 'stats' thread so I could keep an eye on what is happening. Feel free to have a look [Stats for January]

Comment

• LD1
              • Feb 2002

just to update everyone, my forums pull down about 10.5 million view/month.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...