X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edwin Brown
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Mar 2009
    • 5.5.x

The issue is that we want the default user profile to match the customer site, not the vBulletin default install. That means we have to map the stylevars to the new profile variables. We need a total of two sets of text/background colors that will have enough contrast to be visible, and four sets of text/link/background colors. There aren't that many combinations that have guaranteed contrast.

If the site style keeps the current lightish colors lightish, and the darkish colors darkish, then all will be fine. If the colors are all reversed,so the current lightish colors become darkish and the current darkish colors become lightish, all will be well. But if some of the darkish colors become lightish, and some of the lightish colors stay lightish then there could be a problem.

The long-term solution is that as we add the "theme" capability we will add the ability to customize the default theme. In 408 we put in the back-end code to process that default style but not the front-end code that allows the admin to set the default. The ability to set this will be in v409.

So this problem can be fixed with an SQL query. You can do it either in admincp > maintenance > execute sql query, in phpmyadmin, or any other sql query tool you have. This has not been through QA, so this is unsupported and must be done carefully.

1. Go to your own profile and customize it to look like the default.
    2. Get your userid. It very likely is one but isn't guaranteed.
    3. Execute the query
      UPDATE <TABLE_PREFIX>customprofile SET userid = -1 WHERE userid = <this userid>;
      So for example if on your member profile page the url is something like member.php?12-fred, and your table prefix is vbf_, your query would be
      UPDATE vbf_customprofile SET userid = -1 WHERE userid = 12;

and any users who haven't customized their profile will get the new default.
    4. If you don't like the results, you can remove the profile by executing
      DELETE FROM <TABLE_PREFIX>customprofile WHERE userid = -1
    5. If you execute step 3 and want to change again, please execute the query in step 4 to delete the saved default profile before you save a new one.

Again, in 409 this won't be necessary.

Last edited by Edwin Brown; Thu 21 Oct '10, 8:43am.
    Please- I'm not tech support. Don't send your problem reports to me unless I've asked you to.

Comment

• Lionel
      • Apr 2001

Thank you. That fixed the tabs, but not the left block links

Never mind. That's fine now.

Comment

• Sean James
        • Apr 2004

This may be a silly question... Why was this not released in 4.0.8? as its obvious alot of users are going to encounter this problem
        Bluepearl Skins - vBulletin 4 & 5 Skins

Comment

• Lionel
          • Apr 2001

Why do you have to complain for? Edwin explained the issue exactly and provided a simple fix. Me I had rather have 4.0.8 now rather than wait another week for them to provide a final solution and test it.

And that final solution will not be simple as people could have multiple light and dark styles

Comment

• Lionel
            • Apr 2001

@Edwin, The change does not apply to user awaiting confirmation

Comment

• CK
              Banned
              • Mar 2010

Thanks, worked a charm.

Comment

• oddmud
                • Oct 2009

I can't customize my own profile, because it does not work in Firefox. The customization tab just makes the top header and menus grey out.
                Jason Craig – Partner
                Wet Coast Sports LTD
                Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• worried
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by oddmud
                  I can't customize my own profile, because it does not work in Firefox. The customization tab just makes the top header and menus grey out.
                  admincp >> setting >> options >> Server Settings and Optimization Options >> Use Remote YUI >> None

Comment

• pod
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Edwin Brown
                    That means we have to map the stylevars to the new profile variables.
                    Of course, but are you sure the current mapping is the best one possible? Taking a look at vB_ProfileCustomize::getSiteDefaultTheme() we can extract the mapping, as I posted earlier. For instance,

moduleinactive_text_color => header_background.color
                    moduleinactive_link_color => header_background.color
                    moduleinactive_background_color => tabslight_selected_background.color
                    moduleinactive_border => light_border.color
                    Moduleinactive colors arecontroled by header_background, tabslight_selected_background (why this one? "selected" is pretty much the opposite of "inactive") and light_border stylevars. How are those stylevars related? When creating a new style, I'd never imagine those stylevars used together, so I would not spend time that those colors work well together. And moduleinactive also controls the sidebar, that's why there's always a problem with that.

(Active)module colors make much more sense:

module_text_color => navbar_tab_color.color
                    module_link_color => navbar_tab_color.color
                    module_background_color => navbar_tab_selected_background.color
                    module_border => navbar_background.color
                    All of those stylevars are related to the navbar, so when you design a theme you make sure that those colors work well together.

Since you're using the navbar for the module active thing, it would make sense to use the stylevars for the selected tab in the navbar for the module inactive, no?. Or, at least, a bunch of stylevars that are supposed to work together (like blockhead, blocksubhead, blockfoot, whatever).

Other thing that surprised me is that the buttons don't use the "control_" stylevars, which are used for similar buttons around vb afaik.

It's great that we'll have themes in the next release But it'd also be great if the out of the box default theme was a little bit more rational.
                    "War doesn't determine who is right. Only who is left" Bertran Russel.

Comment

• Sean James
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by pod
                      Of course, but are you sure the current mapping is the best one possible? Taking a look at vB_ProfileCustomize::getSiteDefaultTheme() we can extract the mapping, as I posted earlier. For instance,

Moduleinactive colors arecontroled by header_background, tabslight_selected_background (why this one? "selected" is pretty much the opposite of "inactive") and light_border stylevars. How are those stylevars related? When creating a new style, I'd never imagine those stylevars used together, so I would not spend time that those colors work well together. And moduleinactive also controls the sidebar, that's why there's always a problem with that.

(Active)module colors make much more sense:

All of those stylevars are related to the navbar, so when you design a theme you make sure that those colors work well together.

Since you're using the navbar for the module active thing, it would make sense to use the stylevars for the selected tab in the navbar for the module inactive, no?. Or, at least, a bunch of stylevars that are supposed to work together (like blockhead, blocksubhead, blockfoot, whatever).

Other thing that surprised me is that the buttons don't use the "control_" stylevars, which are used for similar buttons around vb afaik.

It's great that we'll have themes in the next release But it'd also be great if the out of the box default theme was a little bit more rational.
                      This is what i dont understand either, just does not make sense at all, who ever designed this was not thinking at all.
                      Bluepearl Skins - vBulletin 4 & 5 Skins

Comment

• Lionel
                        • Apr 2001

I also thought that the navbar elements made more sense. I also like the idea that admin could set the default. All they'd have to do is to add a styleid in that table customprofile

Comment

• M.Scheel
                          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Edwin Brown

1. Go to your own profile and customize it to look like the default.
                          2. Get your userid. It very likely is one but isn't guaranteed.
                          3. Execute the query
                            UPDATE <TABLE_PREFIX>customprofile SET userid = -1 WHERE userid = <this userid>;
                            So for example if on your member profile page the url is something like member.php?12-fred, and your table prefix is vbf_, your query would be
                            UPDATE vbf_customprofile SET userid = -1 WHERE userid = 1;

and any users who haven't customized their profile will get the new default.
                          4. If you don't like the results, you can remove the profile by executing
                            DELETE FROM <TABLE_PREFIX>customprofile WHERE userid = -1
                          5. If you execute step 3 and want to change again, please execute the query in step 4 to delete the saved default profile before you save a new one.

This does not work on my forum.

I have the entry in the customprofile db with userid -1 but all user profiles don't look like my user profile after I did the query.

Any help?
                          Michael Scheel
                          Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin

Web: www.Kinderarzt-Cuxland.de
                          Facebook: Kinderarzt.Cuxland
                          Instagram: Kinderarzt.Cuxland

Comment

• Taurus1
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 3.8.x

Thanks, it works. But what if you have light and dark skins? I customized my profile to fit in with my dark skins, and now my profile pages on the light skins looks terrible!

I agree with Griffin80 on this one. Someone was most definitely not thinking here!!
                            For custom designed Windows 7 Visual Styles/Themes, please visit CreativX!

Comment

• CK
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by StarBuG
                              This does not work on my forum.

I have the entry in the customprofile db with userid -1 but all user profiles don't look like my user profile after I did the query.

Any help?
                              Are you using a table prefix or do you not require one?

Comment

• M.Scheel
                                • Sep 2001

I used: UPDATE customprofile SET userid = -1 WHERE userid = 1;

I dont use table prefix and I am UserID 1
                                Michael Scheel
                                Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin

Web: www.Kinderarzt-Cuxland.de
                                Facebook: Kinderarzt.Cuxland
                                Instagram: Kinderarzt.Cuxland

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...