X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ion Saliu
    • Sep 2010
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] vB 4.0.7 upgrade stopped working

I bought vBulletin v4.0.6 on September 2, 2010. I received and upgrade notice on September 15. I upgraded immediately to v4.0.7. Everything worked OK until September 17, two days after the upgrade.

All of a sudden, vBulletin stopped working at my website:

http://forums.saliu.com/

I can only see an empty page and some script errors: “<script type="text/javas

The response from tech support was quite cryptic to me and kind of ridiculous. They tell me to re-upload all non-image files! But there are hundreds and hundreds of pages! Should I re-upload the files from the upgrade or the original files I bought? Besides, they tell me to use admincp — but I can’t access anything in my /forums. domain!

Would someone please help me fix this terrible headache? Do I have to actually buy a new version of vB and reinstall? That would be a rip-off! And why does so many hundreds of pages change so that 'File does not contain expected contents'? Why did the content change?

Users of my forums already started to bombard me with emails…

I deeply hate updates and upgrades!

Thank you for any meaningful and effective help.

Ion Saliu
  • bszopi
    • Nov 2009
    • 4.1.x

Just re-upload the 4.0.7 files that you downloaded the other day. You already own a license, so you can realistically download the files from here as many times as you want, as long as you don't use them for a different website. No need to pay again. In fact, no need to pay until vb5.0 comes out, no matter how many times you download the files.

And not sure why you think the response from support is ridiculous... It appears something has corrupted the files on your server, therefore re-uploading all the files would possibly correct the issue.

Comment

• Ion Saliu
      • Sep 2010
      • 4.2.X

Thanks for your prompt response.

I reuploaded the entire ‘Upload’ (4.0.7) folder to my /forums.saliu.com domain. The upgrade script ran correctly; I deleted the install.php…

After several tries, I succeeded to run
      http://forums.saliu.com/admincp/diagnostic.php for ‘Suspect File Versions ‘.

The hundreds of previous files with errors disappeared. There was only one left, in the ‘./clientscript/yui/history/assets’ folder:
      blank.html : ‘File does not contain expected contents’.

I reuploaded it — still the same problem. I deleted it and I had the same problem. A blank page opens with a partial navigation bar, then a script error. I can’t do anything at all. I don’t see the forums, I can’t read my private messages, etc.

Yes, I cleaned my PC, I deleted all Internet temp files, I defragmented, I ran security software… all for naught…

Please, help me!

Ion Saliu

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

What is going on in your support ticket? If I were to guess, I'd almost think you were hacked. (I've seen other users get hacked where only some of their page will load, like on your site.) Did you talk to your host when your site went down? They are the ones who can help you figure out if you've been hacked.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Ion Saliu
          • Sep 2010
          • 4.2.X

That blank.html file has this source code:

<html><head><title>bhm</title></head><body>&#160;</body></html>

It is 1 KB in size on my PC; it has 63 KB in my vB /forums/!

There is another file in the same folder: A completely empty index.html.

Thanks for any help.

Ion Saliu

Comment

• Ion Saliu
            • Sep 2010
            • 4.2.X

No, my Web site has not been down. I can access any page, any script. I can upload and download. I can even access my vB /forums. domain. The only thing is the forum is almost empty — It doesn’t show anything meaningful anymore…

Anybody can access my Web site without a problem:

http://saliu.com/

Ion Saliu

Comment

• borbole
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Ion Saliu
              No, my Web site has not been down. I can access any page, any script. I can upload and download. I can even access my vB /forums. domain. The only thing is the forum is almost empty — It doesn’t show anything meaningful anymore…

Anybody can access my Web site without a problem:

http://saliu.com/

Ion Saliu
              Can you access your forum ''s Acp?

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                • Sep 2010
                • 4.2.X

Thanks, but what's that?

''s Acp?

As I said, I can direct the browser to http://forums.saliu.com/admincp/diagnostic.php. I can't open the admin panel in the interface. Actually, as I said, I can't do anything at all in the interface. I can see there are private messages, but the Inbox stops with a script error...

Comment

• Shamil.
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 4.2.X

Originally posted by borbole
                  Can you access your forum ''s Acp?
                  Its login page is working fine.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Shamil.
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.2.X

Thanks, but what's that?

''s Acp?

As I said, I can direct the browser to http://forums.saliu.com/admincp/diagnostic.php. I can't open the admin panel in the interface. Actually, as I said, I can't do anything at all in the interface. I can see there are private messages, but the Inbox stops with a script error...
                    He means your admincp. We cannot read the output of that page, since we don't have access to your forum.

In your config.php file, please enter, below the <?php,

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Save the file and upload back to the server.

Comment

• borbole
                      • Feb 2010

Thanks, but what's that?

''s Acp?

I meant The Admin Panel of your forum. If you can access it fine, check the header template in there and see if it is intact.

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

I looked up your host, there have been a series of base64 hacking attempts on sites hosted with GoDaddy. I'd suggest you contact your host and see if that is what is causing you issues.

Your blank.html file is fine. For some reason, it always shows up in that list.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 4.2.X

All’s well that ends well!

Thank you all very much, indeed. I fixed the problem with my forum.

It was a mixture of factors, hacking included. Windows 7 sent me a few warnings, including Trojans and other threats.

The variety of text editors I use might have contributed. I re-edited the config.php file and strange blank.html. I tried also different file transfer modes with WS_FTP Pro client. I notified my webhost on possible hacking.

I am always mindful that I do have foes. They will be rattled for as long as I am alive and kicking. I know I rattled a few yesterday, before my forum went down. I am aware that they will try again. I can only wish vBulletin gets tougher and tougher in security matters. On the otgher hand, I have already changed the logins and passwords.

Thanks again everyone. Best of luck!

Ion Saliu

Comment

• Shamil.
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Glad to see that this is resolved

Comment

• Ion Saliu
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 4.2.X

Lynne:

I want to thank you again. You were right. I opened my config.php file on the server side. It did show the base64 in a very long header. I deleted it and then re-uploaded the file on my PC. I already notified my webhost of hacking attempts on sites hosted with GoDaddy.

Best of luck to all!

Ion Saliu

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...