X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wat3v3r
    • Jun 2008
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Boofo
    I have only been with ServInt for a month but have had nio issues at all. I was thinking of going with VPSLatch at first , but then realized "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".
    Seriously, finally moved to knownhost yesterday could not deal with downtimes and complains of us having a high CPU usage. I now have a little less spec vps than on vpslatch but amazingly my forum loads A LOT faster, no errors, no high CPU usage and no freakin downtime. I learnt my lesson the hard way "cheap is not always good" for sure.

Comment

• Boofo
      • Apr 2002
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by wat3v3r
      Seriously, finally moved to knownhost yesterday could not deal with downtimes and complains of us having a high CPU usage. I now have a little less spec vps than on vpslatch but amazingly my forum loads A LOT faster, no errors, no high CPU usage and no freakin downtime. I learnt my lesson the hard way "cheap is not always good" for sure.
      I hadn't seen knownhost before. ServInt has been around 15 years and I got 10GB more space for the same price that knownhost charges for their 768 MB memory account with CPanel added. Looks to be pretty close to the same other than that.

VPSLatch kind of scared me with some of the problem posts I was reading. Sounds like they are cramming more sites onto servers than they should. VPS hosting shouldn't have the same kind of problems that shared hosting does, I would think.
      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

• wat3v3r
        • Jun 2008
        • 3.8.x

The one thing that made me go for knownhost instead of Servint, was custom upgrades. Like for example in the near future i start exhausting our current ram i can just pay $12 and get another 256mb added on the same plan rather than just upgrading our whole plan. Same thing goes for diskspace, Bandwidth etc etc.

Comment

• Boofo
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

The one thing that made me go for knownhost instead of Servint, was custom upgrades. Like for example in the near future i start exhausting our current ram i can just pay $12 and get another 256mb added on the same plan rather than just upgrading our whole plan. Same thing goes for diskspace, Bandwidth etc etc.
          I looked at some of their prices after you posted about them and I didn't think they were very good for what you get, but then that is just me, I guess.

I did like that ServInt includes CPanel free without having to pay monthly for it, too.
          vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

• wat3v3r
            • Jun 2008
            • 3.8.x

If you compare the prices it turns out same with Cpanel too.. $45 for VPS $5 for cpanel = $50 total in Knownhost ... $49 VPS+Cpanel in Servint... so basically a dollars difference Plus i got mine at 10% discount/month so if i had gone for the $45 vps it would cost me only $45 with cpanel (cpanel is indirectly free?) Anyways i ain't stressing servint is bad or anything i would have defiantly gone with them as my 2nd choice. Both of the hosts have good repute, as long as my site has no downtimes and errors I'm happy with any host xD

Comment

• Boofo
              • Apr 2002
              • 4.1.x

If you compare the prices it turns out same with Cpanel too.. $45 for VPS $5 for cpanel = $50 total in Knownhost ... $49 VPS+Cpanel in Servint... so basically a dollars difference Plus i got mine at 10% discount/month so if i had gone for the $45 vps it would cost me only $45 with cpanel (cpanel is indirectly free?) Anyways i ain't stressing servint is bad or anything i would have defiantly gone with them as my 2nd choice. Both of the hosts have good repute, as long as my site has no downtimes and errors I'm happy with any host xD
              True, they both seem to be exceptional VPS hosters. I went with ServInt because of a recommendation from a good friend of mine. He had dealt with them in the past. Plus, I got 50% off for the first 3 months, so that helped, too. If I had known about Knownhost at the time, it might have been a toss-up as to which one to go with. I have yet to set anything on the VPS though as I know squat about it. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Which one did you end up going with?

Comment

• wat3v3r
                • Jun 2008
                • 3.8.x

We got the vs4 pack, just to be the safe side, i may buy vs3 too later for another site, but that's a different story.

Comment

• Vibhor
                  • Jun 2009

Hello All,

Sorry, Couldn't update this thread on time, but I have now moved to VPSLatch. Initially, I signed up for M512 Plan but with in a couple of days, I upgraded to 1GB RAM Plan because 512 was not proving sufficient enough for my community. Now, things are going smoothly, however, I was facing some issues regarding Database Errors (Invalid SQL, MySQL Gone away etc) but they seem to have fixed it now. Though, I'm still keeping the things under observation. All in all, Support has been fantastic till now and so the experience. The "Cheap" may not be the best always, but then, for a person like me who is strictly under a tight budget and other limitations, perhaps this deal isn't proving to be too bad. I hope to stay with them for some years, if everything goes well.

Cheers!

Comment

• wat3v3r
                    • Jun 2008
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Vibhor
                    Hello All,

Sorry, Couldn't update this thread on time, but I have now moved to VPSLatch. Initially, I signed up for M512 Plan but with in a couple of days, I upgraded to 1GB RAM Plan because 512 was not proving sufficient enough for my community. Now, things are going smoothly, however, I was facing some issues regarding Database Errors (Invalid SQL, MySQL Gone away etc) but they seem to have fixed it now. Though, I'm still keeping the things under observation. All in all, Support has been fantastic till now and so the experience. The "Cheap" may not be the best always, but then, for a person like me who is strictly under a tight budget and other limitations, perhaps this deal isn't proving to be too bad. I hope to stay with them for some years, if everything goes well.

Cheers!
                    It ran really smooth for me too at start but when our traffic became active it was all together a different ball game then. But anyways i wish you all the best with them, they certainly did not work for me.

In regards to support i would like to point this experience of mine with them, I asked them to install Xcache for me (a normal request). After almost a day i got an email confirming xcache was installed, it showed in php info too... all good so far. I go to change my caching option and i still see Xcache as unsupported o.O. Okay perhaps there was some error in the script, i still enable xcache as it clearly showed up as installed in php info. Now all hell breaks loose... my site starts getting 500 Internal Server errors, thinking it's the caching i close it down and revert to normal settings. But the issue remains my users will get 500 Internal Server Error least twice a day when my site will become unresponsive that time (for like 5-10 minutes). I asked tech for help they kept saying as they can't see when the error actually occurs they can just tweak settings.. okay my fault?

Moved to new host asked Xcache to be installed. Done in an hour, the script immediately recognizes Xcache as a caching option (i have done no change in scripts what so ever just moved hosts) They tell Zend Optimizer will clash with Xcache so they will uninstall it (previous host never told me this) Site is running perfectly with no errors at all.

So yeah, anyways it could be my error on this as i'm new to managing servers and all, but wasn't that the reason i was paying more for a Managed Account ??
                    Last edited by wat3v3r; Fri 20 Aug '10, 9:31pm.

Comment

• FranklinWalker
                      • Aug 2010

I am looking for a web hosting

Comment

• syrus.xl
                        • Jun 2005

A VPS is for people that don't want Shared and don't need a Dedicated box either. A decent dedicated server would cost much more than just $39 a month, for a start top spec hardware is around $20,000 a server, then you need the licenses on top. All I can say is that for $39 a month, the servers must be very low on specifications.

Comment

• Boofo
                          • Apr 2002
                          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                          A VPS is for people that don't want Shared and don't need a Dedicated box either. A decent dedicated server would cost much more than just $39 a month, for a start top spec hardware is around $20,000 a server, then you need the licenses on top. All I can say is that for $39 a month, the servers must be very low on specifications.
                          My thoughts exactly. I have yet to see a dedicated server for that price that would be better than a VPS.

Comment

• wat3v3r
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by ryan1918
                            I don't know why people bother getting vps's get a low end dedicated server, I sell them starting at $39 a month, they would be 10x faster and better than a vps, your dedicated resources, your dedicated bandwidth, and full sever control instead of being a virtual dedicated server..
                            $39 ? a p3 processor with 128mb ram and 20gb HDD is it ? Unless you would oversell that server i have no clue how you can sell a dedicated at that price and make yourself some money too. A decent dedicated which compares to my current VPS won't cost me no less then $200.

I use a VPS as my sites is too big for a shared host, but at the same time not so big either for a dedicated. A VPS is quite ideal for me currently doesn't cost a lot and runs my site smoothly with no problems.

Comment

• ryan1918
                              • Jun 2010

It doesn't matter what I make that is what I sell and I make a decent profit, It's not a p3(much better than a p3), It's an atom 330 2 cores at 1.6ghz each, with 1 gb of ram, $5 to upgrade to 2gb, with 2000 gb of bandwidth, 100mbit port, and a 250gb hard drive.. I even got Quad Core XEON 4 cores 2.53ghz 4gb dd3 ram 500gb hd, for a very good price too..

Comment

• ryan1918
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by syrus.xl
                                You have no idea what you are talking about, what kind of server costs $20k? I could build one of the fastest servers out there in the market with the highest processor, ram, cores, port, and not even cost $5k..

What I sell, the atom 330, is at least 10x better than any vps on the market, because you get dedicated resources, you aren't sharing with anyone, the entire cpu/ram/bandwidth is yours, not being shared among anyone..

I still wanna see what you would pay for $20k, because I will build 5 of them for what your paying...

Hell, a I7 8 cores @ 2.8ghz each core, 32gb dd3 ram, 1gbit port, 2TB hd x 2 wouldn't even cost more than a few grand to build

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...