Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quasar
    • Aug 2007

[Forum] Welcome Personal Message

I've tried setting the Welcome Personal Message on my site (after two years with vB without ) and seem to have come across an error, or an issue of some sort.

I've set the user to be the sender of the Welcome PM, and I've made sure there is a translation in English in the phrases, but for the body only, not the title (as I assume it picks the title from the default text).

I've included a couple of variables I belive work as well as using BBCode (not sure if you can or not). I've registered two seperate users, and no Welcome PM.

My forum has moderated members, and I know that it won't be sent without them being approved, which I've done.

Any help? Am I missing something? I've seen other users have got vB4 running the Welcome PM, so I'm wondering what I've missed.
  • quasar
    • Aug 2007

Any suggestions at all?

I've double checked all the settings, and still not able to get it to work.

Comment

• Harv
      • Jan 2005
      • 4.1.x

Originally posted by quasar
      Any suggestions at all?

I've double checked all the settings, and still not able to get it to work.
      Under Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email, can you successfully send a mail from there?
      Also I don't think BBCode will work (the code would just show unless the user's email client parses BBCode), though it shouldn't stop the mail from sending.

Comment

• quasar
        • Aug 2007

It's not the email one I have the problem with, but the internal Welcome PM. Email ones work fine, I've not had any issues with that, just hte PM.

Thanks for replying, was feeling a little lonely here...

Comment

• Harv
          • Jan 2005
          • 4.1.x

It's not the email one I have the problem with, but the internal Welcome PM. Email ones work fine, I've not had any issues with that, just hte PM.

Thanks for replying, was feeling a little lonely here...
          I know how you feel, it happens here from time to time

I should have read your post more closely - My bad.

Comment

• Harv
            • Jan 2005
            • 4.1.x

I know you've probably checked this 100 times already, but you do have Receive Private Messages checked in the Default Registration Options (on the same page you set up the welcome PM), and your newly registered users can get PM's?

Comment

• quasar
              • Aug 2007

Yup, checked that, they get the default 50 PMs, but of course only receive PMs after approval. I've held off posting this as a bug report, as I don't think it is, I just think I've missed something, but can't seem to find out what.

Comment

• Harv
                • Jan 2005
                • 4.1.x

Yup, checked that, they get the default 50 PMs, but of course only receive PMs after approval. I've held off posting this as a bug report, as I don't think it is, I just think I've missed something, but can't seem to find out what.
                If I get a chance I'll try to set welcome PM's up on my site (I've never used them either). Sorry I was no help - I'll post if I find anything.

Comment

• quasar
                  • Aug 2007

Thanks Harv, hope you can pass me any tips on...

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

You cannot put BBCode into your welcome PM. Depending on what you did, it either doesn't get sent, or you will end up with a blank PM.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• quasar
                      • Aug 2007

Thanks Lynne, that makes sense. How do I link to URLs, HTML <a> tags?

Comment

• Lynne
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • Oct 2004

If I recall, you cannot put html in it either. I can't remember if there was a mod over on vbulletin.org to allow this.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• quasar
                          • Aug 2007

Thanks Lynne, I'll post the links as pure text, which I assume the URL parser will register and change to proper links.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 3.8.x

For some reason, vB3 allowed you to put BBCode in phrases for PM's. Don't understand why vB4 prevents this now.
                            That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment