VB Friendly URLs and Duplicate Content?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hikikomori
    • Mar 2010

[Forum] VB Friendly URLs and Duplicate Content?

Hi,

By default it looks like vb4 uses "basic friendly URLs". I might be part of the minority, but I'd prefer the standard URLs so I have chosen that setting instead. My only worry is it appears that even though you've chosen standard URLs, both the basic and advanced friendly URLs still work. For instance, if my first thread was titled "First Post" and I have selected standard URLs, I would browse to that page with the URL "showthread.php?t=1", but using "showthread.php?1-First-Post" and "showthread.php/1-First-Post" formats still work. In fact even using a URL such as "showthread.php?1-random-gibberish-fdsfsdfds" would still direct to that first post. Just wondering if search engines would see this as duplicate content?

Assuming that search engines wouldn't see it as duplicate content and that it's not really a problem, is there a way I can remove this behaviour anyways? I'd much prefer that other URL formats would go to a 404 or invalid thread page.

Thanks.
  • ReMoN SaMiR
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.6.x

Same problem here! Any support?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Lizard King
      Banned
      • Mar 2004
      • 3.6.x

Please try creating a bug report so developers can take a look at it.

Comment

• Alex Older
        • Sep 2003

I think the reason showthread.php?1-random-gibberish-fdsfsdfds works is because it's got the post ID in the string.

And search engines will only pick up URLs from links so unless someone linked to a thread with that query google, etc wouldn't pick it up.
        Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Alex Older
          I think the reason showthread.php?1-random-gibberish-fdsfsdfds works is because it's got the post ID in the string.

And search engines will only pick up URLs from links so unless someone linked to a thread with that query google, etc wouldn't pick it up.
          it's not good that this is an option
          someone could easily make 1,000 of links to the same page and ruin your rankings
          example

all point to the same info
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Alex Older
            • Sep 2003

I know it's not good, but incoming links are good. Google doesn't know its the same information.
            Problems with vB4? Try This Thread for answers!

Comment

• Loco.M
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Alex Older
              I know it's not good, but incoming links are good. Google doesn't know its the same information.
              LMAO...

ya okay
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Andreas
                • Feb 2004

@Hikikomori
                I am not sure if this is a bug as my installation behaves different.

Did you set
                Enforce Canonical URL = Strict
                Enforce Canonical URL for Registered Users = Yes
                ?

Comment

• Hikikomori
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Andreas
                  @Hikikomori
                  I am not sure if this is a bug as my installation behaves different.

Did you set
                  Enforce Canonical URL = Strict
                  Enforce Canonical URL for Registered Users = Yes
                  ?
                  Oops, I already made a bug report as advised by Lizard King. I have tried setting the enforce canonical URL to strict and after a clear look I see now it redirects guests to the standard URL format. I assume this is a 301 redirect so it shouldn't be a problem for duplicate content. I have actually played around with these settings before and didn't even notice that they did that as I was so focused on trying to see a invalid thread/404 page that I thought those options didn't even make a difference.

However, I don't see the "Enforce Canonical URL for Registered Users" option in my admincp, or at least I can't seem to find it. Anyone know where I can find this setting?

In the end I'd probably prefer to have an option so that other URL formats would not work as people can make threads such as "showthread.php?1-free-money-here" or "showthread.php?1-hot-girls" to get people to go to certain threads. Probably the chance of that happening is slim, I guess I'm just a little picky.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...