Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ozymandyus
    • Mar 2005
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] "Stuck" user account...can't change password, can't login, can't reset

As the title says, I have an odd situation with a user account. They indicated they couldn't log in, so I sent them a password reminder. After going through that process, they still couldn't log in. I went in and reset the password myself manually in AdminCP, everything else about the account looked normal. User still could not log in using the new password, and after I've tested it myself on three other machines, have concluded that something is messed up.

Other things I thought of were to make sure the account wasn't banned or in any funky groups...didn't apply. I also did a repair/optimize on my database, but that didn't seem to help either.

I can delete and re-create the account, but it seems to me that I'd like to know the root cause here, so I can avoid it in the future. Any suggestions?
  • Ozymandyus
    • Mar 2005
    • 4.2.X

46 views but no responses...would anyone from Jelsoft care to comment before I waste someone's time by making this an official support inquiry?

Comment

• Lynne
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Oct 2004

You said you tested it yourself, but you didn't say what the result was - were you able to login? Does the user have a strange username?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• jumbo-mumbo
        • Dec 2007

try different browser like firefox and google chrome
        ( i recently updated my production site to vb4, and i can not login on IE8 )

Comment

• Ozymandyus
          • Mar 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Lynne
          You said you tested it yourself, but you didn't say what the result was - were you able to login? Does the user have a strange username?
          When I tested it myself, I could not log in either. I used the password she had on the account, could not log in. I sent her the password reset email. She reset the password to something new, but still could not log in with either the new or old password. I then tried changing it to something different myself in ACP, and still could not log into it. I tried doing so on other machines, but with no success. This was in IE 7, IE 8, and Mozilla 3.6.x.

Her username is just a five-letter proper name, nothing particularly odd about it.

It seems like something perhaps messed up in the database, but I can't find anything structurally wrong with it.

Comment

• hiuuf
            • Nov 2009
            • 3.8.x

i had the same problem

here is the solution

1) Download the 4.0.2 PL4 patch files.
            2) Set your site to be offline.

3) Make sure your install directory still exists. If not, upload the install directory from your vBulletin package
            to your vBulletin directory, leaving out install/install.php.
            4) Upload the patch files to your vBulletin directory.
            5) Run the url http://your.site.com/vBdirectory/ins...e_402_salt.php
            6) Set your site to be online.

100% Google Adsense Revenue SharingWebmaster Forum

Comment

• jumbo-mumbo
              • Dec 2007

Guess What i m receiving same complains too. Did you find any FIX for this Ozymandyus ?

Comment

• Ozymandyus
                • Mar 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jumbo-mumbo
                Guess What i m receiving same complains too. Did you find any FIX for this Ozymandyus ?
                Nothing official so far, no. I've gone into the database manually and removed every reference I could find to the account and email in question, including old posts, and sent the user a new account signup this morning. If that works I'll post something here to inform you. As far as fixes via the vBulletin interface and tools, no...nothing worked.

Comment

• jumbo-mumbo
                  • Dec 2007

Thanks for the information bud.

I found something for you, i didnt try this out, but looks promising.

Let me know if that work out for ya.

Comment

• Ozymandyus
                    • Mar 2005
                    • 4.2.X

Thanks, Jumbo-mumbo. I'm running patch level 4 so I don't think those instructions apply to me...and I'd be scared to run the PL2 script now for fear of it being incompatible with the PL4 files. Still waiting for some feedback from the affected user, if going into the database manually didn't fix it, I'm going to open a support ticket to get this straightened out.

Originally posted by jumbo-mumbo
                    Thanks for the information bud.

I found something for you, i didnt try this out, but looks promising.

Let me know if that work out for ya.

Comment

• Biker
                      • Oct 2003

Running the upgrade_402_salt.php script that came with PL4 may indeed fix your issue.
                      I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• jumbo-mumbo
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ozymandyus
                        Thanks, Jumbo-mumbo. I'm running patch level 4 so I don't think those instructions apply to me...and I'd be scared to run the PL2 script now for fear of it being incompatible with the PL4 files. Still waiting for some feedback from the affected user, if going into the database manually didn't fix it, I'm going to open a support ticket to get this straightened out.
                        sorry bud, I gave you the wrong link.. However apply same instructions with pl4 script.
                        Sorry once again.

Comment

• Ozymandyus
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 4.2.X

I've run the script, will try creating some accounts tonight and see if there's still an issue.

Comment

• Elyk
                            • Sep 2003
                            • 4.2.x

2nd post by Floris in this thread shows what to check for if the upgrade worked or didn't work or wasn't done or was an operator screw up.

Comment

• Ozymandyus
                              • Mar 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Thanks, Elyk. For convenience I've posted that information here (without the condescension from the original post). Disclaimer is that it didn't apply to my situation, but might be helpful to others:

What needs to be done manually, if you're still having issues. Two things to check:

Go into your database and look at table user and field salt, and see if charlength is set to 3 or 30?
                              Then open the file includes/class_dm_user.php and see at around line 18 if salt is set 3 or 30?

Both those values should be 30. If not, then shut down your board, re-upload the patch, and run the upgrade script. Check the values again. If the database still shows the wrong value for salt, then you can edit that value manually to 30 as a last resort.

Comment