• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomshawk
    • Jul 2003
    • 4.2.X

[Forum] Upgrading Hacked 3.6 to Latest release

Hello everyone,

I apologise if this has been asked before, actually I am sure it has, but...

I have 3.6 installed and it has quite a few hacks installed, to numerous to count actually.

and sadly I have been away from the site for years, but, I am now going to be getting back into it

I plan on upgrading to the latest version, and I think for ease of transfer it'd be best to wipe out the 3.6 files completely and do a fresh install, but, I would like to keep the forum structure and posts in them intact.

Once done, i'll install newer versions f the hacks I want

So, onto the questions.
    1) I know from past upgrades that impex has worked, has anyone been successful from 3.6 to the latest version?
    2) a) Would it be better to do a fresh database and import the old one, or
    b) just leave the database and install into it.

If I do 2b, how do you clean out the hacks from the database other than the uninstalls and would that work?

I'm leaning toward a clean database and impex, I just want some of your thoughts as I would hate to loose all that data?
    My Website
    My vBulletin Installation
  • borbole
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tomshawk
    Hello everyone,

I apologise if this has been asked before, actually I am sure it has, but...

I have 3.6 installed and it has quite a few hacks installed, to numerous to count actually.

and sadly I have been away from the site for years, but, I am now going to be getting back into it

I plan on upgrading to the latest version, and I think for ease of transfer it'd be best to wipe out the 3.6 files completely and do a fresh install, but, I would like to keep the forum structure and posts in them intact.

Once done, i'll install newer versions f the hacks I want

So, onto the questions.
    1) I know from past upgrades that impex has worked, has anyone been successful from 3.6 to the latest version?
    2) a) Would it be better to do a fresh database and import the old one, or
    b) just leave the database and install into it.

If I do 2b, how do you clean out the hacks from the database other than the uninstalls and would that work?

I'm leaning toward a clean database and impex, I just want some of your thoughts as I would hate to loose all that data?
    In my opinion it would be best to do a direct upgrade. Uninstall all the mods, then perform the upgrade. (check the readme file inside the vb package of the version that you want to upgrade to for a detailed how-to.) Also don''t forget to make a thorough backup of your db prior to the upgrade.

Comment

• prisoner 24601
      • Apr 2008
      • 3.7.x

... and do a full website backup. You want to make sure you get all your current forum stuff backed up.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

If you're upgrading from 3.6.x, then you should upgrade first to 3.8.5, backup the database again then upgrade to 4.0.2.

As stated above, uninstall all the modifications you've made as these will cause problems otherwise.
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
          If you're upgrading from 3.6.x, then you should upgrade first to 3.8.5, backup the database again then upgrade to 4.0.2.

As stated above, uninstall all the modifications you've made as these will cause problems otherwise.
          Also backup your vB 3.x styles, copy ANY ad codes or other "banners" etc before you upgrade and delete the vB3 styles, all of them except a fresh plain default style THEN upgrade.

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• tomshawk
            • Jul 2003
            • 4.2.X

No matter which way I go, I know I definately need to back up everything, database as well as the whole site.

I'm just thinking that it would be quicker to do a clean install and restore forums and posts via impex, because uninstalling the 100+ hacks I have would take forever.

Maybe I should ask this in the impex forum.

Thanks everyone
            My Website

Comment

• borbole
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by tomshawk
              No matter which way I go, I know I definately need to back up everything, database as well as the whole site.

I'm just thinking that it would be quicker to do a clean install and restore forums and posts via impex, because uninstalling the 100+ hacks I have would take forever.

Maybe I should ask this in the impex forum.

Thanks everyone
              Impex is used to import from other forums to vb and/or merge 2 vb forums together and not for upgrading as it is your case.

Comment

• tomshawk
                • Jul 2003
                • 4.2.X

borbole,

It's also used to import from vb to vb, and I did it from vb 2.x to 3.x in which case it went flawlessly, but my vb 2.x was no where near as hacked as my 3.x is

Thanks though
                My Website

Comment

• borbole
                  • Feb 2010

Ah ok then. I was under the impression that it didn''t do that. Good luck with it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...