OMG - I've just seen how my site is displated in IE7 !!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • is_it_me
    • Apr 2008

[CMS] OMG - I've just seen how my site is displated in IE7 !!!!

I knew there were problems with IE6, which I accept, but I can't believe what I am seeing here - look how the youtube video is displayed in the preview article on the home page - is this the same for everyone?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by is_it_me; Fri 19 Mar '10, 9:34am.

testing 1..2..3
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

Yes, we are getting complaints from members who use IE 7 and 8, and we do not have any tips for them except to use Firefox or Chrome.

There was a suggestion to create a second forum style with no customizing and see if that clears it up. If it does, then it may be in whatever customizing was done in the first forum style.

Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style. If the problem goes away on the default style then you know it's a style problem at which point you need to systematically revert your custom templates to isolate the problem.

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• is_it_me
      • Apr 2008

I am using the VB default style, and I've disabled all plugins and still the CMS is not displaying correctly in IE7.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• is_it_me
        • Apr 2008

Right I've followed the advice and created a brand new default style, disabled every single installed product and I am still having the same problem on the home page of youtube clips breaking out of one column and across two columns OR breaking out of one column and under the sidebar in IE7 - frankly it's a total bloody mess.

The odd thing is the video page doesn't have the same problem.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Even at 1600x1200 and full screen you've got ALOT going on in a very small ammount of room. You may want to consider not showing so much on your frontpage. I'm not even really sure what your site is about when I first landed. All I am seeing is tons of articles, posts, and threads.

Comment

• sadikb
            • Mar 2009

My CMS page displays fine.. maybe it's that i am on 4.0.1 or maybe it's the several template changes i have made. The problem is that after upgrading i ran into so many issues that i was fixing issues randomly and didn't keep a log of what changes i made where. Funny thing is the youtube videos resize just fine in IE as soon as I click on IE Developer Toolbar (see screenshot). I suggest you guys get IE Developer Toolbar and try and figure out what's causing the issue.

BTW your navbar looks horrible in IE7.
            Attached Files
            Owner: Oracle Forums - General Discussion Forums.

Comment

• Loco.M
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.5.x

looks pretty fugly to me, sorry.
              the "what's new" tab isn't even lined up right, and there is no reason for it to be pushed down.
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• sadikb
                • Mar 2009

And I agree with zachery, you may want to consider single article layout in your middle column. You should focus on usability and not overwhelm the user.

Comment

• sadikb
                  • Mar 2009

[Offtopic]
                  Brandon your general forums idea is cool. It's something I had thought about too a couple of years ago, didn't really get the stamina to go ahead... And btw you may want to fix the display of your sub forum categories on the forumhome page.
                  [/offtopic]

Comment

• is_it_me
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zachery
                    Even at 1600x1200 and full screen you've got ALOT going on in a very small ammount of room. You may want to consider not showing so much on your frontpage. I'm not even really sure what your site is about when I first landed. All I am seeing is tons of articles, posts, and threads.
                    It's a 'what's on' site and luckily 99%+ of visitors know that as either they are returning or following a search for what's on locally - knowing that you can see the 'tons of articles' are actually highlighted events in date order and are very easy to follow as you scroll down. The sidebar widget is pulling in 'selected upcoming events' for the next few days from the 9 different event calendars and again simple enough, but I am considering moving that to the left under the 'Sections' widget so the layout would be - Sidebar + 100 (2 columns) instead of 25/75 (2 columns) + sidebar.

But, anyway, that's off topic - what I was looking for is help concerning why the CMS content is not displaying correctly in IE7, when my understanding was that vb4 supported IE7.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• is_it_me
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by sadikb
                      Funny thing is the youtube videos resize just fine in IE as soon as I click on IE Developer Toolbar (see screenshot). I suggest you guys get IE Developer Toolbar and try and figure out what's causing the issue.
                      So, the youtube videos are displayed as a mess until you click on this IE Developer Toolbar?

So, if all VB templates have been reverted/all installed products disabled and I am still getting the problem is it fair to assume it's a VB problem?

I am not a coder, so I doubt I would be able to figure out what's causing the issue using this IE Developer Toolbar, nor would I expect to have to if the problem is with VB, that would be like buying a dog and barking yourself.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• is_it_me
                        • Apr 2008

+
                        Originally posted by Loco.M
                        looks pretty fugly to me, sorry.
                        the "what's new" tab isn't even lined up right, and there is no reason for it to be pushed down.
                        Yes, agreed, but it's the best add-on* I've found for the purpose in view of the fact that VB seems to have made it so difficult for a non-coder/designer to add tabs easily - unless anyone has any other suggestions?

It works well in everything apart from IE7 where at least it's usuable for the few visitors still using IE7, whereas the CMS content is unreadable.

* The add-on is - Evisystems Tab menu found on vb.org

And I agree with zachery, you may want to consider single article layout in your middle column. You should focus on usability and not overwhelm the user.
                        Yeah, see above, I was already considering reducing the overall layout to three columns (sidebar + main content in 2 columns).

testing 1..2..3

Comment

• David Copeland
                          • May 2000

I am using the latest version of Chrome by Google, and when I go to http://doctorwatson.info/content/ , I get the following message:

"The Doctor is regenerating – welcome to the new and still improving Doctor WatsOn site
                          NB – if this site is not displaying correctly please CLICK HERE"

And no, I would not feel comfortable as a visitor to a site to click on a link that may or may not change my browser settings. The message seems ominous.

DAVID COPELAND
                          Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
                          Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• sadikb
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by is_it_me
                            Yes, agreed, but it's the best add-on* I've found for the purpose in view of the fact that VB seems to have made it so difficult for a non-coder/designer to add tabs easily - unless anyone has any other suggestions?
                            Yes, use this MOD: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228507

I use it and it works perfectly with IE7.

Comment

• is_it_me
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by David Copeland
                              I am using the latest version of Chrome by Google, and when I go to http://doctorwatson.info/content/ , I get the following message:

"The Doctor is regenerating – welcome to the new and still improving Doctor WatsOn site
                              NB – if this site is not displaying correctly please CLICK HERE"

And no, I would not feel comfortable as a visitor to a site to click on a link that may or may not change my browser settings. The message seems ominous.
                              I put that up in blind panic yesterday when I realised what a mess the CMS is in IE7, but I take your point and have changed 'CLICK HERE' to 'READ HERE'.

testing 1..2..3

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...