Will Internet Explorer 7/8 users have to make changes in Compatibility View Settings?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Copeland
    • May 2000

Originally posted by Zachery
    By default your site should be shown in IE8 as IE8 mode and not IE7 mode. They should not enable compatablity mode on your site. They can make sure they're not running in compatablity mode by pressing f12 and checking that Browser mode is IE8 and Document Mode is IE8.
    Is this something our hosting company knows about? Or something I can do?

DAVID COPELAND
    Licensed VB Holder Since 2000
    Celebrating 22 Years with VB

Comment

• David Copeland
      • May 2000

By default your site should be shown in IE8 as IE8 mode and not IE7 mode. They should not enable compatablity mode on your site. They can make sure they're not running in compatablity mode by pressing f12 and checking that Browser mode is IE8 and Document Mode is IE8.
      Is this something our hosting company knows about? Or something I can do?
      Well, I checked with my hosting company and they said that the default view is not an adjustment made by them. They said this is an adjustment to be made in VBulletin.

So where can I check for the default browser setting within VBulletin?

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• djbaxter
        • Aug 2006

Thye default in vBulletin 4.x is regular mode, NOT compatibility mode. If your members are using Compatibility mode, that's something they need to change in their browser settings.
        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• David Copeland
          • May 2000

Originally posted by djbaxter
          Thye default in vBulletin 4.x is regular mode, NOT compatibility mode. If your members are using Compatibility mode, that's something they need to change in their browser settings.
          That's a big help. I can see in my own IE under the Page option where I can turn on or off the Compatibility mode.

1) When someone gets IE or upgrades to IE, is the Compatibility mode OFF by default? Or is it ON by default?

2) Where did you see the VB reference on this forum where VB4 requires regular mode and not Compatibility mode?

Thanks,

David

DAVID COPELAND

Comment

• Gunboards.com
            • Jan 2010

We have hundreds of members who have this issue. They can not start new posts but can reply to others already posted. Others can not edit their posts. We have been addressing the issue by requesting they upgrade to IE8 or a current version of Firefox but it is not solving all issues. I don't think that the fix is to have all your members play with browser settings and still have issue when it should be a VB campatability issue to be workable with IE and others. I personally have this issue on one computer with IE7 and find the banners for ads float all over the top of the page. The campatability view issue solves many of the users problems if they upgrade to IE8 but others do not have that option as mentioned such as work or locked PC's that have IE7. Those we loose or they are lost from the forum as they cant post which is not acceptable.

So if I understand this.

1. The default setting for the view of the forum should be IE8 mode. This is found in our admin functions? If so where please so I can check it.
            2. Those that adjusted the view with the IE8 option of Campatability View will then have to switch back to none?
            3. With the forum default to IE8 mode will this automatically adjust the individual users who had previously turned it on?
            4. Will IE7 users now be able to start a new posting or will the posting text box now be centered and not 50" off to the right where you have to scroll to find it?

I would appreciate any help that is open to this as we have fought with this problem for nearly 3 months now and this is the first we have heard of any issue or option to check the forum default setting option.

Also do we have any options on a search engine change or upgrade? Can goggle search be enabled on the site? The search engine is very poor on the Vb4.02 and is there an option to replace it with a more usable engine that still falls into the permissible structure change?
            Last edited by Gunboards.com; Mon 12 Apr '10, 5:05pm.

Comment

• Pamela
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by gunboards.com
              we have hundreds of members who have this issue. They can not start new posts but can reply to others already posted. Others can bot edit their posts. We have been addressing the issue by requesting they upgrade to ie8 or a current version of firefox but it is not solving all issues. i don't think that the fix is to have all your members play with browser settings and still have issue when it should be a vb campatability issue to be workable with ie and others. i personally have this issue on one computer with ie7 and find the banners for ads float all over the top of the page. The campatability view issue solves many of the users problems if they upgrade to ie8 but others do not have that option as mentioned such as work or locked pc's that have ie7. Those we loose or they are lost from the forum as they cant post which is not acceptable.

So if i understand this.

1. The default setting for the view of the forum should be ie8 mode. This is found in our admin functions? If so where please so i can check it.
              2. Those that adjusted the view with the ie8 option of campatability view will then have to switch back to none?
              3. With the forum default to ie8 mode will this automatically adjust the individual users who had previously turned it on?
              4. Will ie7 users now be able to start a new posting or will the posting text box now be centered and not 50" off to the right where you have to scroll to find it?

I would appreciate any help that is open to this as we have fought with this problem for nearly 3 months now and this is the first we have heard of any issue or option to check the forum default setting option.
              +1

Exactly!!!!

I'm losing members because of this!

Comment

• djbaxter
                • Aug 2006

I just lost a long detailed post detailing why Compatibility Mode was introduced by Microsoft, why vBulletin added the option in later 3.x versions, and why it is no longer necessary, advisable, or offered as an option in the Admin CP. Then, in trying different browser settings so I could add to the post, I lost it all.

1. The short version: In 3.x, it was a server side option, turned ON or OFF in your Admin CP. This is no longer the case.

2. When I turned it on in my IE8 browser (and lost my post) a couple of minutes ago, I can see that Compatibility Mode seriously messes with the layour of vBulletin 4.03 (try it yourself - can you say "Hidjus"?).

4. If you think or know that some of your members are using Compatibility Mode, post instructions for turning it OFF. Only they can do it because this is now a user side browser setting:
                • Click on Tools in the top IE8 menu.
                • If Compatibility View is checked, uncheck it.
                • Click on Tools | Compatibility Settings.
                • If Display all websites in Compatibility View is checked, uncheck it.
                • If your domain (i.e., yourforum.com) is listed in the text box, delete it.
                Last edited by djbaxter; Mon 12 Apr '10, 7:22am.

Comment

• Gunboards.com
                  • Jan 2010

F12 is the print button and shows nothing to me?

Comment

• djbaxter
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Gunboards.com
                    F12 is the print button and shows nothing to me?
                    Zachery must still be using Windows Me with IE5. Either that, or he's assigned customizations to his keyboard mapping.

But actually, what he says works if you press the F-Lock key first.

Also see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1963436 above.

Comment

• BoyStav
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by djbaxter
                      My customers use IE 7 and has the same problems like me in Compatiability mode, disable compatiability mode is not a solution for this issues!
                      vBulletin - по русски

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...