Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mulla
    • Sep 2008

[Forum] Post formatting is broken in 4.0.1

These screenshots are from vbulletin.com so please don't tell me I broke anything.

Something to do with the browser width.

In Firefox, Safari and Chrome this is horrible and I am not going to tell my users they should always maximize their browser window! I am using a mac but a lot of other users complained about this too.

How come your QA didn't catch this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-21 at 03.12.06.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	3714395Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-21 at 02.49.30.png
Views:	2
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	3714396Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-21 at 03.11.55.png
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	3714397Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-21 at 03.12.13.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	3714398
  • vivamexico55
    • Mar 2005

It's a bug, there's a fix somewhere in this support forum, or in Trevor Hannant's post history probably.

Comment

• oddmud
      • Oct 2009

I don't have that issue on this site.
      Jason Craig – Partner
      Wet Coast Sports LTD
      Fishing Reviews TVBC Fishing ReportsFly Fish BCFly Tying Bug

Comment

• mulla
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vivamexico55
        It's a bug, there's a fix somewhere in this support forum, or in Trevor Hannant's post history probably.
        I have looked everywhere and can't find the fix and my support ticket is ignored.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
          vBulletin Support
          • Aug 2002
          • 5.7.X

You should find this code in the postbit or postbit_legacy template depending on which you use:

Code:
          <div class="content<vb:if condition="$post['isfirstshown'] || $post['islastshown']"> has_ad</vb:if>">
          and change it to this:

Code:
          <div class="content<!--<vb:if condition="$post['isfirstshown'] || $post['islastshown']"> has_ad</vb:if>-->">
          If you subsequently want to place an ad in there, simply uncomment that section out.
          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

Originally posted by mulla
            I have looked everywhere and can't find the fix and my support ticket is ignored.
            What's the ticket number?
            Vote for:

Comment

• mulla
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
              You should find this code in the postbit or postbit_legacy template depending on which you use:

Code:
              <div class="content<vb:if condition="$post['isfirstshown'] || $post['islastshown']"> has_ad</vb:if>">
              and change it to this:

Code:
              <div class="content<!--<vb:if condition="$post['isfirstshown'] || $post['islastshown']"> has_ad</vb:if>-->">
              If you subsequently want to place an ad in there, simply uncomment that section out.
              This is an inadequate solution. Ads are displayed only for lurkers and inactive users on my forums but this bugs appears even when there is no ads. Also on vbulletin.com forums, the same problem appears.

Comment

• mulla
                • Sep 2008

Code:
                and change it to this:

Code:
                Your fix doesn't work.. rebuilt styles, rebuilt post cache... still looks crap... this is how vbulletin.com looks in chrome right now:
                Attached Files

Comment

• mulla
                  • Sep 2008

I suspect it has something to do with the auto resizing.. similar to the resize of pics on the front page.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Very strange. My site looks OK in Chrome with that fix:

Name:	has_ad-chrome.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	3677774

And this site:

Name:	vbcom_chrome.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	3677775
                    Vote for:

Comment

• mulla
                      • Sep 2008

The problem is proportional to your window width as you can see the screenshots in the OP. I am on a Mac but other users have the same problem under Windows.

What did you change in 4.0.1 to make the images on the front page (http://www.kugutsumen.com) shrink dynamically with the browser windows size? I suspect this is the culprit.

Comment

• oddmud
                        • Oct 2009

Your fix doesn't work.. rebuilt styles, rebuilt post cache... still looks crap... this is how vbulletin.com looks in chrome right now:
                        BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH you're not supposed cut and paste the [Code] tags! HAHAHAHAHAH
                        Jason Craig – Partner
                        Wet Coast Sports LTD

Comment

• oddmud
                          • Oct 2009

The problem is proportional to your window width as you can see the screenshots in the OP. I am on a Mac but other users have the same problem under Windows.

What did you change in 4.0.1 to make the images on the front page (http://www.kugutsumen.com) shrink dynamically with the browser windows size? I suspect this is the culprit.
                          Ok, well first of all no one really used 800x600 that often anymore. Even on this site is shrinks it down.

Apply the fix as stated (without the [code] tags lol). And it will repair the error until the next release comes out. Be patient, your "ads" can resume on all unregistered lurkers at that time.
                          Jason Craig – Partner
                          Wet Coast Sports LTD

Comment

• mulla
                            • Sep 2008

Very strange. My site looks OK in Chrome with that fix:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42012[/ATTACH]

And this site:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42013[/ATTACH]
                            Originally posted by oddmud
                            BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH you're not supposed cut and paste the [Code] tags! HAHAHAHAHAH
                            Lame troll.

Originally posted by oddmud
                            Ok, well first of all no one really used 800x600 that often anymore. Even on this site is shrinks it down.

Apply the fix as stated (without the [code] tags lol). And it will repair the error until the next release comes out. Be patient, your "ads" can resume on all unregistered lurkers at that time.
                            Look at the snapshot of your post in this very same thread! My browser width is higher than Trevor's screenshot. Something is wrong with the postcontent.

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-21 at 22.18.12.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	3677777

The postcontent size and the image attachments on the CMS front page are now (since 4.0.1) proportional to the browser's width so I suspect that the problem is related to this change.

A lot of my users have been affected after the switch to 4.0.1. The problem appears with the latest versions of Firefox, Safari and Chrome and only on vbulletin forums running 4.0.1.

This is a serious and annoying bug.

Comment

• oddmud
                              • Oct 2009

Look at the snapshot of your post in this very same thread! My browser width is higher than Trevor's screenshot. Something is wrong with the postcontent.

[
                              We understand that, and Trevor gave you a FIX for it. Also stop using 800x600 resolution, get with the times.
                              Jason Craig – Partner
                              Wet Coast Sports LTD

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...