Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mykes
    • Feb 2005

[Suite] How I installed vb4 suite, and comments about how well it works

FWIW, I did an upgrade of my site on a staging server and it seems to be working very well. The steps I followed were not those in the upgrade or installation instructions in the readme file. Here's what I did:

1) mysqldump my database and save it in a secure place. Just in case I need to revert.
    2) tar + gzip up my htdocs directory (all the vb3 .php files, images, etc.) and save it in a secure place.
    3) unpacked htdocs.tgz on my staging server
    4) mysql import the database on the staging server
    These steps on my staging server:
    5) Upgrade to 3.8.4 following the upgrade instructions.
    6) renamed my htdocs directory to 3htdocs/
    7) copied the upload/ folder from vb4 and renamed it to htdocs
    8) copied the includes/config.php from 3htdocs to new htdocs (vb4)
    9) Ran the upgrade.php script from the browser

In admincp, set up the URL and such to my staging server's URL. Set up mod_rewrite URLs, add .htaccess file.

Rebuild all the statics, cache, etc., in admincp.

Guys, it all seems to work pretty good to me. The CMS is rough, but it's somewhat better than I expected for a 1.0 (the CMS is 1.0!) CMS. Everything else sure seems to work just fine.

My site has 22,480 members, 149,513 threads, 2,205,362 posts. It's an all-sports site. I just did a search for "kobe" and the search results came up within 1 second.

This forum, vbulletin.com, doesn't work as well as the one on my staging server. I mean, this site (vbulletin.com) has bugs that I am not seeing on my staging server.

I click on "comments" link here, or on other peoples' sites (they post links in threads here) and get all kinds of errors. On my staging server, browser scrolls to the comments. For a CMS article with no comments, it scrolls to the quick reply style editor (to add a comment).

On this site, I click on the button inside a quote to take me to the post that was quoted, and it reloads the thread starting at page 1. On my staging server, it reloads the thread and jumps to the post, on the proper page.

Maybe there's something to completely wiping out all the .php files and using nothing but the .php files in the 4.0 .zip file that makes it work. The upgrade process may be what's messed up.

A note about the steps above: I ran upgrade.php because I knew vbulletin needed to alter my existing tables, where install.php would be used to create new ones.

Hope this helps.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...