X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TechGuy
    • Mar 2001
    • 3.7.x

We ended up solving the problem on our site by reducing the number of cookies we're using. Between vBulletin, VBSEO, Google Analytics, advertisers, etc we were generating more cookies for our domain than most browsers would allow, thus causing random cookie drops. The only continuing problem is that the vbulletin_inlinepm cookie (which doesn't follow the cookie prefix?) can easily get too big that IE8 won't accept it, thus dropping cookies. For now, we're simply nulling that cookie.

It'd also be nice if some of the vBulletin cookies could be combined into one (using subcookies)... I'm not sure why we need a separate cookie for userid, userpassword, styleid, sessionhash, lastvisit, lastactivity, etc. (I suspect some cookie separation may be required to prevent cross site issues.)

Hopefully vBulletin and others find this helpful.

Comment

• Gunsite
      • Nov 2009
      • 3.8.x

I'm running 3.8.4 PL2 and my users are being logged out after 15 minutes or so, not all just some. We're cleared cookies, ticked remember me done all that, but nothing helps, any ideas? I'm running vBSEO's sitemap, and a few mods.

Comment

• jimjam
        • Jul 2007
        • 3.6.x

Hi Gunsite, check in your session timeout maybe it is set to kick out after 15min. VBOtions>Cookies and HTTP Header Options> session timeout
        If yours is set to 900 seconds that is your problem, I have mine set to 2000, it makes the forum look busier too :-)

Comment

• ChopSuey
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jimjam
          Hi Gunsite, check in your session timeout maybe it is set to kick out after 15min. VBOtions>Cookies and HTTP Header Options> session timeout
          If yours is set to 900 seconds that is your problem, I have mine set to 2000, it makes the forum look busier too :-)
          Sweet idea lol.....just did that. Thanks.

Comment

• Gunsite
            • Nov 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by jimjam
            Thanks jimjam, I did that initially, but it doesn't really solve the problem, it just masks it.

I recently upgraded to VB and have been apologising to my members daily ever since.

I find it rather amazing that certain things just don't work correctly, like the password reset screen opens up blank, or users don't get the password reset email, although they get all others??? VB just fobs me off, and I get the usual, 'it's a server issue'. I'm not quite sure how the sending of emails from a single function within VB and that multiple members complaining about getting logged out, even after clearing cookies is my problem.

And lets not mention VB 4, how many upgrades already . . . after gold?

Sorry, a bit of topic.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

People having cookie issues, generally if only some of your users are having it, it means its not actually an issue. It may have been caused by the upgrade changing salts and invalidating old cookies.

Comment

• barnest2
                • Feb 2004

I've also been having this issue with numerous users (at least two dozen) ever since I upgraded to PL2. I've also changed my timeout from 900 to 9000 but still have users complaining. I've asked them to delete their cookies, clear cache, reboot, etc. but the "Remember Me" function still isn't working. I'm at a loss about what to do at this point.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

Are you having issues with this?
                  Have you cleared your cookies and restarted your browser/computer?
                  What are your cookie settings?
                  What is your cookie prefix?
                  What is the url to your forum?
                  Does it work/not work in other browsers?
                  What browser are you using?

I need that information to begin to troubleshoot any related to cookies. Please either start your own threads or tickets and refrence this post.

Comment

• diecastfast
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 3.6.x

I started having this problem with 3.8 and it followed me to vB 4. In fact, mine is even worse: When you log in, you're taken to FORUMHOME where it shows the login section blank again, but if you click on the logo and reload the page, you're logged in. This is on both:

http://www.myls1.com (vB 4)
                    http://www.awdforums.com (vB 3.8.x)

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Are you having issues with this?
                      Have you cleared your cookies and restarted your browser/computer?
                      What are your cookie settings?
                      What is your cookie prefix?
                      What is the url to your forum?
                      Does it work/not work in other browsers?
                      What browser are you using?

I need that information to begin to troubleshoot any related to cookies. Please either start your own threads or tickets and refrence this post.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...