Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steel9561
    • Feb 2008

Issue with new server... PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone, recently I installed vbulletin forum 3.8 on a new shared web server with my hosting company. My forum has always worked just fine but on this NEW server is not working properly.

When I try to load my forum index page or main page, I then check my cgi error log and see the following errors:

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/global.php(834) : eval()'d code on line 58
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(269) : eval()'d code on line 11
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(395) : eval()'d code on line 11
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(395) : eval()'d code on line 5
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(395) : eval()'d code on line 5
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(395) : eval()'d code on line 7
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(395) : eval()'d code on line 7
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/includes/functions_forumlist.php(269) : eval()'d code on line 11
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(596) : eval()'d code on line 12
    PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(597) : eval()'d code on line 50

If anyone can help me, please help me. I can't figure out how to fix these issues.

Thanks in advance!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That error is from a modification.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steel9561
      • Feb 2008

Results from file inspection...

Hi there, after running the file inspection utility, the following seem to be problems:

accessmask.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin admincalendar.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin admininfraction.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin adminlog.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin adminpermissions.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin adminreputation.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin album.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin announcement.php File does not contain expected contents attachment.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin attachmentpermission.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin avatar.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin backup.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin banning.php File not found bbcode.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin bookmarksite.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin calendarpermission.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin cronadmin.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin cronlog.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin css.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin deletedposts.php File not found diagnostic.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin email.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin faq.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin forum.php File does not contain expected contents forumpermission.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin global.php File does not contain expected contents help.php File does not contain expected contents image.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin index.php File does not contain expected contents language.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin misc.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin moderate.php File not found moderator.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin modlog.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin newsproxy.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin notice.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin options.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin passwordcheck.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin phrase.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin plugin.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin prefix.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin profilefield.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin queries.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin ranks.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin repair.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin replacement.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin resources.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin rssposter.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin socialgroup_icon.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin socialgroups.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin stats.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin subscriptionpermission.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin subscriptions.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin template.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin textarea.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin thread.php File does not contain expected contents user.php File does not contain expected contents usergroup.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin usertitle.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin usertools.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin verify.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
      Any suggestions?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

What about the rest of the instructions?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steel9561
          • Feb 2008

The same problem still...

I followed all of your instructions, including adding:

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

on config.php right at the beginning of file after <?php

I also created new style (with no parent style) and assigned new style to all forums.

nothing seems to work, you can check what happens when trying to open my forum, all I can see is a blank page:

Choosing the right domain name can be overwhelming. Our personalized customer service helps you get a great domain.

Thanks so much for all help so far. Please help!

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Please see this for all the known causes of blank or 'white' pages:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steel9561
              • Feb 2008

Errors on page...

Hi there, thanks so much for all help so far. Well, I followed almost all steps outlined on the page you directed me to and one interesting step led me to find some errors. I added ini_set("display_errors", true); to config.php and now instead of a blank page, I see the following errors:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/global.php(834) : eval()'d code on line 58

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(596) : eval()'d code on line 12

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(597) : eval()'d code on line 50

Please advice.

Comment

• Steel9561
                • Feb 2008

Errors on page...

Hi there, thanks so much for all help so far. Well, I followed almost all steps outlined on the page you directed me to and one interesting step led me to find some errors. I added ini_set("display_errors", true); to config.php and now instead of a blank page, I see the following errors:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/global.php(834) : eval()'d code on line 58

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(596) : eval()'d code on line 12

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '=' in /hermes/bosweb10/web069/b690/privacyserver/public_html/community/index.php(597) : eval()'d code on line 50

Please advice.

P.s. I removed the line of code, so you should see a blank page right now if you try looking at it...

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Those errors are from a modification - either an add-on or a custom template. Which version of vB are you running?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steel9561
                    • Feb 2008

Version of Vbulletin...

The version of vbulletin is:

Admin Control Panel (vBulletin 3.8.1 Patch Level 1)

I used to have version 3.74 if I recall well, then I uploaded updated files of vbulletin 3.8.1 replacing all existing files and then I run the upgrade process. My database is always the same database I used with version 3.74.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

global.php line 834:
                      eval('$footer = "' . fetch_template('footer') . '";');

This error is due to you customized footer template. Honestly I don't see how you can get that erorr if you created a new style with no modifications. Try again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steel9561
                        • Feb 2008

Footer...

Well, I had set the forums to new style but then set it back to old one, but now I set it to new style and the errors are get are the following (I don't nkow if they are the same?):

Please advice.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

The first error is still from a modified footer template. The other two are from modified navbar and FORUMHOME templates. You cannot get that error if you follow ALL the instructions in post #2.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Steel9561
                            • Feb 2008

I followed them all...

Well, I did follow all steps on post #2. the only thing is that you said that I should not get files that say:

'File does not contain expected contents':

and if you check the results I posted here on the forum, you will notice that few of the files DO say that. Do you think that's causing the issue?

Please let me know,

Luis Lazo

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

No, I believe it's more likely custom templates as I have mentioned a couple of times before. One way or another this is due to modifications though.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...