Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carsafety
    • Jan 2003

Posts missing in Threaded/Hybrid mode

Before I start reverting everything to defaults and shutting down plugins for an extended time, I would like to see if anyone else has ideas.

We have noticed that sometimes a thread is missing the newest posts when viewed in hybrid or threaded mode. The posts do exist in linear mode and also show up in the new posts listing, but an "Invalid Post specified" error sometimes results if you click them from the list while your display is set to hybrid or threaded.

I contacted support and did everything suggested other than plugin removal-

1) Rebuilt thread and forum counters

2) Uploaded all the most recent files

3) Verified no 'file does not contain expected contents' in suspect file versions check

4) Created a default style with no parent and reproduced the problem

5) Set thread depth down to 5 then back up to 15

Here is the current example of a thread that had 35 posts that appear in linear mode. In hybrid or threaded mode, only the 22 oldest appear in the tree and none since yesterday at 12:19 pm.

My forum is not modified much at all, the template changes in edited styles are also pretty minimal. The only plugins/hacks are the official Vbulletin blog and the Addonchat utility.

I contacted my provider, thinking this could be related to the datastore cache they setup for me. Beyond that, I'd like any input before I contact support again and turn off plugins while it is investigated.
    Last edited by Carsafety; Thu 6 Mar '08, 10:27am.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Carsafety
    ...but an error sometimes results if you click them from the list while your display is set to hybrid or threaded.
    What is the error? Can you post it here?

Comment

• Carsafety
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      What is the error? Can you post it here?
      Sorry I edited my original post before I saw your reply. In threaded mode, it usually just reverts to the top of the thread and doesn't show the post. In hybrid mode, it gives:

"Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify administrator"

I can also reproduce it as a guest without a login by switching to hybrid mode then clicking on a link to one of the suspect posts like this one:

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

I suspect there is a customization that is causing this. You will need to systematically troubleshoot the problem by temporarily disabling your customizations. With the exception of uploading the original files, this is fairly painless. First try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style.

If you still have the problem then try disabling your plugins:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Plugin/Hook System

Also run a file check to look for customized files:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

_________

If the problem goes away after one of these steps then you can begin to isolate it. For example, if it's a style problem then duplicate your style and systematically revert your custom templates until you isolate the problem.

Comment

• Carsafety
          • Jan 2003

I did try the default style recommendation, creating a brand new parent style with no changes. In fact it is still created as the last style option available for selection. The problem persists using that style.

Suspect file versions also returned no errors, though it did list the files associated with the Addonchat plugin.

Is simply disabling the plugin system enough for me to test the problem, or do I have to disable it, send in a support ticket and wait for support to become involved?

Also, when I reenable the system, will everything be back to how it was or will it require a starting from scratch?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm not real proficient at making changes or addons, which is why there are so few on my forum and why I was reluctant to disable the plugins until other possible causes were eliminated. Is it unlikely the data cache could cause such an issue?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Disabling the plugins is temporary. You disable them, then go test the threads to see if that fixed the problem. If the problem goes away when you disable your plugins then you can systematically disable individual products until you isolate the problem.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

Incidentally, I am unable to reproduce the problem in that thread you linked. Is there a specific post I have to click on?

Comment

• Carsafety
                • Jan 2003

Disabling shouldn't be a problem. My question is, will everything with the blog and addonchat plugins be back to normal when I enable it again after the test?

Also, your post seemed to indicate that I should disable it within the admin cp. The email I received last week mentioned an edit to the config.php file. Are there two methods? Is one preferable?

Comment

• Carsafety
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                  Incidentally, I am unable to reproduce the problem in that thread you linked. Is there a specific post I have to click on?
                  I can reproduce it on my admin account as can at least one moderator. I also did it as an unregistered guest. I first set my display mode to hybrid. Then I clicked on the post I linked in my first reply or any of the suspect posts that only appear in linear mode. Basically, if you view it in linear mode, I cannot "see" or link to any of the posts made after #22 when I switch to hybrid or threaded. This is a direct link to the most recent post in the thread. It returns that error message if I click this link while in hybrid display mode, but works fine if set to linear:

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                    • Dec 2000
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Carsafety
                    Disabling shouldn't be a problem. My question is, will everything with the blog and addonchat plugins be back to normal when I enable it again after the test?

Also, your post seemed to indicate that I should disable it within the admin cp. The email I received last week mentioned an edit to the config.php file. Are there two methods? Is one preferable?
                    Yes it will go back to normal after you enable them again.

Both methods for disabling plugins will work. The config.php method is only needed if you can't access the Admin CP.

Comment

• Carsafety
                      • Jan 2003

Okay, so the next steps should be:

1) In the Manage Products area of the Plugins section, set both addons to "disable"

2) Run the suspect file versions check again

3) set to the new default style parent style

4) Try to reproduce the problem again

Does that sound right? Any additions or changes in order?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

That is correct. Just disable all customizations to see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

• Carsafety
                          • Jan 2003

Ok they are successfully disabled at the moment, trying the other steps now.

Comment

• Carsafety
                            • Jan 2003

The only results in suspect files are "File not recognized as part of Vbulletin". Most are addonchat plugin files. The google verification and robots text file are mine. I believe the testmail and datastore are the files setup by my provider. No idea about pp.php.

chat.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_auth.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_close.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_addbuddy.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_email.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_findposts.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_ignore.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_pm.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_func_profile.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_global.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            chat_online.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            google2e607cd471b6a37d.html File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            pp.php File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            robots.txt File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            testmail.html File not recognized as part of vBulletin
                            testmail.php
                            datastore_cache.php
                            chat_who.php

Comment

• Carsafety
                              • Jan 2003

Same problem exactly as before, even when using the new default parent style. I will leave the plugins disabled for a short time to see if other moderators can reproduce it still, also.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...