X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomsands33
    • Jul 2007

In need of a host

Hi,

I'm looking for hosts which offer a free vbulletin license with it? I've seen a couple but I'm wanting a fairly cheap one [$10-$20] If anyone knows of one then please provide a link here. It would be very much appreciated!
  • encryption
    • May 2005

a "free" vbulletin license ? You know that's illegal if the host if offering it right ?
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• joeychgo
      • Mar 2004

None that I know of. I dont know if its illegal by vB's rules, but the host would have to buy the license. That isnt exactly profitable when your paying $10 a month.
      Building my Automotive Forum Network...
      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• tomsands33
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by joeychgo
        None that I know of. I dont know if its illegal by vB's rules, but the host would have to buy the license. That isnt exactly profitable when your paying $10 a month.
        yeah, thats what they do! here is an example: http://glowhost.com/hosting/shared/advanced/index.php

just look at the Advance 5 Star offer. Thats what I'm looking for but a bit cheaper. This may be the best chance I have, I just though there would be other ones

Comment

• Comtech
          Banned
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.6.x

Glowhost is the only hosting company that I am aware of, which gives you a vBulletin license if you prepay for a year to their most expensive plan.

I would be very cautious when dealing with any hosting company offering such a deal. The license may not be in your name, you may never have access to the license and at the end of your year of hosting - you may lose that license.

You are better off buying a license (owned or leased) and go with a good host. Glowhost.com wouldn't be what I consider a good host (been there, done that as a trial)

Buy the software and get a decent shared host. vBulletin is worth the price and a decent host will be worth the extra price (compared to overselling hosts)

Originally posted by tomsands33
          yeah, thats what they do! here is an example: http://glowhost.com/hosting/shared/advanced/index.php

just look at the Advance 5 Star offer. Thats what I'm looking for but a bit cheaper. This may be the best chance I have, I just though there would be other ones

Comment

• myusername
            • Jan 2005

Greetings-

Originally posted by Discussions
            Glowhost is the only hosting company that I am aware of, which gives you a vBulletin license if you prepay for a year to their most expensive plan.
            That is not completely accurate. We offer it on a couple plans, paid annually. Considering vBulletin runs about $200 or more for the license and installation runs $135 for a grand total of $335+ for the software and installation, its a very good deal if you look at the numbers.

We are basically paying you to host with us for the first 12 months. The hosting is better than free if you look at it in this regard. To top that off, if you do not like us for any reason, simply change hosts!!!

We don't hold the license hostage and I can't recall a legitimate customer who ever changed hosts on this package, with the exception of one person....We used to give the license away when you paid for one month of hosting IF you agreed to pay monthly for 1 full year. This offer ultimately was abused, and was re-launched on annual pre-pay hosting packages..

I would be very cautious when dealing with any hosting company offering such a deal. The license may not be in your name, you may never have access to the license and at the end of your year of hosting - you may lose that license.
            I think that's a very good idea and if anyone finds someone who is doing it the way you describe that they are reported to vBulletin for licensing violations. The license agreement specifically says it cannot be resold, leased, and there are other similar provisions.

We buy the license for the customer using the customer's registered email address and contact details so a fresh support account at Jelsoft is created for the customer. The software and support logins for Jelsoft go directly to the customer. The license is owned by the customer, not GlowHost, and they can take it anywhere should they not want hosting from our company.

You are better off buying a license (owned or leased) and go with a good host. Glowhost.com wouldn't be what I consider a good host (been there, done that as a trial)
            I am definitely sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, we do not offer trials and never have, so I guess I am confused by what you mean? You sure it was with GlowHost? We have had a few Joe-jobs/fly-by-night hosts that have used similar names to GlowHost.com (glowhost.co.uk, glohost.com are a couple that come to mind)

I also wonder why your profile is banned...

I must say I trust the legitimacy of your post and also have to say that based on the number of negative points against us in this post, for no apparent reasons, the legitimacy of your being a customer of GlowHost I question.

Can you tell me the domain it was that you had hosted with us? I definitely would be interested in finding out what the problem is because we do strive for the highest customer satisfaction and uptime. If there was some sort of problem on what you stated was a "trial" I deeply apologize. Please let me know how I can find your account to review the history. Perhaps we can make it up to you some how.

I think if the readers of this thread do their own research from trusted 3rd party rating sites that compile legitimate sample data (including uptime and support) they can make an informed decision for themselves.

realmetrics.com and findmyhosting.com are a couple UNBIASED sites that come to mind that actually have strict rating policies as compared to most of the other sites where you pay for a top review as a "best web host."

We are rated in numerous spots on the web and a simple google for our name should give anyone looking for more information, an accurate picture of what the great majority of customers past, and present have to say. We rank higher overall than any other host offering a similar vBulletin deal that I am aware of. Sorry but I have to point out some facts here!

Thanks for letting me clear any speculation up, and I hope that I have provided the information required for anyone that finds this thread to make an accurate, informed decision for your next host, even if its not GlowHost.

Have a great day.
            Last edited by myusername; Mon 2 Aug '10, 10:53pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...