X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MiakaShi
    • Nov 2004

Moderator deleted 300 threads, help

Hi,

Someone took over a moderator's account and mass-pruned an entire forum. I know I can't bring these back without restoring a backup. My question is, is there anyway to take only the threads that were deleted from that backup and add them to the existing one?

I live in Australia, but 99% of my board lives in the U.S. and there was an 8 hour time period where I was asleep and lots of new important posts were added, so I can't just use the old back up.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Janelle
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no way to do this that I'm aware of. The threads are useless without the posts to go along with them.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MiakaShi
      • Nov 2004

Well, I'd like to bring the posts within the threads too.

I read in another thread about restoring deleted posts that a person could restore a backup, and just redirect the board to use the backed up database. That seems like a good idea, except that I don't want to lose the new posts made between the backup and now. So I just wanted to know if I could restore a backup, but also keep the original database--or will restoring a backup overwrite all the original stuff?

I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, I don't really know that much about MySQL or how databases work or anything like that.

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

• Andreas
        • Feb 2004

Suggestion

[sql]
        insert ignore into livedb.thread select * from backupdb.thread;
        insert ignore into livedb.post select * from backupdb.post;
        [/sql]

Never thried that, but theoretically this should get the threads & posts from the backupdb into the livedb (which are not already present).

Afterwards, you would have to rebuild a lot of counters (forum information, thead information, reindex the forums ...)

Edit:
        Whoops! vb.com does not have [sql]. Pity

Comment

• ALcorn
          • Nov 2004
          • 3.7.x

I have a similar problem: an admin removed the entire thread in place of one post. I have the full dump of the forum before this disaster. Maybe someone can explain me what exactly should I do in order to restore only this thread ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...