Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drache
    • Aug 2004

How do i disable refferal links?

When someone make a post in the forum and include a link for example www.link.com and if people click on that link in that post. then website www.link.com will be able to see the traffic has been reffered from that post. Is it possible to disable that option? So when ppl click on links from your forum otherwises won't beable to see where they coming from.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I'm pretty sure this is a server issue but I don't know how to block this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Drache
      • Aug 2004

but changing the server should also block other pages on the website right? i think maybe it's possilbe to make a redirect script for the forum post only isn't it?

Comment

• Drache
        • Aug 2004

I've asked around and i heard if we edit the script in vbforum then it should be able to do the job. but could any staff team teach me how to make it hide referrer? I am sure alot other vb user want this feature too.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Sorry but if I knew how to do this I would have already posted it.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Drache
            • Aug 2004

I see. thanks how about is there a way to stop ppl making links directly? Like disallow them to type http://www.link.com in the forum. to make the forum show the link but can not click on it. they must copy and past to a new window.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

You can disable the URL BB coe:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> BB Code Settings -> Enabled Built-in BB Codes

Then uncheck:

Links ([URL], [THREAD], [POST])

It's a little messy since the URL tags will still show, but this accomplishes what you want without hacking.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Drache
                • Aug 2004

Thanks steve. It's bit messy but it does the job. Hope vb team could consider adding this feature in the next version of VB for helping better security. I really enjoy using vbulletin the best forum i've ever uesd so i hope to see it keep improving.

Comment

• Drache
                  • Aug 2004

I finally figured out how to do it so I am posting in here hope It can be some help for the vb support team and other members.

First you need to make a php script called redirect.php or whatever you name it doesn't really matter.

Open a Note Pad, Copy and past this code in it.
                  PHP Code:
                  <?
                    $url 
                  '';
                    while (list(
                  $var,$val) = each($_GET))

$url .= "&$var=$val";
                  $i strpos($url"&url=");
                  if (
                  $i !== false)

$url substr($url$i 5);
                    print(
                  "<html><head><meta http-equiv=refresh content='0;url=$url'></head><body>\n");
                    print(
                  "<table border=0 width=100% height=100%><tr><td><h2 align=center>Redirecting you to:<br />\n");
                    print(
                  "$url</h2></td></tr></table></body></html>\n");
                  ?>
                  Save as redirect.php and upload it to anywhere in ur server. http://www.your.com/redirect.php

Now open Open includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php.

Find:
                  PHP Code:
                  return "<a href=\"$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\">$text</a>"
                  Replace with
                  PHP Code:
                  return "<a href=\"http://www.your.com/redirect.php?url=$rightlink\" target=\"_blank\">$text</a>"
                  Your are done. Now your forum is more secure.

Note* You can also add style to it and theme it to fit your vbforum.

Maybe this could be added for next version vb for more security.

Hope this would be some help for people who is seeking the same resolution.

Comment

• Christophe_O
                    • Jul 2002

Thank you Drache for this interesting PhP code. I am referencing this discussion in another thread:

"Forum preventing members from linking."

Right now, I am trying to find out how to disable completely any active links in posts--but not in signatures...? Any suggestions would be welcome. If interested, please see the above thread.
                    sigpic Krystof
                    Starnectar Free Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...