X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TonyPBN
    • Apr 2001
    • 3.6.x

Update:

After talking some time with one of the users having the problem here are some things to look into.

User A is registered for over a year and has "remember username and password" set to yes and "browse boards with cookies" set to yes as well.

User B (coppa user who isnt verified an cant even post) has "remember username and password" set to yes and "browse board with cookies" set to no.

ANY help would be appreciated. We have 40K+ members and I'm having too many users report this as a problem. I would surely consider this a bulletin board crisis.
    Tony Rieker | Founder of PBNation.com - one of the LARGEST vBulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

You have more users reporting this problem? The only way I know of for this to happen is if your users are accessing your forums from behind the same proxy IP and they are using sessionhash instead of cookies to browse the forums.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TonyPBN
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.6.x

The problem stopped. *shrug*

The only things that were done to remedy the situation were to downgrade mmcache and empty the session table. Which one solved the problem I don't know.

There were probably half a dozen users that had reported this as a problem.
        Tony Rieker | Founder of PBNation.com - one of the LARGEST vBulletin forums on the net!

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

Most likely it was the session table. However once they start accessing again from behind the same proxy IP, the problem will reappear. To fix this you need to set these account to use cookies instead of sessionhash.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• TonyPBN
            • Apr 2001
            • 3.6.x

I am having this problem again. People who are logging in as other users are not behind the same proxy.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

I honestly do not know of any way this could happen. All I can suggest is to make absolutley sure these account are using cookies:

- Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
              - Browse the board with cookies

Generally setting these both to 'Yes' should fix the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• legolas
                • Jan 2003
                • 3.8.x

Not sure if this applies to anyone's situation, but PHP4.3.3RC1 was causing all sorts of undesired behavior. It's been implicated in user impersonation problems. It's also under suspicion for excrutiatingly slow load times for some people (it was relatively okay from my perspective, but still slow).

Comment

• kratai
                  • Sep 2002

Same problem happened to my forum also.

When member "A" visit forum it shows other username like "B" on index page but when click some link such as Control panel or PM, it gets back to normal. Funny thing is, they (member A and B) are not even in a same country. Both of them turn on "Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies) & Browse the board with cookies"

Any ideas?

Comment

• pieceofpie
                    • Feb 2003
                    • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    I honestly do not know of any way this could happen. All I can suggest is to make absolutley sure these account are using cookies:

- Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
                    - Browse the board with cookies

Generally setting these both to 'Yes' should fix the problem.
                    There was one more thing you told me to do the last time I asked this question in another thread...

Something abuot Forcing the page to re-load? or similar in control panel. But this will take longer time to load a page as it calls for new/fresh page from the server everytime the page is refreshed.

After selecting this mode/option, the cross over never happen to my forums anymore.

I think this is the one, Steve do you recall? --> Add No-cache headers
                    Selecting yes will cause vBulletin to add no-cache HTTP headers. These are very effective, so adding them may cause server load to increase due to increase page requests.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Yes, that can come into affect when two or more users are using the same ISP and the ISP caches web pages.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mtha
                        • Oct 2002
                        • 3.6.x

Yes, that can come into affect when two or more users are using the same ISP and the ISP caches web pages.
                        Is there any solution for this problem?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Only the ones I've already posted above.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• stryka
                            • Aug 2002

i found the thread... finally... the same thing is happening to me too...

i'll try the Header thing and see if it workz... cuz ppl are logged in as other users (myself included) all of a sudden...

Only the ones I've already posted above.

Comment

• Havard
                              • Jun 2003

I've just encountered the same problem (v.2.8.2): One user ("A") suddenly found out, after he had posted, that he was logged in as a different user ("B")...

User A is on a Danish ISP, user B on a Spanish - so it's not an ISP cache problem.

Both users had cookie browsing on, while user A had Auto-login off.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                                • Jul 2000

To my knowledge I do not see any way for this to happen. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...