Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thenoob2012
    • Aug 2012

VB5 Beta 19 Navigation and sub-forum problems

I am using Beta 19. Whenever I change the name of the navigation tab from Home to Forum, it changes back whenever I go to a different page. Is anyone else having this problem.

Also, no matter what I change my setting to my sub-forums are showing up on my forum home. See below image. *Update*---The sub forum issue was already listed here http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-1547. in the Alpha Phase of testing. I would love to see this get fixed soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	3725061
    Last edited by thenoob2012; Mon 19 Nov '12, 3:05pm.
  • consigliere
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

Having issues here also - When I enter the forum module each category shows in the "sub-forum module", but no forums below it.

I set my tree up as follows

Home page (will be used for CMS and articles etc).
    -
    Forum ( users navigate here to view forum content)
    --Category
    (headers only within the forum)
    ---
    sub forum (forum content)
    ----Individual threads as created by users.

To view content other than latest activities users go to forum, but it lists only categories in the sub forum module.

They then have to navigate to each category manually, where each sub forum is listed - again in the "sub forums module".

They then have to navigate manually to each sub forum... .so its a three click process.

What people want is to see the categories as a header only in the forum tab, with the sub forums listed below. They are then able to enter the sub-forum with one click, or use the latest activity module for new content.

Its causing havoc with my test users as they struggle to navigate. Basically they are slowly falling away to zero.......which shows the acceptance of the forum navigation is poor at this point.

And yes... I have tried changing the depth of forum listings but it does nothing.... possibly this is the issue discussed, and if so it nerds some urgency as its the root cause of forum users screaming and running from vB5 in my opinion.

I'm here for the long haul... I just hope I have my test community when I get there.... they're not happy.

- - - Updated - - -

OK - I've prodded and played all day and have my vB5 install looking more functional (in my eyes)

Basically I have:

• Created a forum tab in the nav bar using site builder.
    • Moved the "Latest Activity Module" from the Home Page to the newly created Forum Page
    • Deleted the "Latest Activity Module" from the Home page.
    • Edited the Forum module to show "Topics" first.
    • Edited the "Latest Activity" module to show "Topics First"
    • Explained to my users that "Latest Activity" is no different than "whats new"

I now have something which resembles a conventional forum layout. I need to get rid of the Sub Forums listing (which I've moved to the bottom) but users can now navigate and are very relieved.

Like anything its easy to criticize software - for me this was about understanding how vB5 ticks and using the new tools it has to get the outcome I want. Its usually the way.....and I believe the benefits in the software out-weigh the learning curve for me

Hoping this isnt too off-topic.. and I think definitely will be of help to those struggling to understand how to lay out their forums. Now I need to edit the Home page and get that functioning.
    Last edited by consigliere; Sat 1 Dec '12, 6:38pm.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
      vBulletin Support
      • Aug 2002
      • 5.7.X

Originally posted by thenoob2012
      The sub forum issue was already listed here http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-1547. in the Alpha Phase of testing. I would love to see this get fixed soon.
      It's marked as a Tier T1 so should be addressed soon.
      Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Actually the bug in question is marked "Future Release" so it won't be looked at until after gold. While this is unfortunate, the work required is more involved and requires more time to fix.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment