Getting Blank Screen on Install (vb5 on hostmonster.com)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tibobdenazareth
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

Getting Blank Screen on Install (vb5 on hostmonster.com)

I did everything, spoke with hostmonster to make sure the requirements are met etc... Uploaded all the files to the server in a folder, not at the root. When I run the script: http://www.mywebsite.com/thevbforum/...ll/install.php NOTHING HAPPENS. I get a blank screen!!!!

The database parameters work already for other products with similar minimum requirements and a hostmonster agent guided me through all the changes I needed to put in the config files.

I've just purchased vb5 thus just downloaded the files and I realize the /websitename/folder/core input is not included in the presentation (the first) config file. Only the /websitename.com/folder. I think the vb folks realized they can write a script to just add the "core" folder to whatever was input as /websitename.com/folder rather than asking to write it down again, eliminating potentials for input errors.

Still, I get a BLANK WHITE screen. This is soooo frustrating!

Can anybody help??? PLEASE????
  • napy8gen
    • Jul 2001
    • 6.X

Ask your hostmonster to run a permissions fix so that those files are 644 instead of 664 and 755 instead of 775

I put this in JIRA as bug it was rejected. Many people get this nonsense file permission error.
    Get Our vbulletin 6 themes

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
      • Oct 2012
      • 4.2.X

Thanks napy but I don't think it's a permission issue. All the files are 0644 and I could change the permission to that myself.

I was told by Wayne to upgrade my PHP version to 5.3+ since I was running yesterday on version 5.2. But that didn't solve the issue. I'm still getting a blank screen on the install script. It's even more frustrating when you're not getting an error message to know what to fix.

Wayne, are you still there?

- - - Updated - - -

Napy, I went in and manually rewrote the permissions on the folders from 0755 to 0644. Basically I wanted to refresh the permissions. And ... at least I'm not just getting a blank screen now. It says on the blank screen when trying to run the install script:

"403 Permission Denied

You do not have permission for this request /thevbforum/core/install/install.php"

But all the folders inside the folders for which I changed the permissions from 0755 to 0644 disappeared and the files' permissions became 0000. I had to change the permission back for the folders to their original and correct 0755 values.

Of course I got my now famous blank screen. So that's definitely not a permission issue. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke with one of the hostmonster techs and I also verified that they have mod_rewrite enabled on my account. So 100% of the system requirems is there.

From the error log, I'm getting a weird message saying "Failed opening required 'mywebsite/thevbforum/core/vb/vb.php". And that's the only error. The strange things is the fact that the word "install" is replaced by the word "vb". And of course, there's no folder and php file named "vb.php". I don't know how this thing is created nor why it has replaced the word "install".

Actually the init.php file in core/install/ on lines 82-83 does say something like:

if (!class_exists('vB')) {
      require_once(CWD . '/vb/vb.php');

And that's exactly where the install script stops executing and logs an error at line 83 for not being able to find/create the file. PLEASE HELP!
      Last edited by tibobdenazareth; Fri 12 Oct '12, 5:16pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

You can change permissions using chmod from the command line or your favorite FTP client by using the context menu for the files.

The script fails trying to include a file so the permissions on that file are probably incorrect as well. If you tell the system to set the files to 0644 and they end up as 0000, that isn't something we can help with. Folders should always be 0755 or 0777.. Files should be 0644.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Perhaps you are trying to install it into an old folder with files in it, perhaps your host's PHP has some problems.

I did try to install it under PHP 5.2, it simply rejected it.
          With PHP 5.3 ,correct config.php files I could install it without problems.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
            • Oct 2012
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            You can change permissions using chmod from the command line or your favorite FTP client by using the context menu for the files.

The script fails trying to include a file so the permissions on that file are probably incorrect as well. If you tell the system to set the files to 0644 and they end up as 0000, that isn't something we can help with. Folders should always be 0755 or 0777.. Files should be 0644.
            This permission thing has NEVER been an issue for me and it is NOT. The issue is the last thing I posted. Here it is again:

I spoke with one of the hostmonster techs and I also verified that they have mod_rewrite enabled on my account. So 100% of the system requirems is there.

From the error log, I'm getting a weird message saying "Failed opening required 'mywebsite/thevbforum/core/vb/vb.php". And that's the only error. The strange things is the fact that the word "install" is replaced by the word "vb". And of course, there's no folder and php file named "vb.php". I don't know how this thing is created nor why it has replaced the word "install".

Actually the init.php file in core/install/ on lines 82-83 does say something like:

And that's exactly where the install script stops executing and logs an error at line 83 for not being able to find/create the file. PLEASE HELP!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by beishe8
            Perhaps you are trying to install it into an old folder with files in it, perhaps your host's PHP has some problems.

I've NEVER had vbulletin before. So there's no older files issue. vb5 is my first and worst experience.

I have PHO 5.3+ and the proper config.php files.

Somebody MUST know something about that /fore/vb/vb.php file generated by the /core/install/init.php file. I purchased my vb5 yesterday. So perhaps I am the one with the weirdest kind of issues since vb5 seems to be going from bad to worst everytime the tech developers touch anything.

And help on this forum comes every couple of hours. I don't thing anybody deserves to go through so much misery in this day and age for a NEWER VERSION of something that worked before. And they asked us to pay for it!!!! I feel I am a lab rat and I paid to volunteer.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

This permission thing has NEVER been an issue for me and it is NOT. The issue is the last thing I posted. Here it is again:

And that's exactly where the install script stops executing and logs an error at line 83 for not being able to find/create the file. So that is the issue. That's where everything STOPS.

PLEASE HELP!

- - - Updated - - -

I've NEVER had vbulletin before. So there's no older files issue. vb5 is my first and worst experience.

I have PHP 5.3+ and the proper config.php files.

Somebody MUST know something about that /fore/vb/vb.php file generated by the /core/install/init.php file. I purchased my vb5 yesterday. So perhaps I am the one with the weirdest kind of issues since vb5 seems to be going from bad to worst everytime the tech developers touch anything.

And help on this forum comes every couple of hours. I don't thing anybody deserves to go through so much misery in this day and age for a NEWER VERSION of something that worked before. And they asked us to pay for it!!!! I feel I am a lab rat who paid to volunteer.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

The issue is why is that line failing for you and no one else?

Are there any disabled functions on your server? You can see this by looking at the phpinfo() output.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
                • Oct 2012
                • 4.2.X

Thanks Wayne. Understand I'm no programmer. But I know I have no disabled functions on my server. Where do I get the phpinfo() output? I only know of the error log and here's what's it's saying verbatum (and it is the SOLE error repeated for everytime I try to run the install script:

"PHP Warning: require_once(/home3/tibobden/public_html/thevbforum/core/vb/vb.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mywebsite.com/thevbforum/core/install/init.php on line 83

PHP Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/mywebsite.com/thevbforum/core/vb/vb.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php/53/usr/lib64:/usr/php/53/usr/share/pear') in /mywebsite.com/thevbforum/core/install/init.php on line 83"

Comment

• beishe8
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4.2.X

I have no experience with PHP, only with other languages.

Is it correct?
                  Should not be there a closing brace somewhere?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 4.2.X

I have no experience with PHP only with other languages.

Is it correct?
                    Should not be there a closing brace somewhere?
                    yes there's one on line 84.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Yeah.. It is on the next line. The entire block of code is:

PHP Code:
                      if (!class_exists('vB')) {
                          require_once(
                      CWD '/vb/vb.php');

Go into your Hostmonster Control Panel and make sure your set to use PHP 5.3 and not PHP 5.3 (Single PHP INI).

Still didn't answer the question about disabled functions if any.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 4.2.X

Yes, I'm using PHP 5.3, not the single php ini one.

I did say I don't thing I have any disabled functions. unless you would kindly tell me where would I see that if you know.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

All PHP settings are listed in the output of the phpinfo() function. It would also be listed in the php.ini though you probably don't have access to the root php.ini file.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tibobdenazareth
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 4.2.X

Wayne, thanks. I'm actually in live chat with hostmonster about the issue. I've just asked about the disabled function issue. Please let me know of anything else I should ask them about?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Sorry... Had to do family stuff and sleep.

Any results. Check to make sure the core/vb directory is there (one level higher than the install directory). Then make sure the vb.php file is inside the vb directory.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment