X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Veniamin
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.8.x

Upgrade issues

So far, I experienced a few consistent issues (appear every time I run the upgrade):

1. Several stops during the upgrade process. By refreshing the browser the scripts continue running from the problem point, and this way I am able to finish the install. If someone interested, I can provide more accurate information on this. (fix is coming: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4278)
    2. Unregistered users see message that they are permanently banned. (fixed)

3. Forums and topics don't open. (fixed: renamed forum directory)
    4. No groups at all (no shortcut on the navbar) Works now.
    5. Search doesn't work (finds nothing) Fixe is coming.
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4558

6. Channel management doesn't work (no forums are listed, and if I create a new channel, it disappears in thin air)
    7. The blogs don't open - fixed.
    8. (new bug) When switching style from DB to file, the background picture disappears. It just plain "black-on-white", even navbar.

More to come.
    Last edited by Veniamin; Fri 12 Oct '12, 10:02am.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

This is an upgrade from what version?

2. Did you check their settings in the Usergroup Manager to make sure it isn't a banned usergroup?

3. Don't open? What happens when you try to open them?

4. There should be a Groups navtab by default. What happens if you turn on the Site Builder and click on Navigation Bar - does it show up there?

5. Did you rebuild the search index after the upgrade?

6. You went to Site Builder > Page Manager > Forum and you see no forums listed? How about in admincp > Channel Manager - are any listed there?

7. When you say "don't open" what does this mean? Do you get a 404 page not found? Does it just refresh the page? What happens?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Veniamin
      • Apr 2007
      • 3.8.x

Upgrade from version 4.2

2. Yes, for some reason, it was set to "No". Fixed.

3. Error 500 (after re-doing the upgrade again, I am getting this message: "That action could not be completed. ...")

4. In site builder it gives me the following options: Home, FOrum, Blogs, CMS, Custom, Profile, Search. There is also entry in navbar called "NAVBAR_". What is it? (after re-upgrade this NAVBAR_ is actually leading to the social groups)

5. Rebuilding index doesn't finish (stuck on "Building Search Index 0 :: 50").

6. Forums are all listed in site builder, but not in Channel Manager.

7. When I click on any blog entry, it returns to the default blog page (latest activity page)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a little screenshot before and after upgrade. This is a forum title and description. Note that after upgrade the title is in a wierd encoding.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	3690447

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another screenshot of the errors during upgrade process.
      The error message says:
      error has occurred with your database. Please contact vBulletin Support for assistance.
      Module: 500a23, Step 2 Database Error:1064

Query:
      UPDATE setting SET
      value = value |
      WHERE varname = 'defaultregoptions'

Name:	1Hang.png
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	3690448

Another one: When I press "Rebuild thread information", I get page: "That action could not be completed"
      Last edited by Veniamin; Fri 28 Sep '12, 7:24pm.

Comment

• Veniamin
        • Apr 2007
        • 3.8.x

Looks like all my issues are from the errors during upgrade.
        First I get stuck on module 200a22 step 1, and had to refresh the page to get going. (It has to do something with blog)
        Then got error message from module 500a23 step 2. I tried to manually run this command: UPDATE setting SET value = value | WHERE varname = 'defaultregoptions' and MySQL says there is a syntax error. Can somebody explain what character "|" means?

MySQL version 5.1.58, which meet minimum requirements. Should I consider upgrading MySQL to the recommended version 5.5? Does VB4.2 run on MySQL 5.5?

Comment

• Lynne
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Oct 2004

You said it's an upgrade... is it on the same server as the original live site and made with a copy of the live database?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Veniamin
            • Apr 2007
            • 3.8.x

Yes, it's on the same server, but brand new folder (sub-domain) with a copy of the live database. I can run as many upgrades as it takes again and again.

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

Did you create the database backup via ssh or via some other method?

Comment

• Veniamin
                • Apr 2007
                • 3.8.x

Webmin >> Servers >> MySQL database server. I can try different backup option (MySQL Dumper).

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I changed two variables at the same time (bad idea for diagnostic, but it brought some results).
                1. Backup and restore using MySQL Dumber.
                2. Browser Mozilla instead of IE9.

Result: Still received syntax error during upgrade (same 500a23 step 2), refreshed through it, but didn't get stuck anywhere else. I suspect, thas was the browser issue. From now on, will use Mozilla only (to run upgrade).

Bad news: No other issues got fixed. I can access Social Groups when click on the link "NAVBAR_" on the navbar.\

Blogs: they don't open, but re-directed to the main blog page. I was able to create a blog entry (in somebody else's blog!) and it opens fine. No other blogs open.

Forum - when trying to open a thread or a channel (they called channels, don't they?), I get 500 error.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I just found that SQL error (500a23 step 2) will be fixed in version 5.0.0 Beta 13: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-4278

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

500 errors are server errors. You need to take a look at your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host).

Comment

• Veniamin
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 3.8.x

OK, I figured out problem with forum. I had directory "forum", and server got confused. Silly me. Renamed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, one big problem left: when click on blog's title, it opens list of persons blogs, instead of the blog entry itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Just discovered one more issue. This time it's encoding.
                    When I write in russian "Проверка" as a blog title, it saves it and shows as: & # 1055 ; & # 1088 ; & # 1086 ; & # 1074 ; & # 1077 ; & # 1088 ; & # 1082 ; & # 1072 ; (I incerted spaces manually to keep the numbers from turning into letters)

Same thing happens when I try to edit navbar. It shows the numbers, or adds "NAVBAR_" in front of the name. So, when I create navbar entry "Ноты", it saves it and shows in form of numbers, or like "NAVBAR_Ноты". When I go back to edit it, it shows it without name. See screenshot.

Name:	navbar.png
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	3690461

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

What collation is your database? And what collation are most of your tables?

Comment

• Veniamin
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 3.8.x

All tables are latin1_swedish_ci

- - - Updated - - -

collation_connection: latin1_swedish_ci
                        collation_database: latin1_swedish_ci
                        collation_server: latin1_swedish_ci

Comment

• Veniamin
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 3.8.x

I was playing more with the blogs.
                          I can create new blogs, and can open newly created blogs.
                          I can't open previous entries (from vb4).
                          The address for the new (working) blog entry: http://*****/blogs/testuser/107779-test#post107779
                          The address for the old (not working) blog entry: http://*****/blogs/testuser#post107060

Why the addresses are so different? When I click on the second address, it takes me to the list of all testuser blog entry.
                          I can click "see more" to read the whole post, but can't open it in a separate window.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Make sure you file a bug report about this.

Comment

• Veniamin
                              • Apr 2007
                              • 3.8.x

Bug report: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-5101

Comment